TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Reply to honeybear
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maccafan

130 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  13:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi honeybear,

I'm replying to your reply to my post (Very bad teeth pain, panicing) this way to make sure you see my reply. ha ha

It could be that when you heard the news about Newtown your heart probably beat faster from the shock, sadness and rage you felt about this nightmare. And if a little bit of nerve was missed during your root canal this faster heart rate pulsing through the nerve made it act up. But what you said makes perfect sense too.

Also on page 88 of The Mindbody Prescription, Dr. Sarno writes... The fifth cranial nerve (trigeminal) is a pure sensory nerve, bringing sensation to the face and teeth. For years it has been recognized as the source of excruciating facial and dental pain; the condition is called trigeminal neuralgia, or tic douloureux. No one has ever been able to explain it.

I think that TMS type trigeminal neuralgia is playing a big part in my gum and teeth issues. But like Dr. Sarno says I have to get treated "medically" for the infection and do the psychological work too so it won't keep returning.

Thanks for your reply and well wishes.

Maccafan

Edited by - maccafan on 12/17/2012 14:16:08

honeybear

10 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  19:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response...and thanks for the reminder of that page in the book. I went to my copy and noticed that I had bent the corner of this page when I first read this book last Spring.

Mysterious dental pain is not new to me. I can't tell you how many times over the years I have gone to the dentist for this tooth thinking I certainly needed a root canal. They never find anything. The only reason I had a root canal over the summer was because it was recommended to me that I get a crown due to the large filling. The dentist said it was better to just go ahead and do a root canal before doing the crown.

My main TMS issues are chronic headaches, neck pain, and TMJ (which for me includes jaw and mysterious dental pain). I have basically been in chronic pain for almost 19 years. Maybe Trigeminal Neuralgia is the cause of the random tooth pain, or maybe it is the TMJ. Regardless of which it is, Dr. Sarno says they are both TMS equivalents, so I will treat it as such. If the pain gets worse again with this one tooth and continues next time for more than a few days, then I will see my dentist. But because it got better from reading the other night on this forum, I have to believe it is purely TMS.

The other thing I should mention is that I can't really say my facial and dental pain has ever been "excruciating". It varies in its severity, but has never been excruciating.

How is your dental pain? Is it increasing or has it stayed the same? Wish they could have gotten you in today...

Let me know how you are doing.

Go to Top of Page

maccafan

130 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  13:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi honeybear,

My trip to the dentist yesterday turned out like I thought it would. Antibiotic and probable root planning and scalling in the future. But right now I just want to get healed up and get through the holidays.

The dentist said something interesting that you might could use to help you. He explained why the tooth directly above my tooth with the painful gum also hurts like hell. He said the infection and swelling had pushed the molar up just enough to change the bite or touching of the tooth above it and irritated the nerve in it. So if your bite or alignment is off even just a little it can cause a lot of pain. Seems like I've read that it can cause TMJ also. And he said the pain along my jaw line and halfway to my chin is most likely caused by my trying to hold my mouth open enough to keep my teeth from touching and HURTING. He said the muscle became tired and sore was also the reason my ear and head pain.

There are many people who suffer from severe trigeminal neuralgia. They can't even stand a breeze blowing on their face. Now that's excruciating pain. I think many of them could be helped by TMS knowledge.

If you keep on keeping on with your TMS knowledge cure I think your neck, headaches
and TMJ pain will finally be gone with the wind. I figure you've already had these things checked medically and now it's time to do the psychological work.

I'm still so glad that I found Dr. Sarno's book that day in the bookstore. I just hate to think where I would be now without it.

Maccafan

Go to Top of Page

honeybear

10 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  20:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maccafan,

Hope your tooth is feeling better. Mine hasn't bothered me a bit after I started doing the reading here about tooth pain being TMS. I never had any gum pain with it, just a strange pain that really had me tripped up for a couple of days. In fact, I haven't listened yet, but I just saw a link for Dr. Zafirides' podcast relating to increased pain after the shootings in Connecticut. Off to have a listen now...

Edited by - honeybear on 12/27/2012 20:32:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000