TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A-ha moment from reality show and SteveO's book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tcherie

72 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  08:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I was watching a reality show last light. For those of you who saw it, you will know the one I am talking about based on the scenario.

Basically, one of the individuals lostthe lower half of one of her legs when she was a child (around 6 i think) do to an accident with machinery. So now she is a mature adult probably around late mid to late 40's. She has a seemingly good life and a supportive husband. However, she has phobias (specifically, being trapped and heights). She explained to her castmates (who of course listened, but didn't really understand), that the phobias developed from that moment.

Ok, so now to Steveo's book, a quick quote, "TMS occurs within the freeze side (or hyper-flight) of the fight/flight/freeze survival response mechanism. At some point earlier in the individual's life, he survived a perceived threat, embarrassment, or even shame, by not fighting to express himself-or was unable to escape his situation due to helplessness. He then necessarily freezes to avoid the emotional pain-hardwiring false memories that are forever stored in his survival brain unless properly discharged-or recognized. His brain now has a new procedural conditioned response on how to handle future threatening scenarios because he feels continually helpless-with the help of the medical industry. The problem is that it is false, conditioned response-not necessary. The individual suffering from any host of chronic symptons has never purged an early perceived trauma from his memory bank. With each new conflict or trauma throughout his life, he screens the new threat through his false or corrupted memory and re-experiences helplessness-forever stuck in his own past, reacting the same way each time, as with OCD."

Since I am currently dealing with a combination of anxiety and some minor physical symptoms from having to go to the dentist, I remember getting emotional and saying to my mom, I don't understand why I am feeling this way over dental issues that most people don't react to.

(this part was actually hard to write. I started and stopped, not wanting to admit how I felt, I actually couldn't write it, so this is summarized...)
My A-ha moment...I went to a doctor for a different procedure about 5 years ago. Basically, it didn't turn out well. I went through a couple years of depression and the manifestation of various TMS symptoms trying to deal with what had happened. I finally was able to get past how I felt about what happened (or so I thought). However, I developed a fear of the competency of doctors. As far as I know, I was able to get past the trauma by doing certain things. However, whenever, I have a medical concern, I now have the need to do the same things to safeguard my health that I did previously which feeds the anxiety.

When I first came to this forum (about 4 years ago), I was dealing with TMS symptoms which manifested itself during my initial depression. It makes sense to me why I am back again now at this forum. While I got over those initial symptoms through the knowledge of TMS from doctor Sarno, my brain still has the memory of the initial trauma. It was retriggered by having to go to the dentist (feeling helpless). I hope that through this knowledge that I am gaining this second time around about TMS, will help me to free myself of the anxiety that I never realized manifested itself from an earlier trauma, as SteveO referred to in his book. (I am still reading and learning, but it has been enlightening, thus far).

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  00:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thsnks for sharing T, and the competancy of doctors is something most of us fear.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  15:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi tcherie,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I also find this difficult at times. I love Steve’s writing, and understand that my brain has frozen stuff inside that needs thawing out. The problem is I haven’t found a match to light the fire yet, but am forever hopeful!

I have had many crowns over the years, many of them replaced three times. I would discuss your concerns and experiences with your new dentist. I think he should listen. I had a bad experience with a doctor once over my appendix, so I went to a new one and had a hearty chat about the problem; it helped me get past it and purged my anxieties and worries.

Good luck

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 10/10/2012 15:11:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000