TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Success on second go around?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've check in on the forum on occasion but it's been awhile since I've posted (and that's not a lot).

Last year about this time, I discovered Sarno and TMS and it saved my life. I was slowly becoming an invalid. What had started out as a shoulder injury turned into a body-wide disaster with my hamstrings in pain, my other shoulder and even carpal-tunnel. Over the course of a few months I became pain free, it was amazing. I began to hit the gym again (and to anyone out there who still has some fear of activity) I was hitting 200+ on the bench press when I couldn't hold up a stapler 3 months prior.

But...

I seem to have had a slip and a major one. Ever since I got "over" TMS, I've had minor flare-ups, some pain in various body-sites (usually a new one that I hadn't experienced previously) but nothing sever and it usually corrected itself in a few days or a week with some journaling and book-diving.

It's been about a two months since I've even had one of those but three days ago my shoulder started acting up and it was bad. An 8 on a scale of 1-10. I was working out and it was fine but then hours later the pain came on (this pain is reminiscent of the earliest pain I had in my shoulder before I discovered TMS).

I'm pretty sure this is TMS but I have doubts... maybe because I've gone the longest I've gone without even thinking about TMS so it seems a little foreign to me, maybe because the pain is so bad...

I was just looking for info/encouragement of people who've had bad flare-ups after their initial success and who've overcome them. Any info is appreciated.

turtle23

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  20:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any words of wisdom, but I can relate. It has been a while since I have been on the forum as well, and I am here because I am in the middle of a flare-up. Like you, I am concerned that it isn't TMS and that there is really an injury. I have NO reason to think this however, which is why I am here. I don't want to go back down the doctor to doctor road. I am done with it, but my mind isn't letting me accept the TMS as a reason for my current pain...

I hope you can move through this flare-up stronger and more confident than before.

Turtle
Go to Top of Page

ReferFire

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  21:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a complete recovery from TMS, which caused me to think of all kinds of pain differently. I had a seriously bad case of TMS, where I basically completely stopped using my hands (i was diagnosed with tendonitis and carpal tunnel from typing too much). I have felt some minor tingling, but have become overwhelmingly convinced that my hands suffered from a psychosomatic condition. About a week ago i worked on my computer for about 18 hours straight, and developed a real pain in the upper part of my back. It was the kind of pain that i associate with TMS - a sharp pain that comes on fairly suddenly. i think of this pain differently from soreness, which develops more gradually. This pain in my back was really harsh though. But, i was convinced it was simply my mind acting up. I laid on the floor and relaxed a little, and it subsided somewhat. After about 15 minutes it was largely over. Later in the evening (i put in a seriously long day - and worked well after i had put in 18 hours on my computer) it basically went away. The next day, it was completely gone. I really hope you think critically of your pain, because that is how I think you can get over it. My upper back pain was clearly psychosomatic because, even if you sit in a chair 18 hours straight, you don't just immediately get pain. If you really are sore, it will develop over time and you'll feel it gradually come upon you. The fact that the pain went away so soon further proved it was psychosomatic, because my body doesn't heal from excruciating pain right away if there really is something seriously wrong. I hope you go through the same critical process with your pain. Because, i don't believe your subconscious mind (which causes the pain) is smart enough to outwit an aggressive critical thinker. Your pain will subside at times, and then you must ask youself - hey why did it subside if i was just in such pain? if there is really something constantly wrong with you, then you must feel constant pain at all times. in my experience with TMS, and in talking with other people, i've found the pain comes and goes. if you have a permanently bad physical condition, the pain shouldn't come an go, in my opinion. hence, i'm a complete believer in TMS and using your mind to overcome your pain. all the best, ReferFire

I overcame TMS and, while I'm seriously smart and special, I'm not that smart & special. You too can overcome it.
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  12:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I'm 100% convinced it's TMS now and just getting back to doing the work/journaling that I haven't done for awhile. I've made some inroads and think it'll just take some time here.

Interesting note, in the last few months, I've been taking minox and propecia for hair loss and my hair has been looking better recently. I got a haircut which had the hair looking as good as it has in awhile the weekend before the pain started. Up until then, I had been obsessing about my hair loss which - in it's own way - I think was an equivalent for the pain as a distraction.
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  10:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

I'm 85% back from massive flare-up of TMS.

Oddly enough, I think a big contributing factor was a fear of getting a flare-up again and anger at having it.

On this go around, my shoulder seized-up and was in massive pain and then sharp burning pain in my adductor muscle.

Well, last night I went to gym and did power cleans and squats.

No problems.

The only pain I feel now is actually when I'm still and not active and that's diminishing by the day (and moving around wickedly - my molars hurt the other day).

When I feel well, I'm generally gone from this board. I imagine a lot of other people are like that so it might seem like people aren't having great results. I just wanted to make sure I revisted to help provide confidence to the people out there.

Can I say success story?

P.S. FWIW - this flareup may have felt as severe at times as my initial disability but the process of clearing up was cut in 1/4.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  14:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
in the last few months, I've been taking minox and propecia for hair loss and my hair has been looking better recently. I got a haircut which had the hair looking as good as it has in awhile the weekend before the pain started. Up until then, I had been obsessing about my hair loss which - in it's own way - I think was an equivalent for the pain as a distraction.

This is just brilliant! It goes along with my growing suspicion that almost every human obsession is a TMS equivalent. I can certainly relate to the appearance thing.

last night I was sitting with some women and one said that she had gotten into obsessing about whether this guy she had one date with was going to call again.

Then she said that she realized that this was now occupying about 95% of her attention, and she was seeing how this was a way she was distracting herself from some inner pain she had been feeling.

Bingo!

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westcoastram

...When I feel well, I'm generally gone from this board. I imagine a lot of other people are like that so it might seem like people aren't having great results. I just wanted to make sure I revisted to help provide confidence to the people out there...

...P.S. FWIW - this flareup may have felt as severe at times as my initial disability but the process of clearing up was cut in 1/4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratualtions on your successstory and thanks for reporting back. We did have a little disucussion here recently regarding members leaving the board because they didn't get results. Notch one up for Dr. Sarno's TMS theory.

And that's a good point you make about "cureing" flareups quicker with TMS practice.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000