TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Occipital Neuralgia and TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  14:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone knows if Arnold'S neuralgia (or Occipital neuralgia) could be a form of TMS ?

I havent seen any TMS book mentionning it. I have seen that trigeminal neuralgia is a form of TMS though ...

Thanks in advance for your answers .

P.

Edited by - FlyByNight on 03/23/2007 15:22:25

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  17:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the symptomatic description of "Occipital Neuralgia" it sounds just like another fancy name for TMS. The condition is characterized by chronic pain in the upper neck, back of the head and behind the ears, and these areas corresponds to the locations of the lesser and greater occipital nerves. Once diagnosed by a doctor, occipital neuralgia is generally treated with the use of nerve blocks, peripheral nerve stimulation, steroids, antidepressants, and Occipital Cryoneurolysis (is a procedure used to treat nerve pain). Other less common forms of surgical neurolysis are also used to treat the condition. But like I said, the symptoms correspond a lot with those who have been diagnosed with TMS.

Here is what Dr. Sarno says in chapter 7, page 147, in "Healing Back Pain" under the subtitle: "The Emotions and More Serious Disorders." Please try to keep these words in mind when experiencing new symptoms:

"There are those in medicine who believe that emotions play a role in all aspects of health and illness. I am one of them. [Franz] Alexander suggested doing away with the term psychosomatic medicine since it was redundant - everything medical is influenced in some way be the emotions. I believe that all medical studies are flawed if they do not consider the emotional factor. For example, a research project dealing with the hardening of the arteries usually includes consideration of diet (cholesterol), weight, exercise, genetic factors - but if it does not include emotional factors, the results, in my view are not valid."

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  21:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks shawnsmith

it looks a lot like the 'sciatica' of the neck and head actually... Interestingly, I did not find any info in TMS books about this condition though even if it seems to be a very common source of neck and head pain ...

any other comments from someone else ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000