TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tendonitis/RSI in both hands/wrists

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IcyScythe Posted - 08/28/2006 : 15:27:58
Hey all!

I've been suffering from what's been diagnosed as tendonitis/RSI in both of my hands and wrists (and somewhat in the forearms) for about a year and a half. I've also had upper and lower backpain for about 2 and half years and knee pain for 4 years. I also recently developed ear pain. Are these all TMS related? I think I do fit in with the "TMS personality" described by Dr. Sarno. I work very hard at things I love (such as physical conditioning, guitar practice, etc...) and am pretty hard on myself when it comes to failing at anything. I feel low self esteem when I have trouble achieving things, and I worry alot.

I've been reading Dr. Sarno's book "Mindbody perscription" for about 2 days now (I read about an hour of it a day) and I REALLY hope this works. I'm skeptical I admit, but I'm trying to accept the theory as fact (as I understand this is crucial to recovery).

I'm starting college in about a week and I really need to recover from the hand problem fast or I'm in serious trouble as typing for long periods of time is excruciatingly painful for me. I've been through all kinds of treatment both conventional and alternative including drugs, massage, the Egoscue method, trigger point therapy, and magnets all to no avail. I'm desperate to recover quickly from this as I want to resume working out and playing guitar again (the guitar is what led to me getting this). I've had to lay off of almost every single hobby I enjoy for the past year and a half and I'm really hoping this mindbody thing works.

So... I'd really appreciate any advice those of you who've recovered from TMS have to share (particularly those who had RSI in their hands, as this is the thing I most want to recover from, over the back, knees, and ear pain). Apart from reading the book over and over till I get better (I'm on page 53 so far on the first reading) what can I do? Please give me clear instructions if you can, step-by-step mental excercises if you will. PLEASE be SPECIFIC. For example, I've read that I'm supposed to "meditate" on what's causing my problems... how do I do this?

I just really need help in recovering from this quickly, because like I said, once I'm in college typing out papers constantly I'm going to have trouble.

Also, what's the probable timeframe for recovery? Is there any way to force a reaction like that described in "Helen's" letter in the book to get better instantly? Also, will the recovery be gradual, with a progessive lessening of pain or will I just wake one morning completely better?

Thanks alot for any help!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IcyScythe Posted - 09/21/2006 : 12:55:18
Why not just bombard them with TMS info (if you got better... that's pretty good proof!), in a nice way of course?

In other news I sprained my wrist (I guess that's what it is) today in rugby but that'll surely go away in a few days and it'll be back to just battling the TMS.
armchairlinguist Posted - 09/21/2006 : 10:33:58
tt, good observation that the board itself is a great proving ground for Sarno's theories! I agree that RSI is epidemic because it's in vogue, just like ulcers once were. Here in Silicon Valley, who doesn't have RSI?

I sometimes worry that by moderating a group on RSI on LiveJournal (which I started before I heard of TMS), I'm encouraging people to think it's real and to be reinforced in their beliefs about it. Everyone currently in the community knows that I recovered using the Sarno method and no longer believe in RSI (well, they do if they read my long entry that says that), but I think for most of them it probably went right over their head with a "But that's not my problem" thought. I've been considering transferring the moderation to someone else, but then there might not be any voices of reason for those few who might be able to benefit.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
tennis tom Posted - 09/21/2006 : 08:52:42
Purely looking at the stats on this thread, (the number of reads and replies), the numbers seem to prove Dr. Sarno's assertion that TMS epedemic symptoms are a matter of what is in vogue at the moment.

Many people keyboard today in offices, at cashier stations, at home, me right now. We need a symptom to hang our TMS hat on and RSI seems a logical unconscious choice--a form of group psychosis. I remember at the tennis club a while back, the attractive and athletic wife of the tennis pro got plantar fascitis and so did many of the other club ladies--co-incidence or TMS?

I see all these people with wrist and hand support bandages. They tend to reinforce the RSI dx, a group identity, commonality, support for the dx--sort of like getting tatoos and finding new friends to show and tell.

In our culture it is OK to use injuries or superficial topics as conversation starters--but not what you discussed with your shrink today. Isn't a shrink's waiting room one of the most awkward of places to be sitting? If not, why are they so careful to schedule people, so they don't run into each other, and have a backdoor to leave so ignominiously. If there are others waiting, no acknowledgement or eye-contact; just hideing behind Vanity Fair's and New Yorker's .

IcyScythe Posted - 09/20/2006 : 17:28:52
I tried listening to those, but I could only understand the intro, outro and first speaker because of the quality.

Thanks though.
armchairlinguist Posted - 09/19/2006 : 15:34:54
Rachel's website has some stories that are free, if you haven't listened to them:

http://podolsky.everybody.org/rsi/audio/

I don't know about the other stuff.

--
IcyScythe Posted - 09/19/2006 : 12:20:04
Thanks everybody for the advice... you have no idea (or maybe you do ;)) how encouraging it is to hear from people who've succeeded.

What's the cheapest place I can get the tapes/cds? (I already just ordered like 4 more books on tms to read in addition to the mindbody prescription)
h2oskier25 Posted - 09/19/2006 : 09:19:06
quote:
Originally posted by IcyScythe
I'm kinda worried again that I'm not going to recover.

Yeah, there's your TMS. I used to have those same thoughts when I needed to get better fast for the new job. I orderer Dr. Schechter's tapes, and there's a part in there where he says something like.

"Just need to remind yourself that the pain is Not anything destructive or damaging going on, but rather a benign condition initiated by the brain resulting from emotional issues."

That's it. Just keep repeating that to yourself. I'd even do it in front of a mirror so you would get through to your subconscious.

Regards,

Beth
Penny Posted - 09/18/2006 : 18:40:06
quote:
Originally posted by IcyScythe

Also... something interesting: About a week ago some teeth in my jaw started hurting whenever I swallow or eat something even slightly cold. I did have a tooth repaired back there so that might be it... or maybe it's TMS...??

Hi Icy, The day I had my first pyschoT appt, I had stabbing pain in my jaw on my toothline. I nearly cancelled my appt to go see a DDS instead, then I remembered symptom imperative!!!! My subc was trying to divert me --aha! Yes, I bet that's what you've got going on. I went to therapy and it lessened. By next day it was barely there.

You're onto your subconscious and it doesn't like it so it's throwing some curve balls to try to distract you. Whatever you're doing, keep it up! Talk to it, tell it to stop, tell it you know what it's doing! You're winning!

>|< Penny
PS If your tooth falls out or is loose, see a DDS

Non illigitamus carborundum.
armchairlinguist Posted - 09/18/2006 : 16:11:57
Icy,

It sounds like you may be entering the phase of TMs where it moves around to different places and may even seem to get worse. Keep up the work and try to dig deeper if you can, because you're probably headed the right direction.

--
HilaryN Posted - 09/18/2006 : 13:51:25
Icy,

Don't be discouraged. It can take a while.

Hilary N
IcyScythe Posted - 09/16/2006 : 22:53:24
Well about 3 weeks in... my wrists still hurt. Like I said I think it has subsided slightly. But I stress slightly. I'm kinda worried again that I'm not going to recover. It's hard to stay positive. I tried playing guitar today for the first time in a year and a half. Went alright I guess. I played for an hour or so. Painful, albeit slightly less than before.

Anyone got any more tips? I read Sarno 30 pages everyday and journal for about 15 minutes a day. How much longer is this going to go on? I'm so tired of having to put up with this. My knee and back pain also started acting up at rugby practice today (just started).

Also... something interesting: About a week ago some teeth in my jaw started hurting whenever I swallow or eat something even slightly cold. I did have a tooth repaired back there so that might be it... or maybe it's TMS...??
HilaryN Posted - 09/09/2006 : 10:43:42
Penny,

I just read your WWMICD? (What would my inner child do) post and I loved it. Thanks for sharing it.

Hilary N
miehnesor Posted - 09/08/2006 : 17:59:22
quote:
Originally posted by Penny

For those of you IC/Id pros, do you know if the IC in us is anything but a greedy, self centered, glutonous (sp), narcisist? I just wondered if she has any redeeming qualities that are NOT self serving alike my those conscious possesses: e.g. kindness, thoughtfulness, nurturing etc.

For sure the IC has the above mentioned qualities but if you want to get the most out of IC work you have to view the IC in a much different light IMO. Think of the IC as a real child. What would you as an adult say to the child that would provide protection, comfort, love, support, understanding, help for her aloneness etc. etc. Imagine what the child needs and then give it to the child. Just a little bit every day is all that is needed. Go into this dialog with the intent to learn the secrets that the IC is holding on to. The IC of a person who has TMS has a lot of repressed feelings and pain for sure. They are waiting for someone to notice them and value their feelings. They will eventually come out and it will not feel very good but it will be the real thing and you will feel relief in the connection.
sonora sky Posted - 09/08/2006 : 16:01:38
Thanks Bonnie and acl, I think you're right on about the IC. Bonnie, your post reminded me of my husband. I often think of him as having many child-like (not child-ish) qualities that I so admire. I'm greatful that they have in turn brought out these qualities that I was neglecting in myself. It was such a surprise to see that these magical qualities were still there inside me--I thought they were long gone. But it feels so great to just be silly, goofy, spontaneous, and intuitive from time to time--things I haven't allowed myself to do for years. I really yearn for this release from straight-laced adulthood. Deep down I wish I could be an artist (pure childlike creativity) instead of an (analytical) art historian.

ss
Bonnie Posted - 09/08/2006 : 12:09:40
Penny, you asked if there were postive things from the Inner child, I think the inner child is also the magical innocent part of ourselves that looks at the world and sees the magic in the world that the adult will no longer allow themselves to see. I think a lot of writers and artist, if they're honest, will admit that it's the inner child who dictates a lot of what we write or draw or paint, it's that part of you that hasn't been boxed in yet by the big bad institutionalized world where everything and everyone has to toe the same line. I believe it's not just having the biggest piece of cake, although that's there too, or being angry and feeling judged when someone doesn't like what you've written or tried to do, it's also that ability to cut throught the bull**** and see clearly the way children do, to the chagrin of their parents. They haven't been socialized to lie or turn a blind eye to the truth. I think there is a part of us that knows how unrealistic our lives and actions and habits have become, how trapped in joining the party and spouting the party line, keeping up to the Joneses in so many things that don't matter, and we're denying it with every breath and paying the price for it with our pain. Allowing ourselves to see clearly is imperative, not to act if it's not appropriate, but to see clearly, is essential to healing and that means acknowledging that child that has been so desperately depressed and locked away while we try to be what society demands we be. It started at home and continued in school where we were locked into our little ticky tacky boxes and expected to be just like everyone else, so of course that still small voice inside us is furiously angry that he or she has been ignored and discounted. And we are missing the magic, not seeing the beauty and sweetness and joy around us.
Just my opinion.
Bonnie
armchairlinguist Posted - 09/07/2006 : 14:29:24
I don't know for sure if Sarno thinks that the inner child has "positive" qualities, or what they are, but I do remember in MBP that he said he wasn't listing all the qualities of the IC, just the ones that cause problems, so I'm guessing there are some other unconscious feelings, not just those that provoke TMS attacks.

One thing that can be helpful to remember is that the IC is not really a child; it's just useful to think of it that way. It has a lot of emotions that we associate with children, because those are the parts of ourselves that we repress (being that they're not considered appropriate for grownups). But I think there's plenty that we repress that isn't necessarily childish. One good example would be sexual attraction. It's a strain of "not getting what you want" ("getting what you want" being a childish desire) but it's not a feeling a child would have.

Also, a lot of the things Sarno touches on that can cause rage, like sadness and loss, are not really "negative". Being able to feel sad and lonely and lost is not a good or fun feeling, but it comes from our capacity for caring and desire to connect, something I think we sometimes repress along with the sadness and loss it brings.

So basically I guess I don't think that the IC -- the unconscious -- is just a "greedy, self-centered, gluttonous narcissist". The unconscious is the part of us that we don't acknowledge, whether that part is selfish or tender, angry or sexual. It probably differs from person to person, too!

--
Penny Posted - 09/07/2006 : 12:49:03
For those of you IC/Id pros, do you know if the IC in us is anything but a greedy, self centered, glutonous (sp), narcisist? I just wondered if she has any redeeming qualities that are NOT self serving alike my those conscious possesses: e.g. kindness, thoughtfulness, nurturing etc. Right now I only identify the first list for my IC ... just wondered if this is inline with Freud. I've been reading TDM and other Sarno books, but I think I've read too much as I can't remember.

Another question: What is our alter ego? Is that another word for Id?

>|< Penny

miehnesor Posted - 09/07/2006 : 12:16:46
Penny- I have also found the IC work to be the key to my TMS symptom reduction and to other benefits to my life as well. It is IMO an incredibly powerful tool for attacking TMS especially persistant TMS that does not yield to the first line of attack of accepting the symptoms and not fearing them. Its slow but it works because it acknowledges the unconscious and in time reveals the secrets of the unconscious.
armchairlinguist Posted - 09/07/2006 : 10:57:08
Hi Penny,

I do something very like what you described. If I feel confused/deadened/inexplicably tired/any TMS pain symptom/a twinge of unexpected emotion (these are the harbingers of repressed emotion for me), I try to think about how I would feel in the situation if I were my inner child.

Alarm goes off for work, I'm feeling bizarrely exhausted? The IC wants to stay in bed.
I spend some time listening to a friend or loved one talk about their problems, and the next day my neck is sore? The IC wants to talk about ME ME ME.

I love your example about the cake. I do that too, I give the bigger half or the last bite te someone else. And the IC wants it.

It's been really enlightening and liberating to me to acknowledge that I have all these crazy feelings. I think it's important for us all to do that -- be aware of and experience (to the extent possible) the feelings. But we don't have to act on them, at least not toward the people and in the situation. It doesn't make us bad people just to have the feelings -- just normal -- which is a really relieving thing to know.

--
Penny Posted - 09/06/2006 : 20:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by Maryalma8

Penny,
How did you come about realizing what the jealousies and angers were? What lightbulb finally turned on over your head?
I ask because I am encouraged by your posting.
Mary

Hi Mary,
At the risk of sounding like "Sybil" (schizophrenic sp?) I share this with you But I preface by saying I don't know EXACTLY what they are, b/c they are in my unconscious, but I've been hazarding to guess.

I started asking myself a difficult question: What could my unconscious (inner child) be thinking in this situation? One example is the other night I gave my husband a larger piece of cake than I gave myself. Now, consciously I felt good about it: He's the love of my life, he should have a bigger piece, he deserves a bigger piece. BUT was my unconscious in agreement ... probably not. She may have been thinking "NO!!! Dam*it! I want the bigger piece!!!! I work harder, I like cake more than he does! I should get the bigger one. BOO bloody HOO!!!!"

This sounds silly, and perhaps a seemingly insignificant example of an action I have done all my life: Not putting myself first, not feeling WORTHY of taking the larger piece. BUT after 35 years of this, it's probably this type of tiny little put-down that has added up to all my physical problems.

To practice this, I ask myself through out the day, WWMICD? (What would my inner child do). Is she upset by this? Could she be jealous? I don't necessarily have to bow to my inner child and give her what she wants, but just the acceptance that she has feelings ALL the time that are constantly overlooked and probably in opposition to my daily actions has helped me come to terms with some new feelings of inadequacy.

I have NEVER allowed myself to be jealous or angry person. VERRRRY rarely in my entire life b/c I believe these emotions are limiting and unproductive: Those emotions are not part of my emotional output. But the fact is, these are two very real emotions that even Buddha and Jesus probably felt. We--like them--are human, and jealousy and anger are part of the human experience. I know that these emotions are in me, I've just never expressed them. Perhaps repressing and denying them is the root of my problems? Just the act of proposing that I could be jealous or angry about certain small AND large things in my life has opened up some things to me. I'm not sure how much of the TMS has been healed by this, but I've certainly tapped something liberating. I won't stay in this analysis mode forever b/c that would be equally unhealthy, but for now, analysis on these two emotions has been very helpful. (or should I say 3, the third being inadequacy) I've only been doing it for a few days now, but I've spent many hours considering and journaling.

Other possible examples
Getting out of bed in the morning to make the family breakfast and get kids to school. WWMICD? stay in bed til hunger, thirst or bathroom made getting out absolutely necessary.
Letting my husband watch his show when I wanted to watch something on PBS. WWMICD? Pull the plug on the TV so no one can watch anything ... OR rattle him and get in a fight by insisting and over reacting so I get my own way.

I'm sure you catch my drift. I hope this was as helpful to you as it was to me to write. It just makes so much sense to me now, all of a sudden. It gets clearer and clearer.

If you ask yourself this (WWMICD), I'd love to hear what you come up with. That would make me feel less of a freak for sharing my brain matter

>|< Penny

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000