TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 knee pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

molomaf

119 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  08:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that what I have is knee TMS but I've never seen it described as I have it. My knee has always "cracked" which is painless. However, sometimes my left knee "locks" and I have to bend my knee to hear the crack and it unlocks. It seems to happen more when I am NOT moving. I have always thought that it might be a tiny piece of something getting stuck in my knee. It's not often that this happens. Lately, it hasn't been happening at all. I guess I am answering my own question that it is TMS but has anyone else experienced this?

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  10:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Molomaf,

From my understanding of thr TMS literature, "snap, crackle, pop" sounds, coming from joints, are for the most part normal. The joints have things called bursas. When the joints are used, the bursas secrete a lubricant called synovial fluid. I like to think of it as WD-40 for the joints. After I exercise my joints for about 10 minutes, I can feel it getting lubed up by the synovial fluid. I have heard that the bursas are a body part that can regenerate itself like a liazards tail, when it is removed or damaged. If I've got any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me or expand on this.

The noises that emenate from our bodies, especially as we get older, are probably all normal aging sounds, except in California, where getting older is a crime.

I believe, if we don't move our joints, we won't secrete the synovial fluid that will lubricte the joint and quickly make the sounds and rubbing sensations disappear.

If you buy into, the mainstream, medical/industrial complex, party line, you will fear movement. This is because they have brainwashed us into thinking that our bodies are weak, inferior, wearing out, bone on bone, etc. Their prosthetic replacement parts, surgical procedures and physical therapies are the answer. I have personaly found this NOT to be true, after reading Sarno's books for about ten years, experiencing many differnent therapies and observing those who have had surgical procedures.

No fear! Use it or lose it! Just do it!
tt

Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  12:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Molomaf

You've hit upon the main stumbling block I have in my recovery from TMS.

I get exactly the same thing in my elbows and shoulders (and to a lesser extent in my knees, thumbs, one ankle and wrists).

I'm aware that most people have joint cracking or popping to some degree but no one I know has ever had a situation like mine.

If I carry something held up to my chest with both elbows I sometimes cannot unbend my arms to put that load down (even if it's not a heavy load). If I've only used one elbow I can use the other arm to unbend the bent one (it won't always unbend on it's own) and I have to push it through an unpleasant resistance until it snaps. I have more trouble when it's two arms as you can imagine!

The snapping sound is so loud it gives other people a fright - like a gunshot.

I have had chronic pain in my arms for 10 years and I can remember having this "catching" in my elbows for at least that long so it has been one of the things that made me thing I have a structural problem and hindered me in focusing on the psychological. BUT...

I have noticed that sometimes when I think for example: my wrist hasn't been popping lately and then they start to within a day or two of thinking that! While the wrist popping isn't the same as the elbow and shoulder catching and cracking it does show to me that it's not necessarily just pain that TMS can use as a strategy. As we've seen in this forum it can be hayfever, asthma etc.

One thing I have yet to get brave enough to do is to go back to swimming. I have been told my shoulders are too rounded forward and according to my dr I got tendonitis from swimming - he said my tendons were rubbing over the bones and catching (esp right shoulder). When it started I tried to push through it but it got harder and more painful to do this. I would actually hear the snap under water in my right shoulder with every stroke (freestyle) and it would ache for days after. Altho' I stopped swimming my arms shoulders have remained very clunky - they feel like they are partially dislocating sometimes and then clunking back into place.

I also have a clunk in my back that occurs often when I stand up from sitting. This is usually painless although I have had lower back problems on and off since an accident at work about 12 years ago.

My doctor is very open to the mind body connection but when it comes to the "oversuse" pain in my forearms but when it comes to the catching shoulders and elbows he thinks I need to do exercises to correct my posture. Trouble is I've had years of doing various exercises (physio, pilates etc etc) and usually I've had to stop as the exercises flare my symptoms up.

It's a challenge to not focus on the structural but part of me thinks that the TMS gremlin is just being extra clever when it causes locking up of joints like this. It knows we're going to find it hard not to say "Well there's proof that it's not TMS". Refuting that is the main challenge for me.

Kat
Go to Top of Page

molomaf

119 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  14:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't the cracking or popping that concerns me at all. It is the catching or locking feeling. Could it be a tiny fragment of something that just floats into the knee? I have to kick my leg to unlock the knee. That is what I'm not sure is TMS. I mean not everything is TMS!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000