TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Any advice much appreciated
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fs1epop

France
9 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  04:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I discovered Dr Sarno's work about 10 months ago after being in pain for nearly 2 years after a yoga "incident". Pretty soon about 70% of the pain in my body just dropped out. Since last summer i've had about 30% of the pain left which seems to come and go depending on the time, but has never gone 100%. It's livable with but I want to get rid of it completely.

I have no problem accepting the diagnosis of TMS but sometimes in my darker moments I wonder if I have something physical wrong underneath the TMS. The reasons for this are

1) My pain is mostly in my shoulders and between the shoulder blades. I have had pain coming and going in other areas but always in this are which stays.

2) I don't know if I have the buttock and low back trigger points that Dr Sarno talks about in his books.

However, I did have a FULL MRI scan of my back and they could find nothing wrong except for a bit of "normal" disc degeneration. I know that my mind is trying to play tricks on me by trying to make me believe that there is something physical wrong - but in the absence of any TMS doctors this side of the world it's not always easy to ignore the demons.

Does anybody have any similar experiences?

Best

tim

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonjour F-Pop,

Your case mirrors mine to a large degree. In my case two yoga injuries with the pain settling into my butt. I consider you lucky, your MRI's came back clear. Mine were dx'ed as arthritis, get a hip-replacement.

My advice would be go on with your life, quit getting medical opinions, because they might find something. Don't waste your time and money on alternative treatmetns, therapies, supplements, gizmos or gadgets. Invest that money into the stock market and it will make you happier in the long-run.

Most every athlete and yoga teacher I know has something but they persevere. Success is in the mind not the body. Pain is part of the human condition but suffering does not have to be.

Cheers,
tt
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  15:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Most every athlete and yoga teacher I know has something but they persevere. Success is in the mind not the body. Pain is part of the human condition but suffering does not have to be.

TT, you are the man lately. This is exactly right. I'm an aging warhorse...runner/biker/golfer...and have more niggling and not so niggling stuff than you could shake a stick at...But I go out almost every day and do what I can, which for my age I think is a pretty respectable amount..

Pre TMS enlightenment, PTE, I had not only pain but also lots of fear. As far as I'm concerned, it's the fear that does most of the damage...Lose the fear and you're more than half way home...
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doubts always seem to creep even when you have had great success with the program. This is your brain playing with you. The best advice that Dr. Sarno has ever given anyone has been "resume normal physical activity" with the reminder that you CANNOT hurt yourself. The 30% will go just like the other 70% left, it just takes time. I am in the same boat you are in but I am getting on with my life. I am moving to a new home on Friday and a lot of stuff needs to be done abd brainiac is really trying to mess with my head, but when I see it for what it is I am not as fearful.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

fs1epop

France
9 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  05:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys

It's funny, i know that it's my brain messing with me on one level but on the other you sometimes you start believing it...(im sure you all know how it is)

I am actually very active these days and play a wide variety of sports. Only thing i can't seem to bring myself to do is the yoga pose that "caused" the "injury". Even tho I know it is ridiculous there seems to be a block to it. I am also aware that this might be holding my healing back too, but i try not to keep going round it in my head. (yoga pose was the plough by the way if anyone knows it).

I will do it soon tho and everyone in the yoga class has been doing it except for me and it's getting silly.

Totally agree with what they guys on the board say about getting on with it and not fearing the pain. For me the fear has gone now, except for the yoga pose above. I can live with my pain as it is but I would like to get it down further as I am only in my early thirties and have probabaly got a few more "incidents" to look forward to.

Tim

Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  20:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fs1epop

Any advice much appreciated

Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000