TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Affirmations -- by John Kehoe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  12:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note: Ace1 bases his keys to healing on this book.

From chapter 5: Mind Power in the 21st century by John Kehoe

Affirmations are probably the easiest and simplest technique I know of to influence and affect the conscious mind. They have been used for centuries throughout the world in such spiritual and magical practices as prayers and mantras. Now they are being used by people from all walks of life to close business deals, heal ailments, meet people, win tournaments, and in countless other applications.Affirmations are simple statements repeated to yourself silently or aloud, whatever feels most comfortable and practical to you at the time. You can do them anywhere—in your car while you're driving, sitting in a doctor's office waiting for an appointment, lying in bed before you go to sleep. You decide upon a statement that represents what you want to have happen to you, and you repeat it to yourself over and over again.For example, let's say you're in a situation that usually up-sets you and makes you tense when you'd prefer to be relaxed and calm. This is the perfect time to use an affirmation.Quietly repeat to yourself, "I feel calm and relaxed. I feel calm and relaxed. I feel calm and relaxed."

Don't try forcing yourself to
feel calm and relaxed, just keep repeating the statement to yourself for a couple of minutes. Likewise, if you have a big meeting coming up and you want it to go well, begin affirming to yourself beforehand, "It's going to be a great meeting. It's going to be a great meeting. It's going to be a great meeting."

WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHEN YOU DO AFFIRMATIONS?

When you are doing affirmations you are influencing the thoughts that occur in your mind. Your mind can hold only one thought at a time, so an affirmation works by "filling''your mind with thoughts that support your goal. The words suggest to the mind what it should be thinking. If you'reaffirming to yourself, "It's going to be a great meeting," your mind will quite naturally begin thinking related thoughts about it being a great meeting. Your mind effortlessly picks up the implications and message of your affirmation. It sounds very simple, but this technique can be remarkably effective in helping you gain the results you want.Make whatever you want to see happen into an appropriate affirmation and use it regularly. One successful salesman I know begins each day with the affirmation, "Lots of sales, lots of smiles," and he repeats this to himself for several minutes in the morning and several times throughout the day.

THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN YOU ARE DOING AFFIRMATIONS

1. You don't necessarily have to believe them! In fact,anyone who's ever been unsuccessful in using affirmations has probably been trying to force them-selves to do just that. This mistake can actually nullify the effects of the affirmation. Don't worry about believing, just keep repeating. If you do believe what you are affirming, great! If you don't believe it, that's fine too. It doesn't matter. The conscious mind will quite naturally pick up the content of whatever you are affirming, and the correct thoughts will seep into your consciousness. You don't have to force anything.

2. Always affirm in the positive. Make a positive statement, not a negative one. For example, if you want to see a meeting go well, you wouldn't say,"I'm not going to blow this meeting." If you want to be calm and relaxed you wouldn't affirm, "I'm not going to be uptight." For some reason the mind doesn't pick up the "not" and you find yourself programming "blow the meeting" or "uptight." The mind will focus on these self-destructive images and not on what you want.

3. Keep your affirmation short. An affirmation should be like a mantra: short and simple, easy to say, and easy to repeat. I like to keep my affirmations to ten words or less. Sometimes even two words can be very effective: "tremendous success" or "record sales."

I have had people show me affirmations that were half a page long. There's no way you can say an affirmation that long repeatedly. Even two sentences is too long. Repetition is what will imprint your affirmation into your consciousness,so the shorter the better. I repeat: make it short, make it rhythmic, make it easy to say.Be careful that you don't use affirmations against yourself without realizing it."I'll never get it done,""I'll never do it,""It's impossible,""I'm blowing it,""I'm a disaster at relationships,""I know I'm going to make a mistake,""I'm always losing,"are all affirmations that you can find yourself repeating to yourself without even realizing it. Watch out for them.Let me share with you an experience that happened to me on a recent lecture tour. Halfway through the tour, I looked at my schedule for the following months and couldn't believe my eyes. I was being routed from one city to another with hardly any breaks and was even expected to be in two different cities on the same day! I began thinking that the up-coming month would be an impossible, stress-filled pressure cooker, and that's what I actually started telling myself— "This is going to be a pressure cooker." For two or three days I felt increasingly tense and uptight in anticipation of the dreadful next leg of the tour. I cursed the person who had set this ridiculous schedule for me.Then I caught myself. I had to laugh. Here I was teaching mind power, and I'd unwittingly fallen into a trap of my own making. Nice affirmation, "I'm in a pressure cooker!" So I made myself a new affirmation focusing on just three words:

Organized, Relaxed, and Fun, and I repeated this to myself for several minutes. The next morning I began the day with the same affirmation, and I repeated it whenever I started thinking about my hectic schedule. Within a few days I began thinking that as long as I was organized and relaxed, the marathon pace might be fun. What was I getting all up set about?In the end, those three words made all the difference. My schedule didn't change, but my attitude towards it did. The tour that I had almost made into a pressure cooker for myself turned out to be a breeze. I was organized, relaxed, and had fun rushing about to meet the challenge, once I changed from a negative to a positive affirmation.You too can create affirmations and use them throughout your day to help you accomplish the things you want. They are easy to say and can be done anywhere—in the bank line-up, in the waiting room, or when stuck in traffic. You don't have to believe them. You don't have to do them with the literal belief that you "have it." All you have to do is repeat them! I'd suggest starting first thing in the morning, because that crucial first half-hour sets the tone for the rest of your day. As little as two or three minutes of practice will soon produce a noticeable effect.

"Every day in every way, it's getting better and better."

The name Emile Coue may not be commonly known to-day, but at the turn of the century, this pioneer in affirmation techniques was curing illnesses and teaching his discoveries in clinics all over Europe and North America. He caused quite a sensation in his day and his work is still talked about today, decades after his death. Coue found that his patients recovered much better, and more quickly, if they repeated a simple affirmation every morning upon rising, and every evening before going to sleep. The affirmation he taught them was, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and bet-ter." Two minutes in the morning. Two minutes in the evening. That's all. The effect was so dramatic that he wrote several books on the subject of self-suggestion and taught people around the world the curative properties of the mind when directed towards recovery. Coue's affirmation focused the patient's mind on every day, in every way, getting better and better. Emile Coue is credited with the documented cures of thousands of people.Closer to our own time, singer-songwriter John Lennon will always be remembered for his music, his humanitarian beliefs, and his wonderful openness. Lennon made no secret of his interest in magic and the powers of the mind, and his songs reflect this interest. Listen to his lyrics for the song,"Mind Games":

We're playing our mind games . . .Creating the future, out of the now ...

Lennon knew and used both visualization and affirmations. "My mind is what makes it all happen," he liked to say,and in "Beautiful Boy," which he wrote for his son, Sean, he actually sings, "Before you go to sleep—say this little prayer— Every day in every way, it's getting better and better." He, like Coue and so many other great men and women before him,found his way to this eternal truth.John Lennon's songs beckoned us to believe in ourselves and to believe in our power and our ability. "Who do you think you are?" he sang, "A superstar? Well, right you are!"

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/26/2013 15:08:02

All1Spirit

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  16:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shawn - I have his books on order

"Around and Around the Circle We Go....
The Answer Sits In The Middle and Knows..."
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  16:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is important to read the book initially twice and then carry it around with you and read at least one chapter a day until the message sinks in. Also, have pen on hand for underlining key passages and taking notes. The book is super easy to read and the chapters are short and concise. Reading this book is like shining a flashlight on your soul.
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  17:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a great read and very to the point
everything here works to a t
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  17:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are my three affirmations:

I am healthy and whole in my mind and my body.

I accept my self as I am.

I am a good and loving husband.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  17:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn, I would like you to at least have one which says something about mental relaxation and patience. This is the only kind I did and it worked.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  17:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have two others I use also:

I take the time to forgive and let go easily.

I am calm, relaxed and confident.

Per your suggestion, I didn't have too many and kept them simple.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/14/2013 17:54:28
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  17:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  09:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Positive Affirmations for Well-Being
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXfUoZzCNOw

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/22/2013 16:26:02
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  15:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading this again Shawn, I think I'd like patience to be at least in one of your affirmations.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  15:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my continual affirmations is: "I am cool, calm and collected in the situation I currently find myself in."

"The urge to just be done with what we are doing and to go on to the next task is the number one cause of tms and everything is compounded on top of this. It is so ingrained that most will not see it even when they are told that it is there. It took me a long time to see this and figure this out through deductive reasoning. It also explains why our society has a lot of back pain but it is non-existent in the tribal community." --- Ace
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  16:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it kind of sounds the same, but it really isn't. I still would like you to have that word in something. Just trust me.
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  17:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorites before bed and when I wake up in the morning is:

The Universe knows and loves me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: