TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Swearing and Pain Relief
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case anyone missed this:

"How swearing achieves its physical effects is unclear, but the researchers speculate that brain circuitry linked to emotion is involved. Earlier studies have shown that unlike normal language, which relies on the outer few millimeters in the left hemisphere of the brain, expletives hinge on evolutionarily ancient structures buried deep inside the right half."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-we-swear

An interesting comment though in the abstract, given the subject of catastophizing (I haven't paid for the full article):

"However, swearing did not increase pain tolerance in males with a tendency to catastrophise."

http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2009/08050/Swearing_as_a_response_to_pain.4.aspx

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  22:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to see you back on the Alexis (everything in moderation). Your success story was actually one of the stories that helped me cure myself of my TMS, so thanks!

Forest
tmswiki.org
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  18:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks forest - it's nice to be on that side of the cure after so many other people's stories helped me.

I still can't help seeing this whole TMS business in stories I come across in the news...it's amazing how many pieces fit in from different angles.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000