TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Threw my back out! Rest or Think-Psychological?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wilcox2969

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  14:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really off topic as far as relapses....but I have few questions...if you don't mind. When you first had issues with your back, what were you told by the docs? Did you get mri/x-rays done? As far as tms, I've been trying for 12 months to resolve what I have and it's been really tough to break through all of the symptoms and like you I have relapses, but I would say that I have only experienced about 70% relief in the last 12 months... I only ask about the condition of your body because believing in tms has been difficult because I'm not sure that is the only possibility outside of a known structural issue.

AW.
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  15:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m mainly self-diagnosed. I had X-rays and MRIs by a non-TMS doc in 2008 that showed nothing abnormal. A neurologist even suggested my pain was psychosomatic! It was just after that I discovered the books.

So, yes it's tough even if you are completely on board with concept of TMS as I am and as my relapse indicates.

I've been reviewing TMS stuff online. This video of Alan Gordon talking about accumulating "evidence" that your pain is from TMS might be helpful for you, if you haven't seen it (or even if you have):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LuFkMsadw
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  09:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the most recent post from the "SUCCESS STORIES" forum. I would recommend reading it as it likely holds true for those who have been cleared medically and want pursue the TMS path. There are almost a thousand posts there, I haven't read most of them but assume they are predominantly from those who have discovered TMS, been by this site and gone on to resuming normal functioning and activities.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9998

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  18:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm again in the midst of a lower back pain relapse just 8 months after my last one. The previous one before that was 7 years prior!

There's a real possibility that the death of Dr. Sarno last week was a major factor in what caused this relapse for me. I was sad when I saw the news, but not surprised or consciously traumatized. He was 93. We knew this was coming. But as I started journaling (which, unfortunately, I only think to do while I'm having pain) I realized how much of an influence he's had on my life, all the way down to a subconscious level. There's some great practitioners out there, but I realized that I don't trust ANY of them like I did Dr. Sarno! Letting myself grieve has helped a lot to get me out of this latest episode. ...add the fact that my own father is 90, and there you have some major subconscious feelings.

This episode isn't nearly as bad the one last November, but it's a total surprise that, like the last one, started gradually and took several hours to reach some rather bad pain levels.

As I lamented before, I wish there were more resources for relapsers. 80% of all the books available are dedicated convincing new comers that TMS is real, and discounting conventional medicine's approach. A book for TMSers would be nice....though woefully unprofitable probabl
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  16:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And just 6 weeks later another lower back pain relapse. Not as bad as the last, but still damn annoying. Unlike the last two, that came on gradually, this one came as a jolt as I sat and simply tied my shoe! And then another jolt a few moments later. I'm not sure exactly what triggering these relapses, but I'm starting to realize how much the news and the outside world rattles my subconscious. This one coincides with the threat of nuclear and Nazis marching on US soil. The last one with the death of Dr. Sarno. The one last year with the presidential election. These of course are traumatic events, but not ones that you would necessarily associate with unconscious rage (seems like there's already plenty in my conscious state!)

At this point this 7 year thread (!) is basically a log of my TMS history. I'm always looking for input and ideas about why I'm a relapser/symptom imperative candidate. Are there any stories out there of relapsers finally figuring out how to completely put TMS to bed?

Edited by - bagofwater on 08/13/2017 16:44:45
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  21:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Dr. Sarno's death could be it. Death I believe is #1 on the stressors list.
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  13:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt his death added to the reservoir, but of course I have lots going on in my life. I've never been a particularly happy person in general. In fact I'm starting to think I'm borderline depressive. Though I've never seen any evidence that suggests it, that state (this state) can't be all that conducive to a full TMS recovery.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  09:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bagofwater

No doubt his death added to the reservoir, but of course I have lots going on in my life. I've never been a particularly happy person in general. In fact I'm starting to think I'm borderline depressive. Though I've never seen any evidence that suggests it, that state (this state) can't be all that conducive to a full TMS recovery.

The state is another symptom.
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  12:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ A good point! Thanks for the reminder.
Go to Top of Page

yogaluz

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  09:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I'm so grateful for the timing of your post (though of course I'm sorry you're in pain). I just suffered a lower back pain relapse after being relatively pain free for 3-4 years. I'm actively tapping into my anxieties and rage and there's plenty in the tank, believe me. Sadly, I have this niggling thought about structural issues. I recently started working out, lifting weights, seeing a trainer after three years of relative inactivity due to being trapped in a horrible job with an abusive boss. I had just started feeling stronger and fitter when bam, my lower back seized up. There's a very "nervy" element to the pain but I do know I've experienced this before so am not overly alarmed by it. BUT, my trainer told me that when you start exercising rigorously, your muscles release certain chemicals that cause the fascia to adhere to the muscle which can cause pulling across nerves and pain. I know this is TMS but damn, that little seed got planted and now I think I'm going to have to spend the next few weeks reading HBP to get it out of my mind.

This is all to say that I believe relapses will occur for most of us, even if we've had success in the past. Though I have moments of fear and discouragement, I'm actually somewhat grateful for this episode. It's caused me to dig deep into some life issues that I've been coping with for years by "treading water." Sort of surviving instead of living and I know that needs to stop. The actions I must take are going to be painful and if my back wasn't in pain, I would still be avoiding them and slipping further and further into apathy.

Are there any issues you're dealing with that will require major life changes? Or perhaps things you're unhappy with that you have no control over? And of course, we're living in uncertain times which can contribute. I decided to take a (modified) news fast for a while to try to calm my nervous system down. It helped.

I hope you find relief soon and know that you're not alone out there in relapse city.

pain is inevitable, suffering optional
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  19:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it can be tough to overlook info from trusted sources, like a trainer. Even the fraction of chance that he's correct can undermine one's resolve. That said yogaluz, you have TMS :)

"This is all to say that I believe relapses will occur for most of us, even if we've had success in the past. "

I hope that's not the case with me. I'm finding diminishing returns from the introspection I get when experiencing relapses. Also, the existence of people who receive book-cures - that is those that read HBP and never relapse - makes me think it's possible to train ourselves to stop falling for the deception once and for all. If not forever, at least to very-infrequently. [remember, anyone who was book-cured is unlikely to seek advice on a forum. why would they?]

Since last November my relapses have become more frequent. The one's I've been getting recently (and experiencing currently) hit me out of the blue like a pain-level 11 shock from a cattle prod. It subsides to a level 5 immediately but I need a few days to get back to 0. This KEEPS happening. It's equal parts boring, painful and frustrating. ...one weird aspect of these recent cattle prod attacks is that they each have come just before I'm about to extend my back to, say, tie my shoe. Not during the stretch mind you, but just before. The 1st time it happened I said 'this is ridiculous' and ignored and went to tie my shoe again and again I got zapped. WTF? I'm not aware of any past shoe-tieing trauma that would trigger such a response from my subconscious!

Btw, re my OP, I did have a consultation with a therapist at Dr. Gordon's clinic back in November. His response to my question"Is only the spasm itself is caused by TMS or is the subsequent pain also a manifestation?" was that both are manifestations of TMS.

Edited by - bagofwater on 10/24/2017 19:27:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000