TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Yoga and TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kstarnes

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  12:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been learning about TMS for about a year and a half and have come a long way. I still have some fears of injury or spasm in my back, but they are far less than I did when I began dealing with the real cause of my tightness and pain. I recently began doing yoga at a local center and have been pushing my body further and further each time. My concern/question is: have others out there (who have begun some sort of physical activity that they could not do before) started to believe that the activity is making their back, neck, etc., better and forgetting that the real cause is an emotional one? I just do not want to fall back into the trap I used to live in for over 35 years. I want to keep thinking psychological but it is so easy to attribute my latest gains to physically pushing myself. How have you dealt with this?

kevin starnes

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  14:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin:
For about seven years I suffered from chronic back pain and during that time I undertook an exercise regime that eventually had me exercising rigorously (bicycling) for an hour a day. Unfortunately, the exercise didn’t help my pain despite the fact that it showed there was nothing wrong with my back. Even though the chronic pain has abated, I still get twinges as I get on or off my bike. I realized that my rational consciousness and my unconscious self are two different things.
I encourage you to exercise since it is good for you and provides “proof” that there is nothing wrong with your body. However, don’t give up on “thinking psychologically”. Use affirmations before and after you exercise and anytime you feel the pain coming on.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  08:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

In addition to the wise advice of Peregrinus, remember that yoga is different to much exercise in that it essentially embodies the spirit and mind. Of course Western yoga tends towards the physical but through choosing a teacher with a deeper focus and/or nurturing a personal discipline, it can take you far. Especially into your emotional self and the root cause of your tms. Some teachers will work with you on this more emotional level and it is worth seeking them out and spending time in their classes/workshops assessing whether they can help you and if you can trust them. As with all things, be mindful and aware, yet open to the possibilities beyond returning to exercise.
Go to Top of Page

GTfan

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  07:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plum

Kevin,

In addition to the wise advice of Peregrinus, remember that yoga is different to much exercise in that it essentially embodies the spirit and mind. Of course Western yoga tends towards the physical but through choosing a teacher with a deeper focus and/or nurturing a personal discipline, it can take you far. Especially into your emotional self and the root cause of your tms. Some teachers will work with you on this more emotional level and it is worth seeking them out and spending time in their classes/workshops assessing whether they can help you and if you can trust them. As with all things, be mindful and aware, yet open to the possibilities beyond returning to exercise.

Plum hit the nail on the head here. I have done a litle yoga, but I emphasised on the Western side of it, because it was entirely physical and I tried to push and stretch harder each time I did it.

After reading and talking with people I know, I found that yoga is just as much of a spritual practice as physical. Instead of "pushing" your body into a stretch, you are meant to "relax" your body into a stretch in a comfortable position. I haven't done yoga in awhile, but a friend has claimed to me that almost everyone is capable of stretching their bodies in a full range of motion (like doing complete splits). Your mind and focus is just as important as your physical shape.

You’ll fall down, you stumble, you land square on your face. And every time that happens, you get back on your feet. You get up just as fast as you can, no matter how many times you need to do it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000