TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Dropped head syndrome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  11:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Sarno mentions foot drop as possibly mind body based. But has anyone heard of TMS theory addressing dropped head syndrome? Probably a side effect of botox injections in the back of the head, back of the neck, and shoulder areas for chronic migraine that I had about 3.25 months ago, but it sure is taking a long time to improve. Has been nearly 3 months so far since symptoms arose and only marginal, if any, improvement so far. Working with the neurologist to see if there could be other causes. Ruled out skeletal/spine issues with X-Rays - still the possibility of a neuromuscular disease but would be unusual to have only an isolated muscle area affected (weakness of the neck extensor muscles). Takes about 3 months for the botox toxins to dissipate and a bit longer for the neuromuscular junctions that have been destroyed to regenerate. Could still be the botox toxins but I am getting worried due to the slow, if any, progress.

Edited by - Fox on 06/07/2017 17:15:56

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  18:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your situation, my guess it will clear up in a short period of time. Were you aware that migraines were Dr. Sarno's own condition that lead him to his TMS theory, after a psychiatrist colleague clued him in to the psychosomatic nature of his migraines?
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  09:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am. I haven't gotten much help from TMS so far for my migraines, but I've tried and will keep trying. Thanks for reminding me of this because I need to keep up the Sarno effort on this problem. I think there is a genetic component in my case since my Mom had them bad for 40 years, until she died, and my son does, too, but less frequently than my Mom and I and with a more clear cut aura. However, it could still be internal pressure/rage which turns on an individual migraine at any one time, for distraction purposes, even though I may have an underlying genetic vulnerability. It could my "distraction of choice" nowadays..What Sarno has been great for is just about totally ridding me of my 30 years of sciatica...The problem with my migraines, that led my neurologist and I to trying botox (for the first and last time!) was the frequency of the migraines. Taking a beta blocker and a channel blocker lowered my HBP and took away the nausea, vomiting, and severe pain associated with my migraines but left me with the same frequency and mild to moderate pain and stupor during each migraine. Maxalt is a wonder drug for me to take away most of the pain when the migraines occur but I still have the spaciness, exhaustion, and stupor during those times and my insurance company is very tight on how many Maxalt I can obtain per month.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  16:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fox

... Thanks for reminding me of this because I need to keep up the Sarno effort on this problem.

You may want to review the pertinent citations in Dr. Sarno's books, regarding his epiphany to the TMS/psychosomatic emotional origins discovering that his migraines were TMS. It may give you the reassurance you need to pursue the TMS route.

quote:
...I think there is a genetic component in my case since my Mom had them bad for 40 years, until she died, and my son does, too, but less frequently than my Mom and I and with a more clear cut aura.

There could also be a socio/cultural factors, where a TMS symptom can be passed down from one generation to another. I'm not saying that is what it is in your case, but it is also worth investigating.

Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  19:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom. I'll look at it. Been a while.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  11:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted you guys to know that my dropped head/neck problem is finally resolving. Started to feel and see improvement about a month ago. I am relieved that, based on the timing of the beginning of healing, the issue appears to have been the Botox, which should have cleared out of my system by now, and my wonderful body is now doing its work in regenerating the nerves that were destroyed. Should recover all my neck function within the next 8 months or so...When the TV ads trying to sell Botox for migraines mention the possibility of muscle weakness as a side effect, they're not kidding.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  09:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, the invasive medical/industrial complex strikes again! Glad to hear your body is healing itself--we are our own best doctor usually if we allow nature and Dr. Sarno to take its courses.

When I had my duodenal ulcer years ago, and lost half my blood, the ER tech had difficulty getting a needle in my forearm to find any blood to draw for the labs. He had to press down really hard and in so doing "pinched" a nerve at my wrist. It just went numb after that. They pumped me back up with a full load of hemoglobin for a few days and my wrist still felt numb. At the pre-checkout consult with the attending physician, I asked him about my numb wrist, he nonchalanlty advised me it would go away--and in due time it did. I played in a tournament two days later and never felt better--turns out with the tranfusion of half my blood, I was blood dopng--don't tell the ITF or USTA.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  10:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since there appeared to be no other option to my dropped head syndrome, and the problem persisted for 14 months with only minor improvement (which had plateaued), I had a 6 level cervical fusion 3 months ago performed by a scoliosis surgical expert. It did correct the dropped head and my recovery in regard to the neck itself has been smooth - only minor neck and shoulder pain remains - after long periods of activity. However, other surgical side effects have been horrendous, at least temporarily. Double vision - for the first month, now only about 20% of the time - scheduled to see ophthalmologist. Complete inability to swallow for first two months - had to feed through a PEG tube - did not know if would recover - then swallowing function slowly came back - working with speech therapist on swallowing exercises - about 80% back on swallowing. After 2.5 months, I started shedding lots of hair - should last from several months to 6 months, possibly one year...Am I glad I did the surgery? Absolutely.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000