TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 please advise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neal282

1 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  14:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This my 1st post. I have been doing data entry work for the past 5 yrs. After 2.5 yrs of 15 hrs/week, I started experiencing moderate wrist & lower arm pain. I started seeing a very good massage therapist & after a few sessions, my pain was reduced about 70%. I then started seeing him about once/3 months while also doing self massage. I continued to have some residual pain. I stumbled across an rsi group that claimed to have a high success rate using mind/body techniques & learned about tms. I read a couple of Dr. Sarno's books & my pain level was reduced to less than 10%. 6 weeks ago, I increased my work to 20 hrs/week & experienced my pain level go up to 20%. Is there an adjustment I can make using tms techniques to reduce my pain? Although I know that stopping physical remedies is part of the tms method, I'm tempted to go back for a message session. Is there a way to incorporate massage in my treatment without losing the benefits of the tms method? Thanks for any feedback.

MikeJ

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  14:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If incorporating massage will reinforce your beliefs that it's a physical problem, then I would say it's counterproductive.

Here are a few interesting threads on RSI, some of them are dealing with this issue.
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2526&SearchTerms=rsi
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2729&SearchTerms=rsi
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2426&SearchTerms=rsi
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  15:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" Is there an adjustment I can make using tms techniques to reduce my pain? Although I know that stopping physical remedies is part of the tms method, I'm tempted to go back for a message session. Is there a way to incorporate massage in my treatment without losing the benefits of the tms method? Thanks for any feedback."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome Neal,

Simply put the answer is NO. TMS work and physical modalities are mutualy exclusive. If your symptom is caused by psychosomatic TMS reasons, then the "cure" is to think about the emotional pressures that are causing it.

Repressed anger is what causes TMS pain symptoms. Think about what is going on in your life, at work, at home, within realtionships, that are making you angry internaly but you cannot exhibit openly.

This assumes you have TMS. More than likely, if you have read Sarno's books and you are here, that is what it is.

Massages are nice, I have had hundreds of them. They are relaxing and soothing--but then you leave the parking lot and you are right back into the pressure creating traffic of the human condition. I think of massages more as a reward I give my body for working hard, and some stress relief for my mind in a quiet place, but not as physical therapy to fix anything.

Dr. Sarno cites that people typed with manual typewriters for nearly a century and there was no epedemic of RSI back then.

Good Luck and Hope that helps,
tt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000