TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Again is it TMS? Please help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  14:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you can see from my previous post, I was pain free for more than a month, using TMS approach. However, I was completely distracted since I was on holidays and I didn't do anything that might worsen my condition, such as working with a computer, holding my cell phone, etc. I had a relapse now because I'm in severe pain after returning to my usual chores. That is, burning pain in my arms, numbness, heaviness, and a sensation as if someone was grabbing my arms.

I once e-mailed John Sarno and asked him if nerve compression syndromes really existed. He answered me of course they exist. He didn't tell me if they had their origin in physical conditions or psychosomatic issues. Also he didn't tell me if surgery was beneficial.

Today i saw these vídeos on the web:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2005/0707-back_pain_relief.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSvqARwg6nY

what is strange is why MRI neurography isn't widely accepted.

After spotting the problema, the treatment done is a local injection of anestesic in the muscle that is disturbing the nerve path. Which may solve the pain issue but might come back in my opinion.

So I ask:
Do you think that this chronic muscle spasm that doctor Aron Filler talks about on the vídeo is caused by TMS?

Why do you think Dr Sarno gave me such na odd answer? Can you please comment on the vídeos? Are those lies?

Thanks a lot
Filipe

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  09:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you continue to go down the path of being skeptical and trying to "prove" to yourself that physical issues are not responsible for your pain, then you will not experience any relief if the symptoms are in fact psychogenic.

My advice remains the same as on the previous thread. Until you are ready to commit 100% to treating your symptoms as TMS, you need to first exhaust all of the treatment options in the structural and physical realms. Perhaps once you get that out of your system you will be ready to take the leap of faith required to gain relief from TMS symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  09:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filipe, what's going on in your life that may be causing symptoms if they are TMS? See the Rahe-Holmes list in the link:

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  16:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for replying.

What's strange about my condition is that I've never been pain free when using the computer.Using TmS approach I was able to be pain free after using it, though, but right now I can't even do that. I feel guilty after using it because I'm deeply convinced that is this that is perpetuating my pain
Maybe it is because when I felt pain for the first time I read awful things about RSI and also about nerve injuries.

Anyway, yesterday, I went to the physiotherapist and he confirmed the same diagnosis doctors had made 3 years ago - which is epycondilitis. With radial nerve pain which is related to it. I know that thereis nothing inflammed on my tendons, i'm quite sure it is a matter of oxygen deprivation. However, I'd like to know 1 thing. What does this deprivation do to the muscles themselves? what does a physiotherapist find in my muscle? On page 280 of the book divided mind, they speak about Dr. Sarno's physical examination. It says that in the lateral epycondile of the elbow there is usually tender áreas in people suffering from TmS.
Waht does this means exactly?
Is it the same finings that traditional physitherapists name as inflammed. Is chronic epycondilitis TMs?
Thanks and I know i keep insisting in the physical part but Istill have this in my mind...

Thanks
Filipe

Edited by - filipe on 09/17/2013 16:32:09
Go to Top of Page

alangordon

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  17:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filipe,
You need to consult with a TMS physician. The level of doubt you have right now seems so great, I'm not sure anything short of confirmation from a physician can lead to full fledged acceptance. I recommend Dr. Schubiner or Dr. Schechter. Dr. Schubiner would probably talk with you over the phone or over email (hschubiner@gmail.com) if you don't have any TMS docs in your area.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  18:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo Alan's encouragement to speak with Dr. Schu.
He chatted with me at the end of his busy day for no charge simply because I was desperate. He's a good man.

We all walk through the fires of doubt. One day it makes sense, and then the real work begins...
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  01:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again... I'm really scared.. I mean, it's almost impossible to live and work without using a computer today...and I have a small child :(

I love filming (that was a good distraction from my pain) but vídeo editing today has to be done over computer... I used to do videocplips has my favorite hobby... I'm beginnig to hate computers because I can't use them without pain ... Hate, fear, guilt, despair, dependancy, this is not good :( I spent a lot of time filming and than I feel guilty because, I know I can't edit it on a computer...

Stuffy wheather is bad, cold wheather is good... what do you think about wheatehr and TMS, by the way?

Do you know if i could have a pay consultation with him over skype?

Thanks again :)

PS: I ask my wife to write my posts...

Edited by - filipe on 09/18/2013 01:57:48
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  03:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
filipe,

Have a look at these links from the tms wiki;

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/2-my-success-story.127/page-2#post-9259

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/2-my-success-story.127/#post-846

Let us know what you think after.

Not sure if Dr. Schu does skype. Do write to him and find out.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  10:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, you are consumed with thinking physical. You have convinced yourself that using the computer is the cause of your problems.

Although you say you are reading Dr. Sarno, it seems the concepts are not sinking in, or you are not fully appreciating them.

In order to gain relief from TMS symptoms you must first accept that the TMS diagnosis applies to you. You are not there yet. Either you must take a leap of faith and act as if you believe and follow the treatment suggestions in Dr. Sarno's book, or you must abandon the TMS path for now and continue to treat the pain as a structural problem. You cannot choose both.

All of your messages are focused entirely on the physical realm. Have you given any thought at all to what psychological issues might be contributing to the symptoms?
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  16:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it's been said in Dr Sarno's book the brain creates doubt. Sometimes I'm 100% sure it's tmS, however my brain keeps telling me that the reason I'm better is because the weather is cooler, I'm not using the pc, etc. the thing is that I kept on doing my exercises and the pain 1st appeared when the weather was hotter. It all started with an itching sensation in my arms, never had I heard of chronic pain, nor nerve pain. I've always been convinced that I would be cured in the couple of weeks after beginning physitherapy. well, that wasn't so. i remembre that it took more than 3 months for me to understand that the burning sensation I have is called neuropathic pain.

I learned about that through a comercial of pfizer. It said that the pain was real. What I'm trying to say is that my subconscious brain is convinced tat I had nerve damage.

It all came after my son was born. Many people said this was the cause of my symptoms. Now i'm afraid of losing my job and that is certainly connected to my pain.I really believe this is TMS, but I became obsessed with the idea of trying to understand what had happened to my tissues. 1 image worth a thousand words. How I which to see what is happening inside.

I used to believe in doctors, you know. i used to do and take all meds they told me to. Now I'm understanding that we're all living a lie and health became a business. It's difficult to relax your mind when the future is uncertain, and there is a son depending on me.

Thanks and sorry if I repeat myself

PS: I didan exam that showed cleary that I had blodflow problems at both my elbows at the arteriolas... Oxygen depravation. Those áreas were cooler... typical TMS, right? :)

Edited by - filipe on 09/18/2013 16:36:12
Go to Top of Page

ozagnes

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  18:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Filipe,

For what it's worth, I am ALWAYS much better, if not pain free, when on holidays, and when I get back I get a pain flare. It is because on holidays you are not in your routine, your brain is too busy planning and doing new things. It is ridiculous to the point that when I came to the US in 2010 to get pelvic surgery, on that trip I did not have much pain (well, before the surgery at least), whereas I should have been extremely worried about the surgery itself which involved 4 weeks recovery lying in bed. But the surgery acted as a distraction! Routine is what gives your mind the chance to focus on the pain.
Unfortunately we can not be on holidays all the time :)

It probably depends on people, but for me, the pain always comes with a delay, at least one day after the psychological stress. When I am in the thick of the "problem", I am too busy to have pain. It is when I can rest that the pain increases. I think some people experience this with anxiety, so they always need to have a project to work on, because when they stop and rest then anxiety kicks in.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  01:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

that is exactly what happened to me... distraction is the key...in a way, pain is like anxiety... you get to anxious when you don't have nothing to do...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000