TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Breaking the conditioning habit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kavita

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  08:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any techniques that work to help overcome the association of certain activities with pain? For example, if I spend a lot of time using the computer/mouse, my right shoulder/neck tenses, goes numb, and spasms. My strategy now is to ignore the pain, tell the pain to "do its worst, because I am not listening", and to ask myself, "What am I feeling right now." I have also tried visualizing myself sitting at my computer for hours, without pain, but this is difficult. I almost can't remember what it is like to move the mouse for prolonged periods and not experience pain.

There are times when I experience pain while relaxing. As I was having lunch with friends yesterday, I noticed the pain, so I immediately asked myself, "What am I feeling?" At the time I felt relaxed, enjoying food and company. I will admit that I spend the majority of day anxious about some project or anotherm, so I couldn't understand the pain at a time of pleasure.

I would also like some advice on letting go of anger. I have identified my feelings of inadequacy and guilt, and understand why they exist. There are situations from my childhood that are upsetting, but now that I have identified them, how can I let go of this sadness and anger, caused by someone I love?

I have been journaling my entire life (since I was 10), and I dedicate time before I sleep myself to positive imagery (me beating the pain), relaxation techniques, and positive self-talk. I also do some reading, be it Sarno, Sopher, Amir, or Back Sense. I don't let the pain get in the way of my life activities. Still, it hurts! Any suggestions?

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  12:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kavita,

One possibility I thought of about you experiencing pain when you relax: your conscious mind may be relaxed but if you "spend the majority of day anxious about some project or another" this anxiousness may dive into your subsconcious when you think you have pushed it away to relax.

So underneath the surface you may have a conflict going on between feeling the right to relax and you should be working at "achieving" 24 hrs a day. That conflict can generate a lot of anger that you may not be aware of.

As far as letting go of anger some people on the forum have talked about how much the book "Facing the Fire" has helped them. I can't remember the author's name.

Kat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000