TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Achilles tendon tendonitis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  08:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could the pain from Achilles tendon tendonitis be TMS pain?

Allan.

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  12:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Allan, If you do a search on this site for Achilled Tendinitis you'll find hundreds of posts that are quite interesting. I've had to settle so far with not entirely knowing about mine, but some people have had great success on theirs with TMS methodologies. But a lot of discussions have already taken place which is why you may not get a lot of answers. I really had to dig.

Note the two spellings of this word (Tendonitis/tendinitis)...not sure what type of search engine they're running.

Edited by - alexis on 01/15/2007 12:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  17:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexis

Thanks for your comments.

I will do a search and check out the postings.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  08:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan - You have my sympathy, achilles tendinitis is about the biggest pain in the ass ever invented. Unlike many other aches and pains, you really can't work around or favor it - the achilles is involved in any physical activity.

To answer your question - it CAN be TMS. I've had several flareups that were definitely TMS as I pushed through them and everything turned out fine. However, I'm just starting to get past a bad pariod that began in October, when I slightly "pulled" it mountain biking up a steep hill. I treated it as TMS initially, but pushing through just seemed to make it worse. So I gritted my teeth and rested for 6 weeks, doing nothing except a daily 3 mile walk. About 2 weeks ago I started working back into things - so far OK, there's some slight discomfort that seems to be slowly decreasing over time.

The million dollar question is, did I have a real injury to begin with, and I'll never know the answer for sure. What makes achilles problems so awful is that ruptures do happen, and they are often preceded by a period of increasing pain - and recovery from one is the most miserable thing imaginable. Whereas, what's the worst that can happen if you push through a sore back? You have a sore back. (I've been there also).

A reasonable question would be, do you associate the pain with a sudden physical event, or did it come on for no apparent reason? If there was no event, I would be more confident treating it as TMS. If there was a sudden pull, you may consider resting it for a period so you give any real injury a chance to heal. Then the challenge becomes maintaining your sanity during the 6 weeks of rest.

Weatherman

Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  11:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weatherman.

Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated.

There was no sudden event that I know of.

I tried pushing through it and the pain always got worse. I tried resting it and it improved immediately. I have had it now for over three months.

When the pain was the worse, the area had swelled considerably. The swelling is now almost gone. I wonder if swelling is a sign that it is not TMS pain or if it is just TMS's impact on the immune system.

Your comments helped a lot.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  23:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan

Interesting that you mention swelling, maybe you had something for real in the beginning. In the 3 major achilles episodes I've had, there was never any swelling or even redness to speak of. Doctors aren't much good with something like this, they'll diagnose "tendinitis" based on your perception of pain alone - even with no objective symptoms. It hurts, therefore it's inflammation etc. So I'm always suspicious as to whether it's real. But like I said, the downside to tearing one is such that there's some justifiable fear about just pushing through a pain. It's a real catch-22; if it is TMS, what an effective place for symptoms!

Weatherman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000