TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 How to Not Fear Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BecB

30 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  08:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Struggling with this aspect. I cannot stand the mouth pain I have so I am having trouble not fearing it. I tell myself it is mental and that it won't hurt me. However, the pain is making me miserable so even if it is not life threatening, it is quality of life threatening. Any suggestions? Should I just keep pushing through day after day and try to ignore the pain?

Also, I avoid eating on the side of my mouth with pain. Would this be bad since it is avoiding?

I seem to have the complication that the pain turns into panic. I have three small kids and I worry about not getting better. I think it will be a longer road for me because I have such anxiety/panic complications.

Thanks,
Becca

Edited by - BecB on 12/15/2011 11:54:24

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  12:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pain is real, we can't forget that. Suffering is suffering no matter what the cause. Have you tried tylenol? That's very effective for moderate pain. If that doesn't do the trick and you're not concerned with addiction (that is to say you don't have an addictive personality), you might consider something stronger on an "as needed" basis.

Go to Top of Page

Teddybear

13 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  09:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Becca,

I will assume you went to the doctor and ruled out anything serious.

quote:
Originally posted by BecB

Also, I avoid eating on the side of my mouth with pain. Would this be bad since it is avoiding?

A resounding yes.

I was diagnosed with tendonitis/rsi/tennis elbow I didn't notice improvement until I quit babying my hands, and started using them intensively. In the beginning, the pain was more or less the same, but what changed was that I had hopeful expectation this time and my fear decreased gradually.

There's a habit I'd suggest you to (un)learn :

1 Stop avoiding it, and use it like you did in the past.

You know that that particular side of your mouth will hurt when used, so you use it as little as possible. Whenever you eat or whatever, you will make a point of strictly using the ''healthy'' side. Afraid that otherwise the pain will increase and eventually become irreversible. By now you've probably become used to this way of thinking, but do realize that this constant monitoring, fear, and walking on eggshells hasn't, and probably won't improve your symptoms whatsoever.

You could gradually use that side of your mouth again. The pain might persist and increase for some time, but expect things to improve. Don't think : ''I used it 30 minutes today, so I'll be hurting for days afterwards. At this rate it will become permanent''. Instead : ''I used it an hour today, tomorrow I can handle 60 minutes, and soon I'll completely forget this problem , gone without a trace. It's only a matter of time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000