TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 its killing me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  15:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

Ace1’s suggestion to revise your signature is a good one. I did just this last week.

“Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)”
used to read:

“Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted soon.)”

The word “soon” indicated that I was in a hurry. I’ve since realized TMS has no timeframe, and that rushing is counterproductive. I now have a correct mini affirmation in my signature.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 12
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  16:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mala

So I have looked at the link that you sent about the meditation course & I am enrolling in the one in Oct. The latest one started 2 days ago. But Gosh they do have a strict adherence to all kinds of rules.

The Buddha had to meditate for years before he was "awake"

By the way, from reading many of your posts I kind of guessing your family is belonging to the Upper class in Hong Kong. (travel, maid, convertible...) for many years, in my learning about mindbody I have notice that people in the upper class also have a much higher rate of tms/anxiety. I don't know why but I'm guessing:
- compete with the jones. You have to act in a certain way, dress in a certain way... You have so much to worry about. your look, your finance, your status, your safety,... -> stress, strain,...

Kurt Cobain, Michael Jackson, Carpenter, Brooke Shield, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_major_depressive_disorder

It must be hard to be rich and/or famous.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  20:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

I've been thinking about you (and me ...) .... through this TMS "journey". When I first found Dr Sarno's work, my main focus was on getting rid of my chronic "sinus headaches" which I did, in a matter of months. But I wonder if my rather quick "success" hindered me in going deeper... I didn't "lose" some of my other chronic symptoms along the way, like I have heard other people have. And my "method" for my sinus headaches had to do with my "thinking psychological" and my ability to abort headaches in the moment, by doing that.

Now, especially as a results of Ace1's posts (including his success story) and my wondering whether a TMS approach might help my chronic ? fatigue ? I am trying to explore things a little more deeply, maybe differently. (I also don't know whether my fatigue problems are a result of another dx'd condition that I have, so not exactly sure what I'm doing.)

But when I started, and maybe I misunderstood TMS "theory", but I thought my headaches were a result of the UNconscious anger, etc. I think maybe this notion was reinforced by Scott Brady's work, which also focuses on the UNconscious feelings. So I did a lot of journalling, etc but now I am wondering whether I need to focus more on what is actually CONSCIOUS. I am well aware of my "reservoir of rage" and actually I do believe there are many things that it would make sense I am enraged about (and which I think is perfectly reasonable.) And many things I am anxious or fearful about, and yet I didn't really see those as contributing to my TMS because they were "conscious."

But now I am getting a different "take" on TMS, and I am rethinking all of this. Especially I have examined Ace1's success story and some of his other posts, and these parts particularly struck me, because they are different than how I approached my own chronic pain problem, but I wonder if they might be helpful to my other chronic symptoms:

quote:

I knew my problem had stemmed from my having made myself revved up from always being in a rush, but I didn't know how to reverse it. I came across mind power and started to use affirmations and visualizations to reverse this need.

I also found out that challenging the symptoms in anyway was actually slowing my recovery down. It just kept me focused more on my symptoms instead of allowing me to focus more on tension reduction and changing my intense reactions.

I found also I was conditioned to get symptoms in situations that I had hyped myself up to on countless occasions in the past and I had to use the mind power techniques to recondition my mind.

Think of your symptoms as more of a strain than anything else, therefore everything done with your mind and body has to be done with ease, comfort, forgiveness and patience.

It is better to constantly keep a watch on your inner reactions and this will teach you way more than journaling, then when your inner reactions are intense you observe them, don't add more fuel to them, accept them, then use your affirmations to counter them, but without immediate expectation. I think that the most common reason for symptoms in this society is being in a rush and trying get rid of the present moment. If in pain and you can't figure it out, then this is usually the cause 95%.

In my experience, I had people not pay attension to their bodies at all and just work on the mental strain and that was enough. I think that we may tend to strain more with our bodies when under a mental strain and this should be avoided if possible. Its as if the mental tension is so great, that we tend to strain or brace with our bodies as to make it more tolerable.

(THANKS, Ace1!)

I definitely am aware of feeling a great deal of chronic "mental strain" but because it was conscious, I didn't think it was a cause of any of my other symptoms, particularly. Now I am wondering if all of my mental strain IS really affecting my physical health in a moment-to-moment way and wondering if the whole point is just to feel mentally peaceful inside, (which will eventually result in better physical health, including no more pain anywhere). (?)

RSR

Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi rsr,
I'm really glad my posts have helped you. I have noticed in my practice if the reprogramming of the mind is not done through the mind power and reconditioning yourself to situations that normally hyped you up, you are never really cured. It may shift to something internal. This process does seem to take a generally long time. Some people however have more suggestible minds and can reprogram much faster, maybe along the same lines of how some people are more susceptible to hypnosis. I'm glad you were able to get rid of your headaches. Now you can just take your time with the other stuff without an agenda. Btw the other sxs you talk about are related to what were talking about here.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh btw, some of it is unconscious, but its bc you worried about or hyped yourself up, or affirmed negatively to an issue so much, that now you will get a symptom when put in the same situation without realizing what it is that's bothering you. Even if you change your aproach to the situation at first the unconscious reaction will still be there until you can reprogram. This situation had happened to me (ie driving to work, and waiting to eat dinner)
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  18:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

(ie driving to work, and waiting to eat dinner)

Oh wow! now I know why my wife is so cranky every time she is waiting for me to make dinner. Now I'm going to ask her to do some positive affirmation when it's my turn to cook.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  18:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  06:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, Ace ... YES your posts have really been changing the way I am thinking about my TMS and how I am approaching things, now. (I don't want to hijack Mala's thread here too much more so I may start a new thread next week when I have sorted out my thoughts a little more, but I have really been mulling over what you've said and taken it to heart, particularly these parts:

quote:

I have noticed in my practice if the reprogramming of the mind is not done through the mind power and reconditioning yourself to situations that normally hyped you up, you are never really cured.

Oh btw, some of it is unconscious, but its bc you worried about or hyped yourself up, or affirmed negatively to an issue so much, that now you will get a symptom when put in the same situation without realizing what it is that's bothering you. Even if you change your aproach to the situation at first the unconscious reaction will still be there until you can reprogram.

Well actually, I have taken apart what you've said and studied it line by line! Thanks again; I think this time I am really going for a complete cure and can see how to get there! -RSR

Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  04:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hijack away RSR. I have no problem whatsoever.
This is interesting stuff.

Mala

Honestly, I sometimes really get fed up with my subconscious. It's like it's got a mind of its own.

Alexei Sayle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000