TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS for sacroiliac joint dysfunction?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  02:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I figured out my problem today. I believe I have "sacroiliac joint dysfunction". My chiropractor did not give me a name for it, but the right side of my sacro (where the pain is) has very little movement compared to the left side. Also radiates pain into my buttock and sciatica symptoms into my foot. When the chiro loosens this up, I feel good temporarily, then it "locks up" again and feels like my right leg is shorter than my left. This has been going on since last August and seem to be getting progressively worse no matter what I do. Could this be TMS? Aparently there is inflammation in the joint. I don't have that confirmed, but I have a strong feeling that is the case since it stays so sore. I'm just hoping someone here has dealt with this and recovered from it. Here is a link with quite a bit of info on it:

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/sjd/sjd01.html

I am thinking of ordering the book "The Secret Cause of Low Back Pain; How to End Your Suffering" by Vicki Sims, PT, CHT and David Mesnick, PT, cMDT shown at the link below:

http://www.sidysfunction.com/booksdvdsresearch.html

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Ken

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  06:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Could this be TMS? "
--------------------------------------------------

YES! Woodchuck it very well could be TMS. You may have taken a wrong turn on the internet. This is the TMS board. Are you sure that is where you intended to be? We speak psych-talk here (sometimes) and try to avoid discussion of the anatomy.

My advice, save your money and cancel the book on "low back pain secrets", Order THE DIVIDED MIND by Dr. John E Sarno, MD. instead. You will get more bang for your buck out of it.

Sarno will give you the secret to "curing" many more pains than just one.

While we're talking "secrets' let me reveal one myself. I attended a three day yoga seminar by Georg Feurstein entitled "Yoga Secrets". Well, to make a long story short, towards the end of the last day someone asked when he would be revealing the "secrets"? None had been revealed up to then. So he said, "Ok, here's a yoga secret:

" How do you know which side of the bed to get out on in the morning? The answer: You check the breathing through your nostrils and get out of bed on the side with the nostril that is the most open."

I like secrets that are easy to perform and can be done on a daily basis.

Well Woodchuck, I don't think that is very relevant to your post but that's what happens to you if you spend enough time here and makes about as much sense as the origins of TMS pain.

From a TMS perspective, tell us what you are feeling?

Cheers,
tt
From "bitterly cold" Beckley, West Virginia

Edited by - tennis tom on 02/05/2007 07:04:42
Go to Top of Page

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  08:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone - and to Woodchuck
I am new to the posting and 3 wks new to TMS and doing very well now since learning about TMS and DR. Sarno.
I experienced same symptoms, same Chiro experiences for years as Woodchuck (SI joint but my left side) and have greatly benefited by Sarno's books. I agree with Tom that the Divided Mind is excellent (I am reading it now) but I read Sarno's "Healing Back Pain - The Mind-Body Connection" first and I found it laid the groundwork very well - an easy read; easy to understand when you want info quickly.

Cheers from chilly Ottawa....minus 24 Celcius (feels like minus 37 with the windchill, however!)
Go to Top of Page

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  11:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks tt and Bliss!

Bliss, that's exactly what I was looking for. I was quite sure that someone on the forum had been diagnosed with these same SIJD symptoms I have. Just needed to relate for a little psychological boost ;)

I'm going to try to find a copy of THE DIVIDED MIND today. I've read HEALING BACK PAIN and THE MINDBODY PRESCRIPTION and am now re-reading HEALING BACK PAIN again.

Cheers from Pasadena, CA (supposed to reach 83 deg F today :)
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also diagnosed with sacroilliac dysfunction (among many other things). I had a lot of chiro treatments, Physical therapy and even wore this contraption around my hips that was supposed to keep my hip from going out of joint. IT IS TMS. I'm fine now though I did just have another bout of my hip/low back feeling unstable that went away like magic when my newest symptom- dry eyes- popped up. Forget about the low back pain book- read Sarno's books, start journaling and it will go away. You will be amazed.
Go to Top of Page

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  15:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very encouraging Carolyn! In fact, today has been a relatively pain-free day for me since I have dropped the idea that it is physical. I've ridden my motorcycle about 30 miles and did my laundry and feel great! Now, on the otherhand, yesterday was hellish with foot sciatica all day long! I was depressed as hell over this last night and slept restlessly.

Btw, called and cancelled my order for that SIJ book I ordered in a panic last night ;)

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  19:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolyn,

Just curious how long you have been applying Dr Sarno's principles to your Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction? Did the symptoms finally completely go away, then you've had a couple of setbacks? Have you returned to pretty much all of your daily activities or are there some activities you avoid? I got delayed for a couple of days, but am now reading TDM and will have to start journaling. My pain is mostly a dull ache in the right sacroiliac and refered pain in my right foot. Kind of comes and goes. There are a couple of stretching activities I have continued to do which give temporary relief and when I come to work, I take ibuprofen. I suppose I need to stop ALL things along that line and just go for it? In HBP Dr Sarno says it is important to resume all activites, even strenuous ones. In TDM, he seems to temper that a bit to kind of work toward going back to full activities, after being convinced your situation is TMS. So, for awhile, I feel like I should be a little careful at least.

Thanks for any feedback. Bliss, I would also like to know how you are doing if you happen to read this.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  01:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Woodchuck / All - I'm posting this from my wife's account hereon TMS shelp till I get mine unlocked (got a temporary problem with my email)

ok, so I have pretty well the same thing as you, as described by my physio and osteopaths I've been to. Both of these treatments have given me temporary release from pain but it comes back. Take a look at the the other similarities between our issues here (http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3077). But anyway, I've had some pretty good proof thus far that the issue is TMS, and am gonna keep trying the TMS angle for a good while longer, hopefully it will work out for both of us! cheers

Edited by - DitaH on 02/10/2007 02:49:46
Go to Top of Page

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  06:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken
I'm 42yrs old but I've had back issues/other since age 17. One of the things that really convinced me about my having TMS is that, when I looked back from age 17-42, it FINALLY made sense why I seemed to have so many "injuries" compared to my peers over the simplest of activities. It was TMS! I just used to think that my body was weak or something. I have a background in nursing - you'd think I would have caught on but, of course, when you know better, you DO better (statement by: Maya Angelou = Oprah's good friend).
I'm so grateful that I stumbled upon Sarno's books.

My SI problems began approx June 2005 - immediately after I moved a heavy object...I had no knowledge of TMS so I did physio, chiro and about 6m later it seemed ok again. I got back to exercising and was ok till this past summer.

Looking back I had had to give up going back to school mid-year (cause of back pain which, at the time, I had attributed to constant sitting)...sure was pissed off about that (and embarrased). Then felt crummy for about a year after that beating myself up for having sold our family's home to finance University costs, and with real estate prices having risen so high, we found we could not get back into a house - now stuck in a tiny condo.

Then this past summer my 81yr old mother was in a car accident. We gladly took her into our home to care for her physical needs for the recuperation period - but it proved disasterous for me mentally. I had "forgotten" how controlling her personality was - and as a child in an alcoholic home, I learned to stuff my feelings and just do as I was told to survive - but now no longer the child, I had learned through the years to speak up for myself. However, I could not do it with her (how could you confront an old woman who just nearly died, right?) I'm sure I was internally enraged by that point and my SI area was just SCREAMING in agony....which, at the time, I thought it was due to caring for my mom physically.

After she was better and moved back to her home, I was a mess. Had an MRI in December which showed L5-SI disc protrusion, nerve impingement and some degeneration - which to me just "proved" what my trouble was finally....which led to a huge depression...went on leave from my job - November, December, January without pay!

Blessedly found the Sarno book on the evening of January 16th in our library. I nearly dismissed it...the book that is, cause I had ordered something else entirely! Fate? My SI pain, which had plagued me since 2005 literally melted away in approx 2.5 days since reading HBP. Whoa, education was so key!

In 3 days, the symptom imperative began but I was ready for it. It went to every friggin "injury" I had ever had over the years...just doing the big tour! Once I laughed my way through all of those sites, it settled back into the SI area and some doubt set in.

I fight the doubt now by pushing my limits (strenuous exercise or go do things I thought I would never do again...like cleaning out the basement, extended shopping - whatever) and little by little it leaves now for longer and longer periods. Journaling is important for me now (I thought that was a useless thing to do) but somehow it allows for breakthroughs - things come out that I didn't know was tucked away. Words/phrases like, "trapped, scared, jealous, tired, someone laughing at me..." and I have to sit with that and go, "hmmm..where did THAT come from?"

There are times I get ticked off with the SI pain and I go walking and literally tell it to F-off...that I am in charge of my body and my life and that I'm not afraid now to deal with the mental crap that has built up. It works for me. Anyone walking by me who hears my ranting must think I'm nuts - ha ha! Oh well!

As of Feb 10th, nearly a month after discovering Sarno, I can do anything I want up to about 90% of what I used to do. The other 10%, I tell myself, WILL come when my mind is good and ready. I allow myself time...after all, this has been YEARS in the making - it isn't unreasonable to me for it to take a few months to reverse the process, right? Actually a few months is nuthin' when you think about it!

Yikes, I wrote lots - hope it helps! Be good to yourself!
Bliss

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  07:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bliss,

That's a beautiful "successstory"! WOW!. There was a post here a little while ago by Monte, which said that reading the books was not enough to "heal" from TMS. It suggested that you needed something more. I asked him what that more was and I have yet to have an answer.

Your post is a perfect example, of a perfect understanding, of the Good Doctor's concept of TMS. Some people may need more help from a TMS therapist to guide them. But many will be able to do it on their own, as you have demonstrated so well. I would imagine that, being in the medical establishment, it makes it even more difficult to practice such a contrarian method to conventional medicine.

Your post is so well written it deserves to be published in the Wall Street Journal or maybe you could go on Oprah and tell your story.

As Dr. Sopher says in THE DIVIDED MIND, it's time to CELEBRATE!

Cheers to You,
tt
from Ottawa, Kansas
Go to Top of Page

Woodchuck

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  11:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks DitaH, Bliss and tt...

Wow Bliss, that IS quite an amazingly encouraging example you are living! Thanks so much for sharing that. It helped me a lot!

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  13:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My supposed sacroilliac dysfunction sort of evolved from my pelvic floor pain. I used to have trouble walking becasue my hips just felt so darn unstable. The doctors convinced me this might have been the root cause of all my pelvic pain but the more therapy I did, the worse and worse and worse I got. I discovered Sarno about 3 years ago I think and pretty much right away I knew he was right and this applied to me. I can't remember exactly how long it took to get better but I feel like it was pretty quick for this one symptom. Then my symptoms sort of did the 'tour' as Bliss said. All of a sudden my knee hurt, then my wrist, then back to my back. But since others were here to support me and tell me this was what happened with TMS, it strenghtened my belief.
I no longer consider myself as someone with ANY limitations. I don't think about it at ALL. It does pop up occassionally- like the recent bout I had but I KNOW it won't last and it doesn't. It is annoying but does not cause me fear or despair. My low back had felt like it was sliding around (lots of cracking down there) and that unstable feeling and then boom one day I woke up with these awful dry eyes and the SI pain was just gone. It has not come back. Now a physical problem just doesn't react that way. Period. It also has given me a high index of suspicion about the dry eyes.
Give it a 100% try as TMS for a while- get out and excercise, journal etc. You can't hurt yourself and you will probably be amazed at what happens just like so many people here.
Go to Top of Page

Bliss

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  13:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tks for the compliments Tom and Ken :-) Awesome.

Trouble with my working in the medical field? You betcha. Although I do not nurse anymore (gave it up years ago cause thought I had a "bad back" - too bad,eh?) I do work as a medical clerk in a clinical setting. Just now getting back to work - this week. All going great! I've decided that if it is appropriate that I mention the Sarno books, (to docs or patients) then I will, if not, then no. Just going to listen to my inner guts on that. I think if it is meant to be, it will be a natural thing. Otherwise, I choose not to overinvest myself and have others plant doubt in me or challenge me. Like Sarno said, there's no use pushing something on someone when they are not ready.

Sure, I'll send the (other) post to Oprah...what the hell, eh?!!
Cheers!
P.S. Today I raced my 11yr old (ran full out ..spur of the moment) in the store parking lot!! Exhilarating! Ken, do ONE thing today that you were always super-sure you could not...just one thing! As you do it, keep saying over and over, "KISS MY ARSE, TMS !!!"
Go to Top of Page

DitaH

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  04:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah nice one bliss

It really is bliss when you realise what is going on, the pain goes when you banish the worry. I'm SURE my problem is TMS now after getting back into the swing of things here in london (after my hols) and again noting that the pain comes when I'm stressed, keeping up my angry list (writing down what p***** me off) and journalling.. remembering that the pain is psychogenic, it is being created by a stoopid process in my unconscious, then it goes away :-)

hopefully soon it will be banished for good...
Go to Top of Page

healingback

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  03:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi carolyn,

i aw your post and im currently going through the same thing as you did, im guessing when you said you had to wear a belt around your pelvis you meant an si joint belt ?! so im guessing you also had a loose si joint ? im currently undergoing something called prolotherapy which basically injections the ligaments and tightens up the area....

ive reached about 65% but i do believe the rest is tms...

any info or advice you could give me would be great
Go to Top of Page

Dexy

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  15:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to everyone!

This is a long shot since this is a really old thread, but I am not too sure yet how this forum works as this is my first post. Perhaps some of you are still around--if so, I would love to hear how this worked out for you.

I am dealing with "SI joint dysfunction/pelvic instability" that began at 11weeks pregnant and is present at 7 months post partum, even though in all of reading during pregnancy it should go away after the baby is born. So I am in the "rare" percentage of women for whom this lingers longer, and after reading Sarno, it makes sense to me.

However, I still cannot seem to accept this diagnosis (self-dx, although my doctor pointed me towards Sarno, after noting different issues in my life that always seem to crop up.

No SI belt, Coreshorts, custom orthotics, physiotherapy, exercises, chiropractic, or massage has helped. I have had an x-ray which was normal and just had a CT scan this morning.

I am really trying to embrace repudiating the physical aspect, yet I still have the fear that it is structural.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or an opinion on whether this is TMS?

I have a history of overexercising and had an eating disorder for over a decade, which led to fertility problems, and when I finally fell pregnant (my desperate dream for so long), this SI pain happened and has become my new focus/obsession and has no left. It sounds like TMS when I put it like that but it feels so very physical and I have been "diagnosed" with this pregnancy-related condition.

I do think perhaps pregnancy brought it on but the fact that it has become chronic leads me to believe it is TMS.

I am so happy to be a part of this forum!

Blessings and wellness to all.

7 months post partum with SI joint pain/pelvic laxity which began over a year ago. Looking for any similar stories and hope! Desperate :)
Go to Top of Page

healingback

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  07:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dexy,

I too had si joint issues... i was disabled, i had prolotherapy to tighten my ligaments, but that only got me 40% better.. for me it was tms.... but you have to believe completely and test the pain,, take it on... if you have anymore questions then i will try and help.

This to shall pass....
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  11:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dexy

So I am in the "rare" percentage of women for whom this lingers longer, and after reading Sarno, it makes sense to me.

... (self-dx, although my doctor pointed me towards Sarno, after noting different issues in my life that always seem to crop up.

...I have had an x-ray which was normal and just had a CT scan this morning.

I am really trying to embrace repudiating the physical aspect, yet I still have the fear that it is structural.

...Does anyone have any experience with this, or an opinion on whether this is TMS?

...It sounds like TMS when I put it like that but it feels so very physical and I have been "diagnosed" with this pregnancy-related condition.

...I do think perhaps pregnancy brought it on but the fact that it has become chronic leads me to believe it is TMS.

7 months post partum with SI joint pain/pelvic laxity which began over a year ago. Looking for any similar stories and hope! Desperate :)

Well you sure fell through the forum cracks, hopefully you're CT scan came back inconclusive or the radiologist may have discovered some normal anomaly and sent you to surgery or PT. This is the TMS Forum so it sounds like TMS--but I'm only a tennis player so don't sue, I've been warned I should keep my mouth shut so as not to commit tennis malpractice and have my balls taken away by the courts.

You sure sound like a TMS'er if you're a part of the human condition, which most of the Westernized planet is. Your doc who mentioned Sarno to you did you a favor and is enlightened. You could mention him here and he may be helpful to others in your region since TMS MD's are few and far between. If you insist on being treated for physical symptoms he will probably oblige you because he understands that's what the vast majority of his patients want, allopathic structurally based treatments. He's given you a DX, he apparently couldn't find anything structural or he would have been treating you for it. That DX and reading Sarno should do it for you, but it hasn't. If you keep having tests done and more imaging, chances are good they will eventually find something to hang a structural cause onto.

Your condition is not that rare, I'm just reading the chapter in SteveO where he discusses pregnancy and post partum depression, I think it's around chapter 10 or so. You can join in on Tuesday night 9;00pm Eastern at the TMS Wiki phone conference to discuss your condition. See here for announcements of how to dial in or go to the TMS Wiki.

It does feel "real" and is excruciatingly painful, BECAUSE it is REAL pain. But if it's TMS, it's caused by minute oxygen deprivation, benign, harmless, but nonetheless very painful. It's a psychological defense mechanism, a PROTECTOR from feeling emotional pain that your subconscious mind decides for you that it thinks you can't handle. The TMS protocol is to switch your thinking to the psychological away from the structural and work it out mentally/emotionally/psychologically--you take back conscious control of your MINDBODYSPIRIT destiny, away from the subconsciously induced pain distractor.

Well G'luck if you're still around and they haven't cut you or wasting a lot of money on quackery giving you temporary placebo relief.

tt

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000