TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Repression vs. Supression !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  11:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, yes you might be right and I am still working with the Keys. I guess I am just so tired of working on this for so long. I am tired out from lack of sleep. Maybe I just need to rest awhile, slow down, get my sleep back (although it is better than it was), and then resume working on my recovery. I am not going to make any hasty decisions. Maybe I have made my recovery a mental strain and am lacking patience with myself. This concept has been suggested before.
Go to Top of Page

Dr James Alexander

Australia
127 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  14:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chickenbone- your description of the depth of these feelings, and the role of the limbic system etc, is excellent. And your experience of having to contain that remaining 10% pretty well says it all. Yes, counteractive approaches do help to a certain extent- but the problems remain issues which people have to continually be working against. And you are absolutely right that the limbic system etc sees it all as a matter of survival- thats why it doesnt let go of the remaining 10% as a result of conscious effort and thought. It has learnt the survival lessons very well (an emotional learning) and it will stick with it for a whole life time if need be, even if this learning causes ongoing emotional pain- unless a reconsolidation experience occurs to teach it something new and different.

There are a range of transformative approaches which can assist with this, including EMDR, Coherence Therapy, Hakomi, Gestalt, NLP and others. And it is also possible for this transformative reconsolidation to occur spontaneously via certain expereinces in life (I have had one or 2 of these experiences, whereby the problem just fell away in a moment to such an extent that i didnt need to battle it anymore, eg. depression- but it required a certain experience, which i can now see triggered reconsolidation). And TT also states that he is able to undertake this kind of procedure himself with his own version of 'inner child work'.

So, EDMR is the transformative approach that i am most familiar with, and it appears to create the reconsolidation experiences as a matter of course (and naturally, there are differences in quality between practitioners- i advocated a friend get it in a different part of Oz to where i live, and he got a dud!). The other thing to be aware of though is that syndromes which we carry are rarely resulting from one experience- its usually the result of a range of distressing events (often following a common theme)- this means that one session may resolve an element of the overall syndrome, but you will need more than one session to get the overall resolution that you are seeking. Good luck with it.

James
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  00:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr.Alexander, I listened to the Bruce Ecker's podcasts and read the case studies on his website.
His work is truly TMS compatible at every level, and yet based on everything I read or heard, there is not a word on chronic pain. He seems like a very down to earth and approachable person. I am wondering if you have contacted or plan to contact him. It would be wonderful to direct his attention to the area of TMS and hopefully get his thoughts on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

Dr James Alexander

Australia
127 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  03:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alix- yes, as i have stated on several occasions, Coherence Therapy is indeed totally compatible with TMS. In his books Depth Oriented Brief Therapy, and Unlocking the Emotional Brain, Ecker does in fact mention chronic pain as one of the conditions successfully treated with this approach. I have recently joined a Coherence Therapy email forum (run by Robin Ticic, one of his co-authors) and am asking questions about people's experience in using it with chronic pain. I have introduced Robin and the group to TMS via my recent interview on Shrink Rap Radio. I will also be doing some training with her in April and will ensure that she becomes familiar with the TMS approach- it would be mutually beneficial as we are all on about the same thing. I think Coherence Therapy is relatively new and on the rise- there may not be all that many practitioners around? They dont yet have their practitioner contact list up on their website yet, but once they have, i will let this forum know of it as i am certain that sufferers of TMS would benefit from this approach.

James
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  08:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you, Dr. Alexander for all your terrific information and resources. Thanks to you and others on this forum, I have a lot more hope now. I will read more about Coherence Therapy and EMDR. I am also thinking about possibly traveling for some therapy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000