TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Former pro athletes with debilitating injuries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisb89

42 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  17:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently read an article about the 1980 SF 49ers and how almost all of them have some type of chronic knee/back/shoulder condition and they live in constant pain. This is true of countless former pro athletes even though when most of them retire they are not injured. These injuries usually show up years later.

The common view is that these athletes have suffered for years of wear and tear and then it finally shows up. I guess the Sarno way of looking at it would be that they once were heroes and then when they retire at age 30 they are suddenly faced with no direction in their lives (also keep in mind that athletes in the 80's didn't make what athletes today make and so many of them have financial concerns when they retired so young).

Thoughts?

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  18:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
perhaps it may depend on how successful they were? The injuries may not seem so severe or "worth it" in their minds if there were superbowl rings attatched, or pro bowl appearences.

I suppose too that people coming up to them all the time and making comments to them all the time like "your body must've taken quite a beating if you add up all those years" can't be good for the pain either.

And yeah, I guess if they have repressed rage, it's all to easy to fall back on old injuries as a way to distract the concious. I suppose if I was on those teams in the past, my back, knee whatever would flare up every time I read about the signing bonuses these untested kids are getting out of college these days

Edited by - skizzik on 03/28/2007 18:38:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000