TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A Paradigm Shift, Finally?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  09:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I first got on here in 2009. At the time the consensus on the web and with doctors that, at best, emotions could be contributing to pain.

Looking back over some of the early sites I looked on for help, it was mostly that opinion.

Here is one small example of a practitioner evolving. I have seen others make similar shifts in thought. Hello, Dr. Low.

http://treatyourtriggers.com/Mind-Body.html?inf_contact_key=b11092cee1b4e748e2df13881fc85d4f6cfcf8094cc58fdb4fc4a2e5e0798a45

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"

Edited by - Back2-It on 02/19/2013 10:01:00

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  10:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Jonathan Kutner I know from his trigger point courses. In that he claims to having been cured by treating his trigger points. Now he is claiming it was the mind-body connection. I am still getting emails in which he is promoting his trigger point courses... I appreciate the evolution, but it's giving me mixed feelings... maybe I am just too focussed on that treating trigger points is not the tms way while he has a slightly different approach inwhich tp-treatment (which are now called 'stress relief techniques?' has its purpose.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  11:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are referring to the late Abraham Low, MD as your Dr. Low, I am 100% certain if Ace were to read his "Mental Health Through Will Training" he would include it on his reading list. This book, which I read 5 times, did more for me than any other book I have ever read.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  13:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok give me the free pdf link if you can find it (no strain in trying to find this though please), and when Im done reading the stuff on my queue, Ill read it.
Go to Top of Page

Goodney

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  14:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just yesterday finished "Mental Health Through Will Training" and although the language is a little dated, it was one of the best books I've ever read about the power of human beings to overcome even the most frightening and debilitating symptoms. It should be a must read TMS book.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  14:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abraham Low was a no nonsense doctor who demanded 100% obedience from his patients and if they resisted him he essentially told them to STFU. The thing is, he was right every time regarding what his patients needed and could see through them when they tried to BS him.

You can't hide your lyin' eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes

No doctor would get off with that today, but he helped many many people. He was totally anti Freudian, BTW. I consider him a saint.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/19/2013 14:50:21
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  14:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
link to pdf file of the book is below.

http://www.bahaistudies.net/neurelitism/library/mentalhealththroughwilltraining.pdf

The Words & wisdom of Abraham Low:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdSCvJwOzU

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  14:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! this is the first time you failed to find something on the web Shawn.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  14:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how it got on the Bahai studies website?
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  14:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the site's owner probably think pretty highly of Dr. Low.

According to wiki's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Low doctor Low died at the young age of 63. I wonder what he died from? The article didn't say.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  15:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a biography of Abraham Low, MD, by Neil & Margaret Rau entitled "My Dear Ones." I always meant to purchase it.

I attended recovery meetings for 6 months and they changed my life. Ace, pay close attention to his ideas on "Spotting."

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/19/2013 15:05:15
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  16:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is the same Abraham Low MD. I found his "Mental Health Through Will Training" really helpful. Also, he started "Recovery International" in the 1950's, based, I think, on AA, where, people with "nervous" illnesses met, with a medical practitioner present, and discussed psychogenic illnesses and lent mutual encouragement.

The book was written in the 1930's or 1940's and Low mentioned even then that probably 40 to 60 percent of hospital beds were taken up with people who had "nervous" illnesses.

Recovery International still exists, and I believe you can buy Low's books through the web site, and there are branches in some cites, but I am not sure if they have stayed on their original mission. ( I see reading SS above that maybe it still has its original mission).

I got my copy out of a library.

Maybe the same idea could done through Meetup.com, even if no medical practitioner were around. In Chicago, Dr. Stracks has "booster" sessions at Northwestern Memorial Hospital from time to time. Maybe he can "Skype" you in, though that has not been done.

As far as Kutner, I am sure I read his stuff and others early on, and they paid scant attention to emotions as a key factor in it all. I had a chance to go back and read some others where I went looking for reasons and explanations, and there seems to be more of a shift to the idea that no matter how many times you smash out a trigger point (if their is such a thing) that without the mental release, it will just pop back.

With the Affordable Health Care Act coming on strong, one of the unintended good consequences of it might be that more attention might have to be paid to mental work, because imaging and other treatments will not be in the budget, especially if you are over the age of 45, which is when many are struck down by the human condition catching up with them.

It may be back to the future. Nothing is new, just forgotten.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"

Edited by - Back2-It on 02/19/2013 16:44:22
Go to Top of Page

gigalos

Netherlands
310 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  16:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"As far as Kutner, I am sure I read his stuff and others early on, and they paid scant attention to emotions as a key factor in it all. I had a chance to go back and read some others where I went looking for reasons and explanations, and there seems to be more of a shift to the idea that no matter how many times you smash out a trigger point (if their is such a thing) that without the mental release, it will just pop back."

They exist and yes, they pop back..
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  13:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it were in my capacity to do so, I would require every single human being on the planet, regardless of their health condition, to read Abraham Low's "Mental Health Trough Will Training" at least 3 times.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000