TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS and Shortness of Breath ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  08:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All
Can anyone comment if they've ever experienced (or know someone who has) shortness of breath symptoms with increased pulse, increased blood pressure - when both the heart and the lungs have been thoroughly tested as working well and no infections. The only findings thus far is reduced levels of oxygenation measured in his blood.....(I'm suspicious of a psycogenic issue)
Tks
Bliss

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  09:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bliss

Hello All
Can anyone comment if they've ever experienced (or know someone who has) shortness of breath symptoms with increased pulse, increased blood pressure - when both the heart and the lungs have been thoroughly tested as working well and no infections. The only findings thus far is reduced levels of oxygenation measured in his blood.....(I'm suspicious of a psycogenic issue)
Tks
Bliss

Sure, I have, (has anyone not?). It certainly could be a TMS manifestation. In it's mild form it may just be nervousness. In an extreme form it may exhibit as an anxiety attack sending one to ER fearing a heart-attack. Everything checks out normal, you go home relieved and have another ten years later having forgotten what it felt like from before. One of the most common causes of ER room visits by the way.

Check out Chapter Five in THE DIVIDED MIND: "Hypertension and the Mindbody Connection: A New Paradigm" for more info.
Go to Top of Page

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, no, his symptoms don't present quite like anxiety attack (I've experienced one so I believe his issue is different)...it's more angina-like....cannot walk more than 1/2 a block without puffing (BTW,was never a smoker, never asthma).

He has had rt hip pain for years and is facing surgery - although I think he is fearful of same. The breathing issue started not long after his MD told him it was time for hip surgery. What tipped me off to possible TMS is that the longstanding hip pain went away (first time ever) for a short period right after he had (emergency) prostrate surgery this fall - you know, when he would have been sufficiently distracted with post surgical and at-home recovery.

Gotta wonder....perhaps this SOB issue could be anxiety in the very highest degree though...past the point of panic attacks. Moreover, he's lost two sisters lately - one to heart disease, one to respiratory disease of unknown etiolgy....another clue?

He is very dear to me so I do hope it is TMS (which equals hope) - and that he could embrace the diagnosis. There are two medical tests left for him to do and so there's little point of suggesting TMS right now. I just have this hunch, though, that my instincts could be correct.
Bliss
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly could be TMS given all the life-cycle issues he has been hit with of late. I assume he is of middle-age and also facing his own mortality issues.

Generaly, I would guess-timate that 80% of what ails folks in the waiting room is TMS related. But, if your issue is in that 20% that is a legitimate structural matter, you defintiely want it accurately dx'ed and treated by conventional allopathic medicine means.

The hip is MY structural territory. I have a tennis acquaintance who was scheduled for a replacement. The night before his surgery the surgeon died. The doctor who took over reviewed his case and pronounced that he DID NOT need hip-replacement! I see him playing tennis daily and running in the pool.

I have been putting-off a hip-repalcement FOR seven years now, (to the irritation of my acqauiantances who have had them). I figure I can't damage the joint much more, they will just lop off the head of the femur and scrape out the acetabulum, so there will be less work for them and maybe i'll be given a discount.

I like that SOB acronym, that's what it is alright--TMS-SOB. When I get out of breath on the court, I will tell them I have SOB-and they will tell me "You sure are one". As for your friend being receptive to TMS, all you can do is try. If he doesn't want surgery right now and is open-minded, he might be receptive.

Good Luck,
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 02/27/2007 09:12:54
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  12:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know about your friend, but I have shortness of breath which is probably TMS. It seems to have been one of my many, many migrating fibro symptoms, most of which are better now. But the shortness of breath thing is still coming around.

It seems to "come from" a spasm in my diaphragm which I used to think was a hiatal hernia.
Blah blah - amazing how much of my attention used to be taken up with trying to figure out all my symptoms. I would google a symptom and find some new doctor or unknown cure or $100 secret I could send off for...

anyone resemble this remark?

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  13:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi TT and Wavy
Tks to both of you.

He is about 70yrs old and always enjoyed good health up till now.
TT, that is so cool about your friend who just about had hip surgery...the doctor dying did him a big favor - eeks, sad to say!
And, oh TT...you just tell them friends of yours who think you are indeed an SOB - that it means "sweet 'ole boy" har har
Bliss

Go to Top of Page

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  04:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on my relative:
He was diagnosed last night with multiple pulmonary clots....so no TMS.
Started on anti-coagulants...etc.
Hopeful for good recovery now. Tks!
Bliss
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000