TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 emotional freedom technique
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  20:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So looking at the table of contents online of this book that was recommended

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7890

I notice quite a bit of space devoted to EFT (emotional freedom technique). I always assumed that was new agey gimmicky energy medicine placebo junk. Does anyone have experience suggesting it is legitimate?

Edited by - pspa123 on 12/02/2012 20:55:25

Dr James Alexander

Australia
127 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  15:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there pspa123,

i've been wanting to respond to your post for a few weeks now but it has taken time for me to get registered on the forum- anyway, i've got there now. I included information about EFT as i have seen it work well with many of my chronic pain clients- esp when dealing with anxiety, fear, tension, sleep problems- and sometimes even pain. There are rational ways of making sense of EFT in terms of both psychological theories (reciprocal inhibition, exposure therapy) as well as neurological understandings. I dont make sense of it in terms of 'energy' or meridians (not saying these are wrong- it just aint the way i make sense of EFT). As stated, there are other excellent ways of understanding why EFT would work on a range of issues- see an article on the net titled 'Wolpe, not woo-woo'. Also, if you are interested in looking further into it, have a look at my website (www.drjamesalexander-psychologist.com)- go to the 'more' link, then to 'FAQ', then to 'what is EFT?'. I discuss the rational explanations there as well. Feel free to get back to me about this. I also consider myself a sceptic,and am only impressed by evidence (which i also present in my book). I wanted to throw anything into the book which i have seen work with people, as it can all make an important contribution. best wishes, James.

James
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  15:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for responding. There are some very knowledgeable people here on the subject of chronic pain (I hope, some day, to count myself one) and I hope there will be a dialogue.

Edited by - pspa123 on 12/17/2012 15:35:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000