TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Calendar Phenomenon and TMS Misery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnO

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  13:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any suggestions for beating TMS once and for all? After I saw Dr. Sopher 6 weeks ago, I was so much better but the lower GI misery comes and goes now. There are a bunch of good days followed by some really bad ones. Dr. Sopher says that the mind never gives up the strategy of trying to distract and will keep the pain coming when it can. He also says not to get hung up on the “calendar phenomenon” which is easier said than done. I believe that I have TMS a thousand per cent after endless wasted surgeries, drugs and procedures which resulted in nothing but how have the rest of you shaken this once and for all?

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly JohnO, it takes time and a lot of hard work. For some they recover quickly while for others it takes quite a bit longer. When it does take longer this is where doubts set it and you begin to ask yourself "maybe I don't have TMS afterall, but some physical problem that the doctors have not yet discovered."

Continue to follow the program as outlined by Dr. Sarno and Dr. Sopher, doing the daily reading, and resume all normal physical activity while continually telling yourself that you cannot hurt yourself whatsoever. The recovery does not come over night as you are dealing with some really powerful emotions which insist on remaining buried.

Sarno-ize it!

Edited by - shawnsmith on 03/27/2007 05:22:21
Go to Top of Page

JohnO

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  19:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying, Shawn. I am thinking of pschyotherapy as Sarno suggests for maybe 20% of cases where just the hard work alone is not suffiicient. Finding the right therapist can be hard, I understand.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  23:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JohnO, have you done journaling and that type of thing? It really helped me, and my pain went away after I had journaled regularly for some weeks. I try to do it periodically now to keep the minor recurrences down. (I am also setting up now to see a therapist, having ultimately decided it would be helpful.)

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

JohnO

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  05:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Armchair -- I have tried some journaling. I have some real good days and think I have this licked and then whammo-- it gets real bad again like my brain is mad at me for thinking that way. I struggle with journaling. I never know really what to write excpet daily stresses and past bad stuff in my life. Is that what you do? Any tips? How do you go about finding a therapist that endorses and practices Sarno's teachings?
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  06:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of therapists listed at www.mindbodymedicine.com
and www.tarpityoga.com I spoke to Dr. Don Dubin in California, he was
very good, very helpful and insightful. Does Dr. Sopher refer any therapists?

Edited by - altherunner on 03/27/2007 06:07:26
Go to Top of Page

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  08:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, It definitely takes time. You will have ups and downs. I experienced good days and bad and a few relapses along the way. My research has shown me that this is common in many patients. Just keep at it and reinforce your knowledge therapy every day. Continual reinforcement worked great for me and I can say I have been symptom free for a long time now. I also agree that journaling is terrific. I just wrote small ideas about anything on my mind and filled pages and pages with so many things I never realized really bothered me. I took the time to go back and read it all occasionally which helped me to continue the process of delving into my subconcious mind. Writing it all down is a great way to uncover new avenues to explore, especially when it comes to past events. I also recommend reading "Write It Down, Make It Happen" by Henriette Anne Klauser, Ph.D. Best to you, Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG

Edited by - sensei adam rostocki on 03/27/2007 08:24:52
Go to Top of Page

JohnO

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you for great advice and encouragement. This forum and you all are awesome.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  16:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim1999 had a long post on journaling a while back, and I think there are some about prompt questions as well. Kelvin has a guide here: http://www.etex.net/kelving

Past threads:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2915
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2780
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1135
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2592

I did a long series where I explored all the issues that were in my life at the time of my first serious pain. That one was very cathartic because it allowed me to revisit the entire situation in the light of TMS. Some other questions can be like "What am I fearing lately?" and "When were you last really angry?" It's basically what you said, a combination between daily stresses and current issues, and looking at the past.

In one of the threads above, I noted that I think one important factor in journaling is being aware you are doing it to aid in the relief of repressed feelings, and somewhat consciously pushing the feelings out of you and onto the page.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000