TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 When Your Thoughts Get in The Way

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wrldtrv Posted - 10/06/2006 : 19:44:07
This is pertinent, I think, to TMS-ers: What do you do when you backtrack mentally, eg the occasional doubts about TMS, thinking physically instead of psychologically?

This has been an issue for me lately. The reason? I still have a symptom that will simply not go away; the leg/butt tight-soreness that I've had for almost a year. I had the same thing almost five yrs ago and it lasted for many months and then disappeared for good. This time, it's hanging around. It doesn't really interfere with anything I do, running or whatever, but it's bothersome that it's still around. Many days it is gone only to reappear. Sometimes I think a long run will bring it on, but I'm not sure because sometimes running makes it better. It's not the phsical part of it that bothers me, but the background worry. I guess deep down my hypochondria fears warn me it is something serious. Even though last time it went away for a few years.

I HAVE made much progress in general. Most of the other symptoms I had over the past yr are either gone or visit only occasionally and mildly. One technique I have been using that I think has been pretty effective is "thought-stopping." I've gotten into the habit of carrying a rubberband on my wrist and then whenever I start to focus too much on physical symptoms, I snap it and shout "Stop!" to myself. This has worked for everything except for the leg/butt symptom. When that one is symptomatic I have a hard time tuning it out, not worrying about it, espec the longer it drags on.

I journal nearly every day, experimenting with various themes of early childhood, current stressor--whatever I can think of. Actually, this is nothing new, the journaling, except that now I have a definite purpose in mind.

What also seems to help is reading a Sarno book. While I'm reading it I feel hopeful and my belief is strong. That wears off if I am away from these ideas for awhile.

Anyone have any particularly effective attention-getters? I need some strong medicine, maybe something stronger than what I've been using.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000