TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Educating Dr. Z.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smth416

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  20:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I visited my primary care physisian(an appointment made a month ago when I was in agony) mainly to show him the vast improvment I had made and tell him about my TMS self-dignosis.
As soon as I saw him the first thing he noticed was the fifteen pounds I lost and the fact that my acne (which was unmistakably red a month ago) had virtually disappeared. He asked me how I was feeling and was shocked when I told him "very well" for the first time ever.
I began by aking him if he had heard of Dr. Sarno and not surprisingly he said he had. When I asked him if had read about or even prescribed to Mindbody medicine and he politely told me he did not.
Dr. Z is a young, open minded and well meaning Physician. I could, however see the skeptiscm on his face even before I went into details. That look changed to amazement when I told him my neck pain had decreased 60-75% since we last spoke. Last time I saw him I slugged into the office like the walking dead, told him my sob story, picked up my scrip for 120 Percoset and walked out. The fact
that I was now exercising 20 minutes a day was jaw-dropping to him considering he had reccomended disability a month ago. Apparenly convinced that an incredible turnaround had occured,he began to ask me details about TMS and agreed that everything I said made sense even with all the medical training. He also said Fibromyalgia had crossed his mind as a diagnosis for me. When I told him that Fibro was an extremely common TMS disorder he agreed that this diagnosis was often a "last resort" diagnosis for him for patients who had various muscle pain that could not be attributed to a structural problem.
Dr. Z then asked me for the names of Sarno's books and where he could get them. He said he had had unexplained lower back pain for years, and would be interested in learning about TMS for himself.
Maybe there is hope for the medical community afterall! I plan to check in with him in a few weeks and will be curious to see if he follows through.-Al

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  09:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a freaking GREAT story...

I only hope the ingrained bias of his medical training hasn't blocked the sunlight of the spirit of truth from the poor guy.

I had a similar experience riding my mountain bike 5 miles(10 mile round trip) to the chronic pain center ,of which I had been a minion.I saw my old therapist (who I liked) and did a donkey kick off of a parking block right in front of him in the parking lot.

He was a bit aghast...3 weeks previous I had been a limping cripple,warned to never even run lest I paralyze myself...here I was getting airborne on a bike.

I explained what had happened to me and he just sort of hung his jaw.

I told him all about Sarno and he sort of incredulously nodded,but remained skeptical.

I had similar experiences with the people at work,my family,and fellow sufferers(remember your 'pain buddies'??)

They all saw me go from predator to prey,to predator again,but all denied my explanantion,in spite of the evidence right in front of them.

Most people need or want their pain....that's all I can figure.Sarno is only for the most desperate,like he says in the book.

Please follow up on this story...I know from time to time that there are Drs. who have seen the light,but they are few and far between.

-out

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  13:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope to enlighten an orthopaedic doctor in early April.

Last July I saw an orthopaedic doc because I was in so much pain in my left hip. For years, I had RIGHT hip pain. The only diagnosis I ever received was arthritis. The only reason I saw the guy was because if it was arthritis, then why didn't my right hip hurt anymore? To make a long story short, he told me that I was old (I'm 46), no longer an athlete, my pain would only get worse, and the quicker I accepted it, the better. He wanted to know when I was ready for my hip replacement.

If I had had my pants on, I would have jumped off the table and strangled him! Instead, I told him no thanks, hobbled to my car and cried my eyes out. A month later, I found the Sarno book.

It has been slow going for me, but my pain has diminished about 75-80%. I am running again (I've run 8 marathons), and doing all sorts of things I couldn't do a year ago.

This appointment in April is simply to get a second opinion. Because Doc #1 was such an arsehole, there was no use asking him any questions. If Doc #2 tell me that I have arthritis, and nothing else is going on, then fine, I can deal with that. I've done my homework though, and went to a free presentation that Doc #2 was giving a couple weeks ago. I figured if he was a jerk, I'd cancel my appt. He was OK.

I do believe that arthritis may be slightly different in that it is a joint inflammation. But I don't agree that it gets worse. If that's the case, I should be in a wheelchair by now. Besides reading Sarno, I've been reading about curing arthritis, and yes, I do believe there is a cure. I bought a juicer, and juice veggies for breakfast. I have gone vegetarian as much as possible. No more preservatives for me, only God-made foods. Is it a placebo? I don't know about that. Doc #2 in his presentation mentioned how his clientele is getting younger and younger. The food in this country has simply been getting crappier, more preservatives and hormones are used, and people are not eating healthy foods. Some kids never eat fruits and vegetables!! At least for me, it is working.

Thanks for the great story about Dr. Z!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000