TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandhya

16 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  09:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi folks!

I have 2 questions to ask:

1. I have read several Sarno and Sarno-oriented books. I would love to have a little shot in the arm, so to speak, while driving and perhaps a DVD or video to watch at home. There seem to be a variety of audio and video products to choose from (Sarno, Brady, Schechter, etc.)

Any opinions on which of the above seemed the most helpful, direct, and/or inspiring? Actually, I am pretty inspired already but the more practical advice, the better.

2. I am a musician and have had some tough RSI troubles. Have any other professional musicians been helped by this approach? I am asking for myself and for many others I am involved with...RSI is very common among musicians and is usually attributed to posture, odd and often assymetrical movement patterns, heavy instruments, work pressures, etc. etc.

I have had some success with Sarno's approach, esp. combined with Fred Amir's ideas, approach but have much to learn. Looking forward to your replies! thanks - s.

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  12:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One comment from ,my research as well as personal experience ( I have been playing drums for 30 years!) is that most patients diagnosed with RSI or Carpal Tunnel from any repetitive action are actually suffering from ischemic tendonitis, a completely harmless, but very painful TMS equivalent. I had it in both wrists (especially my right) for years. It is long gone now, along with all my other TMS symptoms. – Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  13:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that most musicians have a combination of TMS - causing the chronic pain, but also tension and stiffness from years of playing.
Treat the pain as TMS, then check out meridianstretching.com as a way to remove the tension that may have built up over the years. The best way is to have an assisted stretching session with one of the certified trainers who can help make sure the muscles are in proper balance
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  19:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All are good. Buy them all. I read them all many times and they all offer something new

Sarno-ize it!
Read chapter 4 of Dr. Sarno's "The Divided Mind." It's all you need to know in order to recover.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  08:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe there is such a thing as a combination of TMS and "tension and stiffness". Tension and stiffness are TMS symptoms. Our bodies adapt to what we do and become strong where we need it.

I'm not a professional musician, but I played a great deal in high school and college before I started having RSI symptoms. It was almost the first thing I gave up because I got told so many times that it was really hard on me and bad for me.

I no longer have any trouble playing music or typing or doing any other type of hand and arm-related motion. I don't think that playing instruments is any worse than any other such activity. Your body gets accustomed to it and learns to perform it well. And all the warnings about bad posture are so much nonsense. It's a good idea to use comfortable and ergonomic positions because your body can perform better that way, but sitting a litte oddly doesn't doom you to RSI. (I'm resting my palms on the keyboard and slouching at the moment. :-))

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  11:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnD

. . . check out meridianstretching.com as a way to remove the tension that may have built up over the years. The best way is to have an assisted stretching session with one of the certified trainers who can help make sure the muscles are in proper balance

JohnD. Sounds like you're saying it's partly physical in nature. It's been my experience that people don't heal believing they can "kind of" remove all limitations.

Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  11:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang around the forum for a year or two. Those that either fully commit to TMS, or failing that act as if they've committed get better...Those that sink into a swamp of uncertainty and doubt have a much harder time.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnD

I believe that most musicians have a combination of TMS - causing the chronic pain, but also tension and stiffness from years of playing.

When people say this, I tell them to check out a video of Steve Howe, the guitar player from YES.

Our bodies are miraculous machines. They adapt. If you believe RSI has a physical component it is detrimental to recovery.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sandhya,

I spoke to a musician recently at an RSI support group meeting and she had got better from this approach.

I'm not sure there's any difference between musicians' RSI and computer-related RSI. (There certainly isn't from the TMS perspective.) You'll find plenty of us cured from RSI on this forum. Check out the Success Stories forum.

It's good to hear of your success so far.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

sandhya

16 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  22:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks to all who replied. I am so grateful for every opinion.

This is so wonderful and yet so spooky. I feel as though I am swimming against the current. THe worst, most resistant symptoms have really responded to TMS thinking, and yet I am not yet back to full functioning.

Anyway, thanks again. I will keep plugging away! I think a very clear picture of complete recovery (as discussed in AMir's book) is something I need to cultivate.

thanks again...will stay tuned!

best, s.

p.s. Any more thoughts about video or audio presentations of mind-body ideas would be greatly appreciated. Better to get the audiobook of Healing Back Pain or one of the other audio or video presentations?

Edited by - sandhya on 07/05/2007 22:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  07:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
When people say this, I tell them to check out a video of Steve Howe, the guitar player from YES.

Steve, the guitar player from YES? I made out with him and kissed him at a party in London when I was a teenager. Apparently the mojo from that has kept him in good shape!

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  09:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wavy Soul

quote:

Steve, the guitar player from YES? I made out with him and kissed him at a party in London when I was a teenager. Apparently the mojo from that has kept him in good shape!

Well I don't know about that ... he does kinda look like a skeleton these days

However he can still play as great as ever. And if you focus on his left hand while he's playing you will marvel that the human hand can actually be put into those positions. If anyone was to develop RSI from playing guitar it would be Howe, and there's no signs of that after 40+ years.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  13:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lack of range of motion (from tension....yes we do carry tension in our bodies after all) and TMS pain are 2 totally different things. One can have TMS pain with a lack of range of motion. You can overcome the pain using TMS treatment, and if one chooses (as I did) you can regain flexibility lost from TMS. I don't know about of any of you but I would rather have the flexibility to do more of the activities that I love (and do them better and without having muscle soreness the next day or 2) now that I am TMS free. 2 totally different things. Lets not get carried away here.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't want to be stronger and more flexible?

Alot of factors play into how a body adjusts to a repetive activies....genetics, personality type, frequency of activity etc....

Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  13:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would also like to add that not all people lose any range of motion at all from TMS and therefore wouldn't need to regain flexibility or remove "tension". I was one of those that did....where as before TMS I could bend over and touch the ground with straight knees, after TMS I couldn't even come more than half way down my shins.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  19:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lost ROM with TMS and it came right back when the symptoms disappeared. I frankly think that the remaining stiffness is just as psychological as the original pain, as I still get stiff muscles and popping in my back, where I have not really conquered all my symptoms because they are just not severe enough for me to bother with the mental work required not to send my emotions there.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  19:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thats good that you were able to get your ROM back. Like I said, I know many who get it back quickly or never lose it for that matter. But others, especially those who have TMS longer and are physically compensating for great lengths of time do lose ROM, thats just how the body works.

Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  21:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandhya

p.s. Any more thoughts about video or audio presentations of mind-body ideas would be greatly appreciated. Better to get the audiobook of Healing Back Pain or one of the other audio or video presentations?

Yes, here are some freebies ... a member of our forum --Kelvin--has created. It has lots of journaling advice, free audio programs (interviews with Sarno), and other good and helpful stuff to help you get AND STAY better. http://www.etex.net/kelving/

I am an RSI survivor and musician. Carpal Tunnel so severe the doc said surgery was my only choice if I wanted to pain to stop. CTS was the first TMS sx I mastered using Sarno concepts. I did NOT need surgery and never saw that doctor again.

Good luck and welcome to our crew!

>|< Penny
"Oz never did give nothing to the Tinman that he didn't already have."
song lyric, America
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000