TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 18 year old athlete with TMS, need help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AdhamO

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  17:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys, I need your help

A month and a half ago I 'injured' my back. I do something called Jiu Jitsu, it's a form of grappling in which there's a lot of twisting and turning of the neck and back involved. One day after training, my right arm was incredibly numb and I got really bad back spasms. I went to a Chiropractor and an Orthopeadic Surgeon. The chiropractor didn't do much, and in fact he gave me muscle relaxants that had me have a panic attack when I was laying in bed and couldn't feel my body. All he did was tell me how my posture was horrible and he made me feel like I was in a lot of danger. I'm 6 foot 4, so forward head posture is very normal for people my height, yet the chiropractor made me worry so much about my posture.

After that, I got an MRI and an X-ray. 2 bulging discs in my neck that aren't touching any sort of nerves. So at this point, my arms numbness goes away, but my back spasm/tightness never does. So it's been 3 weeks and I just have tightness and spasm in my back and neck (location of pain depends on the mood my TMS it seems). I decide to take two weeks off training (up until that point I had just ignored the pain). This is exactly when I stumble upon Sarno's book. When I read the reviews on amazon it gave me a lot of anxiety, because I couldn't believe that I could have this so called TMS. I bought the book and read it back to back in one sitting. I was enlightened to say the least. This was 2 weeks ago, I stopped all physical therapy and resumed lifting at the gym. My pain had subsided about 60% and became very tolerable, so I decided to take Sarno's advice and go back to training. I trained yesterday and didn't get any pain. However, this morning I woke up with very bad pain in my upper trap which makes my neck very tight. Every time I move my neck to the sides it cracks because of this tightness. I don't know if I should continue training and ignore the pain or not. It's honestly very hard to ignore, but I know there' s nothing physically wrong with my neck or back.

One last thing, I've been working hard at exploring my psychology, my thought patterns and my emotions. I have anxiety now and then, but I've never seemed to be an angry person. I discovered after reading Sarno's book that the reason I work so hard in college (NYU) and training is because I'm obsessed with getting respect from others and not feeling inferior as I've been feeling my entire life. I think it's such a burden to my happiness. I don't know, I just thought maybe some of you could help me figure out if I should go back to training or take some more time off. Training is the most important thing for me and being injured has always been my biggest fear.

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  09:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi AdhamO,

Wow you sure you're only 18, you can write like a professional. You understand this TMS stuff as well as anyone here. If it's TMS (which it sounds like it is) it may take a little time for it to go away. It will slowly fade away, one morning you may wake up and you "absent mindedly" realize it's not there. I just had a shoulder that did that. The more times you conquer TMS, experiencing your personal TMS science, the better you get at managing it.

Play with it, work around it, give yourself rewards to average out your rage/soothe ratio. Read another TMS book, a lot of us here are reading Steven Ray Ozanich's new TMS book "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION". By the time you're done with it you should be fully TMS brainwashed. You can email SteveO also, he's very generous with his help.

Another new TMS book is by a TMS therapist Nicole Sachs, who worked with Dr. Sarno for years at his TMS group lectures at NYU. It's called "THE TRUTH". Dr. Sarno recently retired from NYU Rusk, his successor there is Dr. Ira Rashbaum, M.D.

Don't rush it too much, you can't really, the TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN has to sink into the MINDBODY's cellular subconscious at a rate of it's own choosing. The pain just fades away when the fear of it is overcome. You sound like many who have come through here who are athletic, intelligent, get-it and go on their merry way. They are highly motivated to return to using their bodies, but may have been scared to do so by the dire warnings of chiro-quack-ters and other white coats as you have personally experienced. I had one chiro-quack-ter take an x-ray of my back and mistook my left testicle for a tumor. I play a lot of tennis with docs and their line calls often aren't any better then others.

What are you studying at NYU? You are very intelligent and write VERY well especially for an 18 year old.

G'luck!
tt

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/28/2013 09:16:29
Go to Top of Page

alangordon

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  16:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adam,
Maybe it's TMS, maybe it's an acute injury. Sometimes people injure their backs, and it can take anywhere from 2-8 weeks to heal. It's clear that there's nothing structurally wrong with you given your MRI results, the best way to know definitively whether it's TMS is if it's 12 weeks out, and there's still pain.

I'd caution you to just assume that it's psychological (even if you fit the psychological criteria) since it's so soon after your injury.

Incidentally I'm also 6'4 and used to do brazilian jiu jitsu. My big move was the triangle.

Alan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000