TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hip Replacement Scheduled
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  11:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I "discovered" Sarno back in August 2004 and immediately used his theories to rid myself of back pain and a myriad of other aches and pains. However, it never got rid of my hip pain. Since then, I have gritted through the pain hoping that SOMETHING would kick in and it would go away.

Two weeks ago I went to a Bikram yoga session (hot yoga) and in class knew my hips were getting weaker, but didn't stop. Within an hour, I couldn't walk I was in so much pain. Having had knee surgery last December (fracture) that I'm still recovering from, it was difficult. Thinking I'd ruptured something (from blood thinners), my doc took xrays.

The left hip is bone on bone and needs to be replaced. I have dysplasia where the sockets don't fit the ball of the femur very well, which probably contributed to my early deterioration (I'm 48). I've decided to go ahead with a replacement. Why? Quality of life. Enough with the pain already. It's structural and nothing I do will change that.

But I will use Dr. Sarno's techniques to heal and be well. Tennis Tom, you may disagree with my decision, because I know you have the same hip issues, but I'll report back when I'm done and maybe you'll change your mind. Wouldn't it be great to play tennis with NO pain anymore? From what I know, I won't run anymore but shouldn't be too restricted on other things like biking, hiking, etc.

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  13:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best wishes and best of luck to you. I appreciate your integrity to post here and letting us know what is going on with you. I would never think of dissuading you from having your hip-replacement. It has become fairly routine, and the hip joint lends itself well to being successful.

My situation and feelings are well archived here, but if you wish to discuss it further here, I would be more than happy to do so.

Regards,
tt
Go to Top of Page

sensei adam rostocki

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  14:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom had both done at once years ago (1989) and came through it amazingly well. I was surprised and delighted how fast she healed and how well the artifical hips functioned. My best to you for a speedy recovery. Sensei Adam Rostocki

Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  23:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your action makes sense to me. I'm a big believer in the TMS theory, but there are cases where something is really broken and all the right thinking, rest etc. in the world won't change it. Even Sarno and Sopher say that some hip replacements are legit, and yours sounds like one of those cases. From what I read hip replacements are one of the most successful joint procedures, as far as returning to a normal active life - especially if you were in shape to start with. SO, best of luck.

Weatherman

Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  08:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. I'm nervous, but anxious to get started with a pain-free life.

Keep up with Sarno, it works and my life is richer for it.

I'll keep you posted. My knee is healing nicely, and my doctors were quite amazed how quickly I bounced back, even with complications (blood clots, bone bleed). Little aches and pains that might have thrown someone over the edge, were "Sarno-ized".
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  08:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by weatherman

Even Sarno and Sopher say that some hip replacements are legit, and yours sounds like one of those cases.

Weatherman

Hi Weatherman,

I just ordered Dr. Marc Sopher's book having been very impressed by his chapter in TDM. I was wondering if you have time to research it, if you could give me page citations in Drs. Sarno's and Sopher's books where they reccommend hip-replacements, since that is also a potential avenue for me?

Thanks,
tt
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  11:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Weatherman,

I just ordered Dr. Marc Sopher's book having been very impressed by his chapter in TDM. I was wondering if you have time to research it, if you could give me page citations in Drs. Sarno's and Sopher's books where they reccommend hip-replacements, since that is also a potential avenue for me?

Thanks,
tt

I'd be interested too, just validates my decision I guess. I've also heard that replacing a hip is much easier than a knee, and so far no one I've talked to ever regretted doing it. I'll have to pull out my Sopher book to see what I can find. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  21:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michele.
Long time no speak
I talked to my buddy who was going to get his done soon,just this morning.
He's still on his first hip and he can cycle (quite competitively actually) but he's had it for 20 plus years and he says it's grown uncomfortable..not painful...mostly walking around.His is the old metal version from around 84 before advances in metals and plastics.
The technology in that particular field is amazing and the recovery time is really fast due to better surgical techniques.
I'm sure you'll be up at at 'em in no time.
good luck
-Marc
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  09:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sopher's chapter is merely an abridgement of his book. You don't really need to buy his book if you have read his chapter TDM.

Sarno-ize it!
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  11:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baseball65

Hi Michele.
Long time no speak
I talked to my buddy who was going to get his done soon,just this morning.
He's still on his first hip and he can cycle (quite competitively actually) but he's had it for 20 plus years and he says it's grown uncomfortable..not painful...mostly walking around.His is the old metal version from around 84 before advances in metals and plastics.
The technology in that particular field is amazing and the recovery time is really fast due to better surgical techniques.
I'm sure you'll be up at at 'em in no time.
good luck
-Marc

Hey Marc, good to see you!
My doc does minimally invasive surgery, so I'm going to get my hip and only have a 3-4" cut. Amazing! I've checked him out pretty thoroughly and another doctor I know said he's probably done the most MIS surgeries in the area and said "he's the best". I expect to be doing everything I did before, except maybe running. He actually said he couldn't stop me, but didn't advise it because of wear and tear. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  20:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michele,
First time I've been here in a close to a year and yours is the first post I came to.

I had rejected having the hip replacement for so long that it went into avascular necrosis...the bone died.

I had one done 4/15/06 and the other on 12/19/06. Both without any problem. Home in 4 days. Physical therapy at home and then at a center for a few weeks. No one would ever know unless I told them or they saw the scars.

USE SARNO for your recovery. It goes very fast. Follow the hip surgery guidelines and you'll get better very quickly.

Hello to my old friends Tennis Tom and Baseball. Seeing your post cheers me up so. I came here because I'm doubled over with pain in my lower back and can't stand erect. I know it's stress and I'll be okay real fast. Just this one post and reply did it for me.

Thanks so much.

If there's anything else I can add for you, Michelle, let me know. I'll be around. This be a nice place!

Polly
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  22:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Polly,

I've often wondered how you were doing. You sound very positive and upbeat. I recall you were in a very negative place regarding the docs when we last communicated after your knee, stuff. How's your life been going? I think you wanted to ride a bike on the beach back then, is that in the cards post surgeries?

Glad to hear you are still "Sarnoized". Let us know how things are going.

Cheers and Best Wishes,
tt

Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  07:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Polly! I immediately thought of you when I was told it's time for a replacement. I'm honestly thinking of having them both done, even though the right one still has some cushioning left. I remember you talking about using Sarno for recovery and how well everything went. So far, I haven't heard anybody who said they wished they hadn't done the surgery. Keep in touch!
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  08:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
Thanks for the nice words. I'm doing good. Had a weird thing happen last week. I have a cold I can't shake and my husband found me passed out on the floor. Was taken to the hospital, where I tried to tell them I knew it was from the cold. They insisted I'd had a stroke!

3 days in ICU, 25 thou. in tests and nothing found. What is my reward? A lower back pain to down a horse. I'm doing my Sarno work and that's what brought me back here. Missed you all.

Never wrode my bike on the beach, but I got back into boxing. Triple love it.

How are you? Surgery? Tennis?

Polly
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  08:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michele,
Personally, I wouldn't do both at once. Most orthos with real integrity will not go that route. The healing is quite fast with the new replacements. There is no need to do both. Besides, you may not need the other one done. In my case, the doc said I would probably need the other one but would never do 2 at once. btw, this is the only honest orthopedist I ever met.

Take a Sarno book to the hospital with you. Listen to your body after surgery. I think you'll do great.

I'm here now. Let me know if there's anything else.

Polly
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  09:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Due to the boooming malpractice arena, most doctors will run a lot of tests, playing it safe, so they won't be accused of over-looking something serious and being sued. If you faint in a public place or a business, an ambulance will probably be called and you will be transported to ER. A CAT scan, along with numerous other tests will probably be ordered to make sure you didn't suffer brain damage. If you're a senior, they might dx a TSA (transiet ischemic attack) or "mini-stroke". Maybe you just fainted but to justify all the expense of the ambulance ride and the thousands of dollars of testing it helps to come up with something serious sounding."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Polly,

Amazing, there must be some ESP going on with your visiting the board. I just posted about fainting and strokes a few days ago. It happened to my dad recently also. The magic number is $25,000 per faint. I had a similar experience a few years back when I passed out but in my case there was some legitimacy to it since I had lost half my blood due to OD'ing on Alleves.

All the procedures and testing obsolves the hospital of any liability and also a steady cash stream to pay for all that sophisticated diagnostic equipment sitting around. Personaly I like those chambers they slide you into for scans that most people get claustrophobic in, one of the last refuges for solitude on the planet.

I'm doing good, we're on a little trip down the CA coast, Carmel, Big Sur and all that, settling into a great little spot called Avila Beach (but don't let the word out about it, everyone here is trying to keep it a secret).

'Gonna smack some balls in a little while. Had a "significant depression" a while back when I got overwhelmed by out-side sources and the world caved in on me. The ususal TMS life cycle stuff, my dad gave-up on life and took to bed after his "faint/stroke", had to get him into a new situation, brother was haveing some family issues that were worrying me and lost a Supreme Court case, the ususal TMS reservoir filling stuff, It's all back to normal now and life is good again. Just hanging out at the board trying to keep the TMS info "accurate" having the usual arrows slung at me for being the board meanie/neo-con and slinging them back as well.

No hip-replacement yet, I can routine the club players in doubles for some fun and exercise but getting too fat and indolent for tournament singles. I guess I'll have to find a parntner for doubles who knows how to play the game. I'm highly reccommending running in the pool or deep water running using an AquaJogger belt. I do about half an hour daily.

I better sign-off now, I've been told to keep it brief because I'm boring people. Nice to hear from you Polly, keep-up the good work-- kick-boxing who would have thought a little while ago?

Cheers and best wishes,
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 03/12/2007 09:33:25
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polly

Michele,
Personally, I wouldn't do both at once. Most orthos with real integrity will not go that route. The healing is quite fast with the new replacements. There is no need to do both. Besides, you may not need the other one done. In my case, the doc said I would probably need the other one but would never do 2 at once. btw, this is the only honest orthopedist I ever met.

Take a Sarno book to the hospital with you. Listen to your body after surgery. I think you'll do great.

I'm here now. Let me know if there's anything else.

Polly

Good point. My thinking is that if I have to get it done down the road anyway, why not do it now! My surgeon said I only needed one done now. Just my impatience I guess. He does the minimally invasive surgery and is apparently one of the best in the area - at least that's what other doctors have told me. I have to have alot of pre-op work because of my knee surgery last December. I'm still on blood thinners because I developed blood clots. THAT was no fun!! So now I'm considered "high risk", but I'm still shooting for mid- to late May. I'm so glad to hear how well you're doing!
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  21:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Michele and TT:

As I mentioned earlier both Sarno and Sopher say hip replacement can be legit, here are the passages:

From Sopher's "To Be or Not To Be Pain Free" - page 106 - "I'd like to start by stating that total hip replacement can be a miraculous surgery." He then cautions that x-rays "often" reveal degenerative changes that are not the cause of hip pain. By no means does he say hip replacement is NEVER necessary.

Similarly, Sarno in "Healing Back Pain" - page 113 - starts out discussing osteoarthritis of the hip, saying "This is one of the great triumphs of reconstructive surgery." He then goes on to caution that not all hip pain is caused by degenerative changes. In the next section on chondromalacia, one sentence reads "Unlike what has just been said about hip osteoarthritis, this (chondromalacia) is a disorder that never, in my experience, causes pain." Inferring that the hip changes sometimes DO cause pain.

So there you have it - I don't recall what TDM has to say on the subject. But these are my 2 favorite TMS books, both are to the point and give a good overview of how physical TMS symptoms act. I've also gained more appreciation for Monte Hueftle's book - some of it's a bit ethereal (out there) for me, but he does have some very down-to-earth discussions about the absurdity of TMS symptoms, and how poorly the MD community deals with them.

Weatherman
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  09:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Weatherman! I have gone this long on my hip using Sarno and I would have good days and bad days, but never "excellent" days. I'm confident my quality of life will increase when the surgery is over and I'm recovering.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Weatherman,

Thanks for referencing the citations. I will review them.

Regards,
tt
Go to Top of Page

polly

127 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  20:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
You don't ever have to keep it short for me. You say good things and I've always found your heart to be in the right place.

It is odd about the passing out thing. It seems I was out for about 3hrs. I remember nothing, ambulance, hospital, cat scan, etc. Within 5 mins coming to, I was 100% within. All the tests in he world showed nothing. I kept telling them I have been battling a cold for almost 2 mos. and that's what it was. They told me I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Hah.

This is cute. My twin nephews are visiting. They're Bar Mitzva is in 6 weeks. One of them told his Mom that his back hurt. She went into Mommy Mode Model A. Wanted to take him to the Dr. Poor kid said he couldn't eat. I told her to please ask him what's really bothering him.....

Last night at dinner, while staring into his food, he looked up at her and said "I'm overwhelmed with the Bar Mitzvah". His twin is Mr. Cool. This is the brainiac over thinker. My sis in law told him that's why we're on vacation...to let it go for now and just relax. He thought about it, smiled and tore into his dinner. He then told her that his back stopped hurting.

TMS is for all ages.

Stay well and busy.

Polly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000