TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Chest and Left arm Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdiddy

46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  15:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey all...I have been dealing with a right shoulder injury and chronic pain for about a year now, and with your help have seen some improvement in it. Doctors told me it was a small rotator cuff tear so i have just let it rest and focused on TMS therapy. its been getting very slowly better.

However, I have had a recent onset of left chest and arm pain. I know that most people say that the TMS likes to try and move around the body, but it not like it has moved because the right shoulder still hurts but in addition I now have left arm soreness, shooting pains, and startling sharp "twinge" type of pains in the left chest. BTW it should be noted this isnt the first time I have had these and even went as far last year to check it out and the doctor said they dont see anything indicating a heart issue.

I should mention a heart attack is probably my biggest fear in life. I have had slightly high cholesterol for a few years, even though I am generally very healthy in diet and regular exercise, I think its just genetic...my family history is all vegetarians and I am the first meat eater (no red meat), so my body seems very sensitive to meat. So I am wondering if I am manifesting this pain because of my fear of cholesterol, heart attacks, and other stuff.

I should add that generally the pain is before I eat a meal, during, or after, or during restful times like watching tv or laying in bed. It doesnt hurt more with exercise or anything like that. Its more of a VERY random shooting pain.

Also my wife and I are trying to get pregnant for the first time and I feel overwhelmed and scared by it.

Just wondering if any of you have had similar chest and arm pains?

Edited by - sdiddy on 07/08/2013 15:28:33

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  21:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdiddy

So I am wondering if I am manifesting this pain because of my fear of cholesterol, heart attacks, and other stuff.

I had the exact symptoms that you're having. and I was a smoker, eat lots of meat, rarely exercise, very high cholesterol...
It was just fear that keep alive a tms symptoms that were started by chronic worrying.

Have yourself check out by a doc to make sure your heart is fine then just quit worry and quit your fear and you will be fine.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

sdiddy

46 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  22:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So are you fine now?

quote:
Originally posted by balto

quote:

So I am wondering if I am manifesting this pain because of my fear of cholesterol, heart attacks, and other stuff.

I had the exact symptoms that you're having. and I was a smoker, eat lots of meat, rarely exercise, very high cholesterol...
It was just fear that keep alive a tms symptoms that were started by chronic worrying.

Have yourself check out by a doc to make sure your heart is fine then just quit worry and quit your fear and you will be fine.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.

Go to Top of Page

Aussie

Australia
87 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  03:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fear of heart attack and acute focus on the heart is a very common yet severe anxiety symptom. Before my back started hurting I went through a period where I had constant focus on my heart and experienced many symptoms. They included stabbing chest pain, palpitations, shortness of breath and an ache over the heart. On the most severe occasions I was almost convinced I was on the verge of a heart attack and had to hospitalise myself one night as I had a total panic meltdown over it.

I was only 28 at the time and was fit and healthy. I paid the big bucks and had every test under the sun done to convince me my heart was fine. Of course it was. Anxiety is horrible and now that I have calmed my system down I never think about my heart or heart attack and have no symptoms at all. The role of the anxiety is to keep you focused on irrelevant things such as non-existent medical conditions.
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  13:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been there myself...

It is a pretty common thing, especially for people in their late twenties and thirties. Why? I think it has something to do with the forms of pressure you are typically under at that age. In my case I also related to my mother who had a collapsed heart valve not long before.

Knowing a bit or two about triggerpoints (muscle knots), I can tell you those symptoms are common patterns often originating from tp's in the scalenes muscles (neck). I don't recommend it, but if you learn more about these tp's you can even recreate the symptoms you describe by pushing with your finger on exactly the right spot in your scalenes muscle. My symptoms only went away by treating the whole shabam as TMS. Every time you have these symptoms, comfort yourself by knowing it is nothing serious. If you have doubts, just visit the doctor for a check up and leave it at that.

good luck to you
Go to Top of Page

sdiddy

46 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  17:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally hear what you guys are saying but still having a hard time. I think the fact that my cholesterol has been a little high (around 220) for the past few years, has made me paranoid, thinking that plaque is building up in my arteries or something. I am terrified of it. It doesnt help that I am a smaller than average man with very skinny arms, legs, and smaller organs, veins, etc. The doctor says its not that bad because my good cholesterol is very high also, which puts my ratio at around 2.9% and I believe that is below average. But still....I cant feeling scared of a heart attack.

I just wish I knew for 100% sure that my arteries were fine and I am healthy and fine. I run on the treadmill everyday (only 1-2 miles), I play basketball without any issues, and eat healthy, but I am just so aware of my mortality and fearful of death. I always assume and plan for worst case scenarios, and that can be hard on anyone. Like when I am driving, I am the epitome of a defensive driver, always on the lookout (and even expecting) a car accident. I cant help it. I want to protect myself always so I can always take care of my wife. Its in my nature to always be there for her, but that can be SO hard on me.

The other thing is, the pain sort of feels like nerve pain more than anything, and it tends to always move around. like aussie said, sometimes its throbbing, sometimes shooting, sometimes a shocking flare pain, and sometimes like now, a burning flaring sensation that originates about 2 inches above the nipple (deep inside), and sort of goes down the left arm. It also hurts right now when I breathe out. But thats not always the case, sometimes its totally different.

Because of my high cholesterol, I freak out when i eat something bad, like a slice of pizza, red meat, etc. Late night tacos with friends whatever...these things dont happen often but sometimes I allow a splurge. But then after I feel awful and I get symptoms. I just dont know...is it possible something is wrong with me and eating unhealthy foods causes pain? Or is it psychological? I wish I knew for sure I was OK. I cant live like this always in fear. Thanks all.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  18:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I just wish I knew for 100% sure ...."

This is the wish of all tms'ers, and yet think about it. Very few things in life are 100 percent sure, our own mortality being a notable exception.

You want a guarantee essentially, that nothing bad can ever befall you. You see it's not just the heart worry. Because if by some miracle you were granted that 100 percent exemption from heart disease...something granted to no man or woman, you'd soon find something else to worry about.

TMS for many of us is essentially OCD, which is sometimes known as the doubters disease. You've been assured of this and that, and yet you still doubt. You crave certainty, but there is none. Death Comes for the Archbishop (willa cather novel), and he comes for me, and he comes for you.

so the question becomes, what are you going to do with the time granted to you on this earth? Live in fear? Or embrace uncertainty bravely, understanding that there are no such things as safe havens.

You can choose to live in fear, or you can choose to live bravely. We all have that choice, and in my opinion that's what this forum boiled down to its essence, is all about.

Lest you think I lecture, I understand and deeply empathize with everything you wrote. But we have choices. I chose to stop worrying to the very extent possible. You can do the same.

Edited by - art on 07/09/2013 18:29:16
Go to Top of Page

sdiddy

46 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  21:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really well said art. I appreciate your perspective and will give it a shot. But i ask, is there any reason for me to do more tests? Is there even any non invasive tests that can test for plaque?? Thank you
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  06:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really well said art. I appreciate your perspective and will give it a shot. But i ask, is there any reason for me to do more tests? Is there even any non invasive tests that can test for plaque?? Thank you

I don't think so sdiddy, you'd have to ask a cardiologist. Always look at the evidence as objectively as you can. The answer to your question about whether you're suffering these symptoms which mimic heart disease, because you fear it so much, is yes.

Again, be objective, be logical. The symptoms are either caused by physical problems, which presumably competent doctor has told you don't have. MOst people would accept that. The very fact that you are not accepting it, argues TMS. Bear in mind, that you've had these symptoms a long time now. If it were your heart, you'd almost certainly have had some sort of cardiac event by now....

I see this over and over. TMS is the true "doubters disease." Look at the evidence as above. Always draw connections to what's going on in your life. Be aware of the ebb and flow of symptoms. When are they better? When are they worse?

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  14:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I just wish I knew for 100% sure that my arteries were fine...

Nothing is really 100% guaranteed in life except death.

I suggest you have a complete workup by a cardiologist including a stress test and echo-cardiogram. If you pass the stress test it is highly unlikely you have clogged arteries. If there is any problem with your heart it will be seen on an echo. I am sure that you can find a cardiologist to perform the above tests if you complain of chest and left arm pain.

When you get a clean bill of health, perhaps you will be able to successfully treat this pain as TMS. Until then, I'm afraid it is serving its exact purpose, and as long as it does that, it will continue.
Go to Top of Page

gailnyc

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  20:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art

"I just wish I knew for 100% sure ...."

This is the wish of all tms'ers, and yet think about it. Very few things in life are 100 percent sure, our own mortality being a notable exception.

You want a guarantee essentially, that nothing bad can ever befall you. You see it's not just the heart worry. Because if by some miracle you were granted that 100 percent exemption from heart disease...something granted to no man or woman, you'd soon find something else to worry about.

TMS for many of us is essentially OCD, which is sometimes known as the doubters disease. You've been assured of this and that, and yet you still doubt. You crave certainty, but there is none. Death Comes for the Archbishop (willa cather novel), and he comes for me, and he comes for you.

so the question becomes, what are you going to do with the time granted to you on this earth? Live in fear? Or embrace uncertainty bravely, understanding that there are no such things as safe havens.

You can choose to live in fear, or you can choose to live bravely. We all have that choice, and in my opinion that's what this forum boiled down to its essence, is all about.

Lest you think I lecture, I understand and deeply empathize with everything you wrote. But we have choices. I chose to stop worrying to the very extent possible. You can do the same.

Great post, art.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000