TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Is Chiropractic Bunk?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lithia

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  13:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After devouring Healing Back Pain, this reader took away that much about chiropractic is placebo. I've been adjusted a couple of times and just walked away being a bit sore but no long term relief. What are your thoughts chiropractic? Is this a billion dollar hoax or a valuable service? Find it interesting that most chiropractors are particularly positive (oh yeah, we can fix this, even though conventional medicine didn't), fueling the placebo effect. I doubt my DC has heard of TMS but will mention it to him the next time I see him! Thanks for your reply.

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  13:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experiences have not been favourable but I do know plenty of people who swear by them. I think that they probably have a valid role to play after injury whilst pain is acute but their involvement and theories in chronic pain management does seem to debatable for many reasons.

Wake me up with your amphetamine blast
Take me by the collar and throw me out into the world
Rock me gently & send me dreaming of something tender
I was brought here to pay homage to the beat surrender

Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also believe they are good for short term relief.

When I was 16 I did pro wrestling (the stuff you see on tv)

I always had this mid back pain and there was always this huge knot probably next to T-6 on the left side. Anyway my chiro would always message and adjust it. I would feel great for the rest of the day then slowly the tension would come back.

When I got my first real dose of tms, the knot was huge and my girlfriend at the time always messaged it. Felt much better but didnt help the widespread pain.

When I finally got rid of the tms back and chest pains the knot was nowhere to be found. To this day I sometimes ask my mom or somebody to look for it as a sign of proof that my mind made it go away and not massage.

My first chiro retired, I really liked him. He was no bs and never pressured anybody. My second chiro wanted me to do some 14 week plan for him and said my pains were coming from my neck etc. Never did the 14 week plan.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  14:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As with all things, it depends on the chiropractor.
Not all tms practitioners are created equally either.
Go to Top of Page

Lithia

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  14:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ninja, think you're right on with "short term relief" even if a goodly percentage the relief is actually placebo. If you think it helps, it probably does. My wife gets a massage and chiropractic adjustment monthly and swears it helps her, but it's only for a short time for her annoying shoulder aches/pains. I saw a DC many times for my TMS (before TMS dx) foot issues (adjustment, cold laser, ultrasound, etc.) with short term relief (the pain returned before I pulled my car into the driveway.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  14:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that they practice a medicine based on a false science. Your spine does not fall out of alignment unless you are involved in a traumatic incident; then you want a surgeon putting you back together, not somebody snapping the CO2 out of your joints and making a nice popping sound.

Some know some things about muscles, but they always tie it back to the spine being out of alignment and curable with an "adjustment", usually a long series of adjustments.

There is a chiro on every corner in the US, just showing how easy it is to get a "doctorate" in bunk.

Hoodoo is better medicine.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  14:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting story:

I wanted to be a therapist or chiro but know way to much TMS stuff to look someone in the eye and do it.

In 2009 I was a personal trainer at a gym. I was actually the best one there (perfectionist). Did odd hours/holidays you name it.

A guy came into the gym and said he needed rehab therapy. I had my certs in corrective/rehab stuff so I asked him the questions about his doctor rx him rehab. As a personal trainer I can't do rehab but I can work with the docs to strengthen muscle but not manipulate etc.

He was telling me how his hip and knee pain came out of no where and that he wanted to make them stronger. I saw something else was bothering him and I bluntly asked how his life at home was. He had no problem talking to me about it at all! Infact he spoke a whole lot.

I told him his doctors were stumped at his pains and I said maybe personal training is not what you need and I told him my story.

He was ready to buy sessions with me but I told him to buy Healing Back Pain and if he wanted we can schedule a free intro session to see what hes looking to accomplish.

Literally two days before our PT session he called me and said " I thought alot about what you said and I do not think pt is for me, I am reading the book and it is making sense. Thank you maybe when I need to get in shape I will call you etc".

I felt angry because I lost a potential client but happy because I might have spared someone what we went through.

Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  16:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I think it's a bs placebo.
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  18:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think they are quacks. Definitely placebo effects for some people.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  18:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The correct spelling is chiro-quack-ter.
Go to Top of Page

tmsjptc

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  17:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw about 5 or 6 chiropractors over a 13 year period and it never helped other than some temporary placebo effect. I look back now and wonder why I kept going. Guess I'm a slow learner with an ego that didn't want to let me see the truth.
Go to Top of Page

gailnyc

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  17:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago my elderly cat started tipping when she walked--I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with arthritis in her hips. They prescribed some horrible opioid medication that made her woozy and upset her stomach. I tried two alternative therapies--acupuncture and chiropractic. Chiropractic worked (maybe acupuncture would have, too, but I didn't keep up with it--too expensive). She was able to walk normally, and her pooping and eating also became more regular, so I assumed she was in less pain. Each adjustment lasted about four weeks. I had to drive 45 minutes each way to take her to an animal chiropractor, who you may call a quack if you wish. I only know she seemed more comfortable after her adjustments, and I was glad I did that for her.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  08:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gailnyc, please let us know the contact for this healer. My issue is right hip, I'll go see this pet/chiro myself if he/she can fix it--whatever works.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Gailnyc, please let us know the contact for this healer. My issue is right hip, I'll go see this pet/chiro myself if he/she can fix it--whatever works.

A Chirocat practitioner? Well, why not? There are animal spas.

I tried a line like that once: "Okay, kitty, come in for your next adjustment". Yes, I did get bailed out.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  11:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gail, my friend's wife is an equine chiropractor and the animals do heal in her tender hands. Perhaps the beasts are free from tms, and therefore the concerns we think about too much. Maybe chiropratic is good for structural issues. If tms is your woe, then how can it heal?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000