TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Healing has begun my aha moment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alangordon

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  15:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obsessive thoughts are often just another manifestation of TMS. Just as the pain can serve as a vessel for preoccupation, so can obsessive thoughts, ruminating, etc. It can be helpful to see these thoughts as TMS, a way that your mind is trying to keep you preoccupied. This can make it easier not to buy into them. Mindfulness meditation is a good practice for letting thoughts go without getting pulled this way and that by them.
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  19:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If OCD or anxiety with thoughts is Tms , how do you deal with it? It's psychological which is what we are suppose to think.

That's what I don't get
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  02:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DrewMartin

Great to hear you are doing better. My therapist used the same technique - whenever I laughed or chuckled or snorted while talking about an issue she locked onto it and made me really dig in. "What's so funny about that?" was a common refrain.
Now I notice when I am doing it and stop to think about it - it means you are using some technique to avoid difficult emotions and these can cause TMS if ignored in my case.

Thanx for this insight... I think we all once and a while laugh at something sad or terrible. I can better laugh about it than cry. Never thought about it as a defence mechanism.
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  10:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would rather run from a lion than deal with Tms and its many forms showing itself in the body and mind.

It's so tricky to keep your head level and right through this ordeal but once the idea of Tms really hits it hits invalidating most of your symptoms and in my case the last few days putting them somewhere else not even related to the original spot
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  13:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by icelikeaninja

I would rather run from a lion than deal with Tms and its many forms showing itself in the body and mind.

It's so tricky to keep your head level and right through this ordeal but once the idea of Tms really hits it hits invalidating most of your symptoms and in my case the last few days putting them somewhere else not even related to the original spot

Once you start to learn how to deal with TMS, I rather have TMS than run from a lion....

Great news that things are shifting, I see that as progress.. you got it on the run.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  20:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update guys. I emailed dr Sarno about allopecia and he says he cannot recall treating this as TMS. That does not mean it is not but I just wanted to let you guys know.

Edited by - Ace1 on 07/21/2013 20:05:58
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  21:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know he still corresponded with email . Still the NYU one?

I will ask for specifics when I see my therapist again (Friday).

She said he was on the verge of discovering something with alopecia and Tms shortly before he retired. I didn't ask for specifics but she seemed kind of bummed out that the study was not concluded.

Maybe a piece of the puzzles were coming together before he could accurately say it was Tms?

quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Just an update guys. I emailed dr Sarno about allopecia and he says he cannot recall treating this as TMS. That does not mean it is not but I just wanted to let you guys know.

Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  01:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If OCD or anxiety with thoughts is Tms , how do you deal with it? It's psychological which is what we are suppose to think.

That's what I don't get

Ice, besides meditating on Ace1's Keys, I would suggest the mother of all anxiety books: "Mental Health Through Will Training", by Abraham Low. He is the DI of the anxiety and pain authors and gurus. This book, though written sixty years ago or better, just tells it to you plain and offers practical suggestions and methods to rid yourself of the whole lot of the mess. Some day, when the MindBody Hall of Fame is established, Low will be the first inductee of the modern era. Read this book and you will see the in it Weekes, Sarno, Hayes and Tolle and the entire slew of pain authors.

Another great source right here is to read carefully Hillbilly's "cure". It is an epic on conquering fear of fear and of taking responsibility for life and to make changes you have to make. I think it won a Nobel Prize for accuracy.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  06:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Back2-It, for the reminder about Hillbilly's "cure".
For anyone else looking for it, I believe Back2-It meant Hillbilly's post (in the Success Stories forum section):

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8511

RSR
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  09:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not sure which email this is but it was the one he gave me personally. I suspect the only reason he answered me was bc Im a physican and he wants to keep us treating the whole TMS thing. It was a very short response. It would be good to hear what your therapist has to say on Friday.
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  09:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys this seems ridiculous but 4 months of chronic Tms groin pain has vanished only to be replaced with Tms pain I got over long ago in my ribs!

Both sides of them and sometimes one.

I guess iam just scared of this new symptom because I haven't felt it in years!

I can say after 4 months I am 100 percent free of the Tms groin issue. It's been now three days at this capacity.

When I healed originally the pain never went to a completely different place, it was always regional.

My healing I know is going forward but would like to hear from others because this type is new to me.

Thank you again for all your responses, especially with the anxiety.

Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  09:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont worry Ice, its just a shift because the psychological need is still there. I was hoping that your relief was going to be long lasting, but to be totally honest I was somewhat skeptical that this would happen because I tend to see that the person's psychological need can rarely be irradicated by a couple days of work. This may sound crazy, but thank God that your body didnt stop trying to communicate to you. I have noticed that the ones that try to shut their body up tend to eventually get diagnosed with more serious disorders. I really would suggest you take a look at those keys I wrote and try to incorporate them into your life along with the therapy you are currently in. I would have never gotten better had I not done it that way (whats on my keys, I didnt go to therapy except meet with Arlene a couple of times which did not really contribute to my healing in any significant way). Please let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by - Ace1 on 07/22/2013 09:51:38
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  10:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace,

Thanks again. It seems my pain shifted along with reading that Steveos pain shifted in that chapter of his book.

I am very happy with my progress but still understand I am under a lot of stress currently.

As for the serious disorders I could see how this comes into play.

Therapy for me was needed just based off what sarno told me on my first visit. I don't put the cure in my therapist only the insight in which she gives me that I already know but need to hear it from an outsider .

I could see how some people go to a therapist for their cures. I place the faith in myself.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  11:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Ice keep up the good work and I think you are definitely on the right track in believing in yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  11:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

Guys this seems ridiculous but 4 months of chronic Tms groin pain has vanished only to be replaced with Tms pain I got over long ago in my ribs!

Both sides of them and sometimes one.

I guess iam just scared of this new symptom because I haven't felt it in years!

I can say after 4 months I am 100 percent free of the Tms groin issue. It's been now three days at this capacity.

When I healed originally the pain never went to a completely different place, it was always regional.

My healing I know is going forward but would like to hear from others because this type is new to me.

Thank you again for all your responses, especially with the anxiety.

Ice, it is no pleasure read, but I think Low's book can answer a lot of questions and finally break the habits of defeating words and thoughts that bring you back to another symptom. Or if you read it once, read it again and you will find wisdom on every page. TMS is an anxiety problem with a different name. (Also with the great contribution of explaining why most back pain is related to emotions).

Here is a quick look into Low's ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdSCvJwOzU

Your rib pain is distressing but not dangerous. Keep that in mind and leave the worry of it behind. If it were dangerous you would have long ago left this rock.

Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  14:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can't say I did not expect this.

When my Tms groin pains were really bad I was looking up old posts of mine back when I had the chest/rib stuff. Just to prove that I got past.

I forgot my past Tms journey so well that I needed reassurance it was still plausible.

It seems its to good to be true but I know I got past it and forgot it very easily once it left.

I know this to will pass but its just surreal that I am indeed a tms personality type even given the clear cut indicators how my pains changed places completely within one night!

I rattled something in my head for the best but its just tedious.

[/quote]

Ice, it is no pleasure read, but I think Low's book can answer a lot of questions and finally break the habits of defeating words and thoughts that bring you back to another symptom. Or if you read it once, read it again and you will find wisdom on every page. TMS is an anxiety problem with a different name. (Also with the great contribution of explaining why most back pain is related to emotions).

Here is a quick look into Low's ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdSCvJwOzU

Your rib pain is distressing but not dangerous. Keep that in mind and leave the worry of it behind. If it were dangerous you would have long ago left this rock.

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000