TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS on the run - need clarification
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  12:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I've been on this board for a couple years now and understand a lot about what we call "TMS on the run". The only thing I need help getting my mind around, is this:
I got rid of most of my back pain 2 years ago when I first found Sarno and this board. Since then I've struggled with wrist stuff and a bout of other TMS symptoms that come and go.
All of a sudden, I'm having new symptoms that I've never had before: TMJ, hand pain in other (good) hand, arm muscles frozen. My question is, obviously something is eating away at me despite my attempts to identify what it is via journaling, etc. Since I am having all these new symptoms, I can only assume it's "TMS on the run" but if as I understand it, "TMS on the run" basicly means you're getting to the root of the larger problem(s) and getting closer to licking TMS. But my symptomalogy is not subsiding, it's getting worse with each week that passes. Can anyone explain to me if I am experiencing "TMS on the run" how come other parts of my body aren't being relieved of the symptoms that have plagued me for like 18 months? Or am I not going through "TMS on the run" but just developing more and more TMS symptoms one after the other that I must overcome? It's hard because I'm trying to get them all dealt with. Thanks.

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  13:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maryalma8

...Can anyone explain to me if I am experiencing "TMS on the run" how come other parts of my body aren't being relieved of the symptoms that have plagued me for like 18 months? Or am I not going through "TMS on the run" but just developing more and more TMS symptoms one after the other that I must overcome? It's hard because I'm trying to get them all dealt with. Thanks.

Hi Maryalma,

You are experiencing "symptom imperative". The TMS spot-light has shown on the gremlin in one bodily crevice. He has now moved to a new home, settling into second and third homes as well...the gremlin really likes your real estate offerings.

If you had the gremlin "on the run", you would not have to be asking the question. You would be jumping for joy because the sheriff had given you the keys back to your body and evicted the Gremlin and run him out of Dodge.

You need to be talking about the emotional and not the symptoms. Do the TMS self-talk, journal, spill your guts on the board, or talk with a therapist. You have gained some insight into TMS but the gremlin is still residing with-in you rent-free. Hit him with Dr. SarnO Brand "Knowledge Penicillin".

Good Luck!
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 03/13/2007 13:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Lizzie

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  04:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Maryalma

I relate to your description of symptoms. Sometimes I think my symptoms are on the run all over different parts of my back butI never achieve pain free however I think TT has a point. I am easily distracted at these times and am not thinking emotional.
Take care.
Lizzie
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  08:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much do you obsess or panic when you feel a new pain coming on? Oh no, here we go again, kind of thinking.....

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  06:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
I do tend to panic when there's a new pain coming on but I am trying to keep it in check.
I guess it's not TMS on the run, it's as TT said, the gremlin is finding great places to hang out in my body.
Much more work to be done...
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  07:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The longer I hang around here the less I fully accept the premise that TMS is something that can be beaten entirely through the work prescribed by Dr. Sarno. That's not to say that in most cases it won't work, but it is to say that I believe that sometimes the conflicts in our lives that find expression in physical symptoms can sometimes require a little "real world" resolution...So for example if a person were to be deeply troubled about the way he was living his life for whatever reason, I don't believe that simple journaling/awareness/thinking psychologically etc is always going to be enough...

I'm only speaking in generalities, but I'm thinking that for those who continue to conscientiously do the prescribed TMS work over a period of year and still find themselves beset by symptoms, this might be worth thinking about...
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  09:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you in part Art. What do you suggest people do at that point?
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  12:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno would not disagree with you on this Art. In fact, there are many examples in his books where people did make changes in their lives when they found the source of their problem was stress or anger brought on as a result of being in a particular situation. When the made the appropriate changes their pain subsided.

One cannot, however, place a specific time limit on recovery times as each person is different.

Sarno-ize it!

Edited by - shawnsmith on 03/16/2007 12:02:09
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  16:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

I agree with you in part Art. What do you suggest people do at that point?

That's a hard one TT and of course dependent on one's personal situation....

Just a random hypothetical to make this less abstract,let's say someone has a job that involves conduct that person feels is unethical and thus feels constantly guilty and shamed thereby, then it would make sense, just from the narrow view of relieving stubborn TMS symptoms to think about getting another job or speaking up to the boss or whatever...

Another example might be a bad marriage that someone doesn't leave because of dependency issues...This is something that can cause a tremendous amount of inner turmoil expressed in physical terms (tms) that no amount of journaling is going to relieve...

I'm forever being impressed by the intelligent and brave people who frequent this forum...These are the very kind of people who might well have the emotional resources to make what are often terribly painful life decisions...In that sense,tms can be looked at as a catalyst for positive change, hence a good thing... an expression of inner wisdom more than just a set of nasty symptoms to somehow be gotten over and then forgotten.

Edited by - art on 03/16/2007 16:06:28
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  23:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great insights Art, I totally agree.Constant exposure to a bad working situation , or the every day strain of a bad relationship would certainly impede healing.
I am reading a book called " The power of your subconscious mind " by DR Joseph Murphy, I don't know if anyone is familiar with his work, however by applying his theories and doing the tms work I am making quite a bit of progress and feel that I am finally on the right track. I do a lot of visualisations , I picture myself strong and healthy , the way I used to be, I talk to my subconscious especially just before sleep, Dr Murphy says this is the best time .
This is the first time I get a cold and do not have to resort to an antibiotic for a latent sinus infection, my partner is still sick from the same infection and I am all better. I am finally hopeful that I can beat this . I do not get on the board often but will let you know of any further progress I should mske at a later date.
I MENTION THE BOOK IN THE HOPE THAT IT MAY HELP SOMEONE WHO MAY BE AS STUCK AS I WAS
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  23:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also stopped doing any research regarding physical causes of fibro, that was a big problem for me, I just refuse to do it now .
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  08:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miche

I also stopped doing any research regarding physical causes of fibro, that was a big problem for me, I just refuse to do it now .

Hey Miche,

Good for you! You've come an awfully long way in a relatively short time. I'll check out that book. I get lazy about visualization etc and will try to do better as I know it's a powerful tool....
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  14:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, I can relate to your feelings about visualization, however in my case my problem stemmed mostly from a lack of imagination , my feet being planted too firmly in the real world, if this makes any sense, this book gave me the tools. I am anxious to hear your views should you read it
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  13:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that visualization can be a powerful tool. As any decent golfer will tell you, imagined reality is likely to become actual reality. This works in both a positive and negative sense...I imagine it's the same in TT's sport as well, although on second thought, since it's a reactive sport in a way that golf isn't, maybe not so much..

In the realm of health however, it's sometimes a struggle for me to do this because it sets up conflict which can lead to anxiety.

Edited by - art on 03/18/2007 13:55:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000