TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Has anyone overcome gastritis?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  03:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the good wishes TaylorJoh. I'm sorry you had a problem with fibroids; I understand they can be awful. I'm on the pill, have the occasional light period, no problems, and had a full, clear gynae exam about a year ago, so I figure I'm okay there.

As for the food, PhilMid, thanks for the thought, but I'm a notoriously slow and small eater, to the point where waiters say 'Aren't you finished yet?' and chefs come out to ask if there was something wrong with the meal! I will eat half a plate of food (my limit) in the time it takes my companions to eat three courses (I never order more than one course). It's just my way, I accept that now. I eat a good diet. I'm a healthy weight (5'4", 140lbs). I work out.

But I attribute my gastritis/ulcer to NSAIDs, alcohol and stress. Particularly the stress - I've had a hell of a two years. When I was a kid, my stomach would play up when I was anxious. I had a clear colonoscopy a couple of months ago. It's IBS, it's always been IBS - i.e. TMS. I think the ulcer was an extra attention-getter when I started ignoring the IBS! Symptom imperative! To reiterate: I can eat anything when I'm feeling calm, and nothing when I'm anxious. It is TMS. It is TMS. Dicking about with diet is pointless. IT IS TMS.

By the way, I got ANOTHER call from those chiropractors this morning! Another girl, pretending she didn't know that I'd decided against treatment yesterday. Can you imagine these people telling me I had a simple problem and just needed one or two treatments? I don't think so!

I used to get a monthly massage from a very nice lady, to whom I could pour out my troubles. I'd feel better for a few days. Of course I would! Fine, if you accept it for what it is.

Have a happy day, everyone!

Joy
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  04:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW Tom, what you said about physicians referring to chiroquacktors - too right! I did a bit of conversational digging, and it seems that they are both rugby-playing mates... hmm...

Your experience did make me laugh, though...

You know, this guy hadn't examined me, hadn't listened to my symptoms, he'd done nothing but shake my hand... but he starts chucking words like 'tumour' about... I really don't see that as genuine patient concern, that is scare-mongering for financial gain, pure and simple.

Go to Top of Page

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  12:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhilMid

Some things to consider such as smaller mouthfuls, chewing food longer, not talking when chewing, not drinking when chewing, sipping non-fizzy drinks and not watching TV whilst you eat do help. This reduces air getting into the stomach and allows more chance for the salivary enzymes to start the first stage of digestion.

Apologies for my poor post on eating habits as I should have mentioned my experiences to explain why it helped me.

In 2010, I took Omeprazole (PPI) for gastritis but the stomach symptoms did not go completely after 28 days. I decided not to continue taking PPI drugs due to their long term side effects. I read Dr John Hunter’s book called “Irritable Bowel Solutions” that discussed eating habits and how it could produce symptoms.

I changed how I was eating (even though my previous habits were quite good) which reduced my symptoms. I also took Slippery Elm tablets 3 times per day for about 4-6 weeks which helped. If symptoms emerged, I took Slippery Elm and again it helped. Eventually the symptoms went as I knew I could control them through herbal remedies and good chewing habits. At that time, I did not know I had TMS. So the bad news is that TMS moved elsewhere to get my attention.

I also noticed that whenever I was anxious or impatient, how it was affecting my chewing. So I could relate emotions having a direct effect on my digestion and I am careful to observe this behavioural pattern. I am not saying that a change in eating habits will resolve gastritis but it may help.
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  13:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, really embarrassing admitting this but ...

I do graphic and web design, so most of my meals are in front of a computer and by myself. I never really paid much attention to how I ate. One day though, I had dinner with my parents and siblings. Once I was done, I said, "Oh, that was good mom." Everyone looked at me with their eyes wide and then looked at their plate which was more than half full!! I then started noticing I was taking big bites, chew a few times and swallow. And I haven't gotten out of that habit until just recently. I also noticed I wasn't breathing and definitely not relaxed. So, I think there is a good chance that has just exacerbated my problem. BTW, love the proverb! I will have to remember that while eating.

quote:
Originally posted by PhilMid

quote:
Originally posted by TaylorJoh

I told myself I wasn't going to fear what I ate and started eating baked chicken and rice and ended up in excruciating pain. Which of course set off the fear and anxiety. For some reason, when it comes to stomach pain, I just can't control it.

IBS symptoms and stomach pain can be brought on by how people eat.

Some things to consider such as smaller mouthfuls, chewing food longer, not talking when chewing, not drinking when chewing, sipping non-fizzy drinks and not watching TV whilst you eat do help. This reduces air getting into the stomach and allows more chance for the salivary enzymes to start the first stage of digestion. There are studies that chewing food more can lead to weight loss.

Just remember the proverb "the stomach does not have teeth".

Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  04:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear PhilMid - someone else who has the John Hunter book, isn't it great?! Good, sensible advice, and I do think it's valid that you brought it up - in fact, TaylorJoh just proved your thesis! I just worried that we were moving away from pure TMS, but of course, modern life gives a lot of us bad habits, and they're bound to have some effect, TMS notwithstanding.

Hope your reformed eating habits help, TJ! And thanks for the slippery elm advice, Phil, I have some now, and even tried it as a tea the other day (blech!)

I think the holidays bring a combination of physical factors, eg the change of diet and drinking and work and sleep routine, and psychological ones, eg exposure to family in high-stress situations... As ever, awareness is all!

Have a great day, Joy
Go to Top of Page

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  10:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TaylorJoh

I do graphic and web design, so most of my meals are in front of a computer and by myself. I never really paid much attention to how I ate.

TaylorJoh: you have a wonderful opportunity to explore with awareness/mindfulness when you eat especially when you are by yourself. I would try to find an alternative from eating in front of a computer. You may be suppressing information that your body is telling you.

Something else for you to ponder on “Drink food, chew soup”.
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  12:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I just worried that we were moving away from pure TMS, but of course, modern life gives a lot of us bad habits, and they're bound to have some effect, TMS notwithstanding.

I understand what you're saying. I don't attribute my thoroughly demolished stomach to how I eat, what I eat or don't eat. My stomach is the way it is due to fear, stress and anxiety. I'm just trying to be mindful not to make my symptoms worse than they already are by bad habits.
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  12:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few months ago, I was at the dentist office and was waiting for the bathroom to become unoccupied. A little boy walked out, pointed to my stomach and asked, "Is there a baby in there?" I thought no you little chit, keep moving lol. But that is how much my stomach was distended, I looked 9 months pregnant!

Now, I'm happy to report my stomach is back down to normal size and feeling very little pain. Yay!! I've really been working so hard on using the tools I've learned from Dr Sarno. And it really does work. Today, I'm feeling better than I have in 2 years.

Joy, how are you doing??

Edited by - TaylorJoh on 12/21/2011 12:14:05
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  12:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and wavy soul and Phil, I have been taking slippery elm and the DGL faithfully and I believe that it has really helped with the overall healing. I noticed when I would take the slippery elm at night, my stomach wouldn't be burning in the morning. I used to wake up bent over grabbing the walls it hurt so bad. I think there was to much acid on my stomach and the slippery elm would coat my stomach so it wouldn't happen.

Thank you to everyone for their advice and your stories. It just helps so much.
Go to Top of Page

MatthewNJ

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  11:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have solved gastritis with the TMS approaches. BUT always rule out the physical first. Once I had an ulcer (also a TMS eqivalant) but needed to be in the hospital. Needless to say it was diagnosed as "idiopathic". In other words they didn't have a clue what caused it. But I did: STRESS. I solved that one too.

Matthew
Ferretsx3@comcast.net
--------------------
Less activated, more regulated and more resilient.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  08:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had BILE gastritis? This is completely different than regular acid gastritis.

I'm just wondering what helped. I had my gallbladder out last spring, and this last month I've been battling pretty bad bile gastritis. They did an upper scope on me and my stomach was full of bile. My stomach was very red and irritated from this.

I guess bile is actually alkaline, but when it is present in the stomach too long and gets backed up, the stomach produces more acid to try and flush it out. This creates a double whammy.
Go to Top of Page

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  16:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul - I don’t know whether my suggestions will prove of any help to you. I have a bile related condition but mine can be controlled by drugs and diet and is not as troublesome as yours.

Did you get any advice or medication on how to manage this? I assume that you have ruled out TMS causing your gastritis and that Dr Sarno's methods will not resolve this problem. Have you looked on the web such as the Mayo clinic for their advice? (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bile-reflux/DS00651/DSECTION=alternative-medicine)

As bile is used to breaking down fats, is it possible that fat in your diet is exacerbating your problem? I know that I could directly relate my symptoms with fat intake.

You could try Slippery Elm to coat your digestive tract to limit the effect of gastritis. Also consider how you are chewing food and the size of your meal as that may take some pressure off your digestive system.That helped me with my "normal" gastritis before I knew it was related to TMS.

Go to Top of Page

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  15:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What meds did you take Phil. I'm on some the doc gave me, but I don't feel better. I almost feel worse. :(
Go to Top of Page

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  03:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me bile was leaking out the other way into the colon resulting in chronic diarrhoea, so the meds (Colesevalam which coats the bile) are specifically for that and my gallbladder is working fine.

For me, I know that reduced fat intake had an affect on my symptoms. Less fat meant that less bile was squirted out by the gallbladder. Your gallbladder removal has obviously changed how bile is used in digestion, but I was wondering whether fat may have a role to play for you?

Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  13:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, just lost a post... well, quick precis:

17th Nov 11: put on 20mg daily of prilosec (omeprazole) for suspected ulcer (also 2 x daily 200mg iron (ferrous sulphate) for anaemia). Took drugs and avoided alcohol (my idea) until 8th December, but the pain didn't abate much, so back to the locum GP who upped the dose to 40mg daily. He said I could drink over Christmas on this, so I did!

Today: 4th January - pain pretty much the same. So I am going to taper off the prilosec, starting today with 20mg, plus a zantac 12 hours later when the pain started to kick in. Will take 20mg for about a week, then switch to 10mg, then every other day; meanwhile switching to zantac, then natural remedies only. Probably take a couple of weeks. If the pain remains after that, I'll ask for proper investigation instead of chucking strong drugs at it by guesswork.

What has helped: staying off alcohol - I find it aggravates my anxiety big time, even a small amount. Watching my posture - if I slouch, or don't exercise enough. What hasn't helped: being anxious and stressed! Gin! I aim to stay off the alcohol, and will do my best to stay off the anxiety, and let you know how it goes.

Bests, Joy
Go to Top of Page

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  15:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Mayo clinic (surprise, surprise) suggests limiting or avoiding alcohol both for bile reflux and gastritis. It also has advice on lifestyle, dietary and alternative medication.

I also took Omeprazole for gastritis which did not resolve it after a 28 day dosage. I was reluctant to continue as I did not like the side effects. Slippery Elm worked for me (Mayo clinic list this as a natural remedy).

Edited by - PhilMid on 01/04/2012 15:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  16:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil, any info gratefully received!

To be clear, this is my decision to come off the PPI, I'm not doing this under doctor's orders. This may not suit everyone, and I may turn out to be wrong! I'll keep an eye on it, and try to use TMS techniques as well as natural remedies. But I will go back to my GP if I feel I have to.

Joy
Go to Top of Page

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  05:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joy I Am – I applaud you for aiming to come off PPI and put yourself in control. As you said it may not work but you won’t know unless you give it a go. Good luck and I hope this puts you on the way to resolving your gastritis.
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  17:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joy, I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling with this still.

I also applaud you for at least trying to get off of the PPI's, to see how you fare. I was on them for months. I was taking Prilosec 40mgs. What I noticed is, if I ate, I would feel the food on my stomach for hours. I think the PPI prevented me from producing enough acid to move the food out when it was supposed to, therefore exacerbating my symptoms.

And Joy, alcohol on a hurting stomach is just a bad idea period. I'd also watch anything with vinegar. Vinegar is just sour wine. Alcohol and vinegar would have put me in the hospital lol.

Are you doing the slippery elm and DGL? I still take them 3 x's a day. I especially do it at night. I no longer wake up with excruciating stomach pain anymore. In fact, I don't have stomach pain much at all anymore unless I eat something really really fattening.

Oh also, before I eat, for a few minutes I put on my head phones and listen to some meditating music and pray. The praying part might not be your sort of thing, but you can always try listening to some meditating music and just completely relax. Then my tummy welcomes the food in a good state. Which has helped tremendously.

Also, I wouldn't worry to much about your posture. A lot of times when we try to have the "correct" posture, we tend to tighten our stomach muscles up. In fact, when I started just completely relaxing, not worrying about my posture, letting my stomach pooch out, it would feel better.

My mom used to be dogmatic about good posture, tummy in, butt muscles tight. That was OK for her, because she's not a huge stressing anxious person. She is in her 50's and has the body of a 25 year old. But I think for people like us, it just translates into tension. That is just my opinion though, you know what does and doesn't work for you.

As you know though, keeping your stress and anxiety at a minimum is the only way to get you past the finish line. I know it's easier said then done. And sometimes I feel guilty preaching to people about stress and anxiety because, I don't have kids, a husband, or boss that can stress me out. So, it's pretty easy for me to be Cool Manchu. I'm also not a "goodist", so that really helps. I just stupidly worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet lol. Crazy.

Ohhh, I hope you and Paul get better soon. I know how difficult it is to live with stomach pain and discomfort. And I hate to hear that you're still going through it. I suffered with it for 2 years and it was getting unbearable. Keep us posted and I hope you get to feeling really good soon!
Go to Top of Page

glowgirl

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  21:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look up soaked flax seeds and lemon water.

www . home-remedies-site . com/health/gastritis.htm
this site has other remedies but those are the two i know about.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000