TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Food Combining
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Whoaday

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  19:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello guys,

Been a while. So I have a therapist through anxiety centre, and I was sent to the nutrition therapist for a few sessions and she works with those dealing with digestion/heart burn as well as anxiety. I have had a stomach ache/gas/ bloating everyday since I was 9 and I am 28 and had every test known to man. Nothing. She says its the WAY I eat food so she put me on this food combining diet...which to be honest I dont have the money for I can only eat a little per meal because its meat with veggie only...veggie with starch only...little gluten and NO lactose...I did this for the first week and for the first time I had hardly any gas, no bloating, stomach felt pretty good! I am not able to stick with it like I should and then I immediately get the symptoms...

So the question is...if it worked...PLACEBO? Or will I have to food combine the rest of my life? She said I wouldnt have to do forever but fast food is bad cause its all genetically engineered and will kill us all. Funny enough I bring this up because she started mentioning Dr. Sarno when I mentioned my symptoms move and she is down with TMS but is still physiological. She doesnt believe food combining will fix my anxiety/tms symptoms she just thinks you need to break the cycle of pain to commit to healing. Anyone have any experience of how I can do whatever and break these stomach issues?

Thanks and God Bless,
Brian

Whoaday

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  20:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It maybe a placebo or it may be just that this particular kind of eating suits your body type. If it has made you feel better why not stick with it for a while . If body feels better then mind will feel better too as one will definitely affect the other.

Sometimes a simple change is all that is needed.

BTW why is this kind of eating expensive? Could you not make it at home & take it to work with you?

Here's a link that my help

http://bodyecology.com/articles/food_combining_optimal_health_and_weight.php#.UGuuRRiisWg

All the best.

Mala

Honestly, I sometimes really get fed up with my subconscious. It's like it's got a mind of its own.

Alexei Sayle

Edited by - mala on 10/02/2012 20:25:21
Go to Top of Page

tcherie

72 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  20:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first time I experienced TMS, I dealt with it on two fronts. Even though you don't have to eliminate the stressor to cure the symptoms, according to what I have read, I felt it would help in my case to address the Rage/Soothe Ratio.

What I mean by this is that supposedly symptoms started to appear because my ratio had got significantly out of balance for my rage to express itself in symptoms.

So while I assured myself that the pain was TMS, I worked on soothing my tension (rage) with making myself feel good and things that were good for my body. For me, I improved my diet and exercised. They exercise was interesting, because at that I had muscle aches in my upper body. So I had to believe I was not hurting myself by exercising. I don't think the food combining is a placebo, if it is working for you and it makes you feel good keep on doing it for a while. Anxiety can affect how you digest your food. Maybe once the anxiety lessens, you will naturally find that you are digesting your food without issues.

Edited by - tcherie on 10/04/2012 08:15:50
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  00:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I'm sure TMS can cause stomach distress, I'm also sure that eating a bowl of raw broccoli and black beans would about make my abdomen explode, while most meals don't.

Foods are fuel and have an effect. We can't just think positively and live on junk food.
Meaning... TMS isn't always the culprit or the only culprit, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

jaya

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as soon as i changed my diet i felt great for about six months,,soon as i second guessed that it was my diet, i relapsed. drug companies test placebo for a good reason, hope this helps.none the less ive been gluten free ever since
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  16:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me explain what's happening. TMS will make hard to digest foods harder to tolerate. TMS makes your intestine more irritable. You take a lactose rich meal and whola, you have symptoms, on the other side of the coin if you had no TMS going on, you could digest it just fine. I thought I was lactose intolerant for 15 years until I recognized this and I overcame the condition. I do not believe lactose intolerance is a real medical illness but just TMS as described above. The way to overcome it is to not limit your diet and don't give the symptoms attention. Limit your visits to the bathroom to once per day despite the urge. Use mind power to clam your revved up mind. I think it's the most important part of recovery. Today I was at work and started to get mild back symptoms. I tired to just relax it did nothing. However by just repeating my affirmation a few times it disappeared completely.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  20:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

I thought I was lactose intolerant for 15 years until I recognized this and I overcame the condition. I do not believe lactose intolerance is a real medical illness but just TMS as described above.

I thought I was lactose intolerant too, for years I couldn't drink milk. Not until I realized that many of the food I eat have lots of dairy product in them and I can eat them without any problem.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  15:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to add, I have had multiple issues with digestion and bloating/constipation since I was as young as I can remember. I have also studied a lot about the gut and went on numerous diets to cure myself. The "gaps diet" and "paleo diet" all grain, refined sugar free took away ALL of my gut issues, but as soon as I add anything back, symptoms come back. My body type LOVES grain free diets. I lose weight effortlessly and my bloating goes away. I gain 5 pounds in a few days just adding corn chips back in! I saw Dr. Stracks this week who works with mind body. I have determined I do for sure have mind body syndrome, (I have a bladder disease, hip and back pain, joint pain, and the intestines issues.) Also, a very traumatic childhood. I have struggled with the diagnosis because food DOES in fact cause my joint pain and gut issues, and when I remove everything but cooked veges and meat most of my pain in my body goes away, including my back and butt. Then as soon as I try a new food my pain comes back. So, I believe my ROOT CAUSE is Mind body syndrome, but that my immune system is trained or does in fact cause these very real connections between my food and my symptoms. I am very black and white and trying to find the "grey" here. So, I am concluding that diet can help manage symptoms but the real cause is mind body and until that is dealt with I will only be managing symptoms with all these diets. Also, I may never be one to fully tolerate all foods, my body type might just be best suited for the type o that it is (if you have ever looked into blood type diet, my body seems to fit it to a tee.) I have also been diagnosed with leaky gut syndrome which is another reason for all the autoimmune and pain issues, but again these are all just issues with my immune function which the ROOT of is Mindy body.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  19:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mchan, don't make your goal that you will always need some sort of diet, you will not if you heal all the way. Diets are placebos, but obviously, do not go to extremes of any type of eating (or for anything for that matter). Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

jaya

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  17:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaky gut thing...food in the bloodstream......its a bunch of nonsense...you be in pretty rough shape if that were the case
Go to Top of Page

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  18:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont want my goal to be that I need a diet, but I do have a goal to stay in a weight range where I am comfortable so I dont have to buy a new wardrobe..lol. I enjoy the way I look and feel on the grain free diets.
Go to Top of Page

jaya

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  11:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mchan

I dont want my goal to be that I need a diet, but I do have a goal to stay in a weight range where I am comfortable so I dont have to buy a new wardrobe..lol. I enjoy the way I look and feel on the grain free diets.

make sure you steer clear of the mirror, and scale ,i went through a bout of that...youll find fault all the time, if you are eating healthy and feel good, move on with life....
Go to Top of Page

Whoaday

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  11:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all. I was just thinking no one had responded to this. So I should ignore it. I mean I try to eat decent but its hilarious how I just did what the lady told me and I had no gas no stomach ache and I thought Awesome! First time in forever..it wasn't enough to keeo from wanting some taco bell though. I went there and just sitting in the DRIVE thru before I even ordered I started to have stomach distress. If that isn't conditioning I dont know what is.

Whoaday
Go to Top of Page

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  18:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jaya, I agree..I use to have serious control issues around the scale so I did move it to another location in house and only visit it when I cant get my pants on to see how much I have gained..usually around my cycle time once a month. For me, its about being able to fit into the clothes I have and I use that as a gauge, but I have to be careful with the control! I do enjoy not being bloated though on grain free, and it would be fabulous if one day I could eat them and not bloat, we will see!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000