TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Gift from Santa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  16:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a person who has been pain free for almost 20 years, after lying on the floor for weeks at a time. After having numb feet, and a paralyzed ankle. After having sciatica so bad I wouldn't drink water and became dehydrated, for fear of having to walk to the bathroom.

After being told by doctors that I needed surgery, and by chiropractors that I would be sorry if i stopped coming.

I am a Sarno purist. I do not read any other self help books, or listen to any motavational tapes or articles. Just John Sarno, and yes, psychotherapy to see who I am. To see what was really bothering me.

And as far as I am concerned, the greatest gift Santa can bring you, is the insight to read the book, and stop trying to get around the fact that you will have to admit to the anger we all have inside, and maybe hatred toward a parent, or husband, maybe get some therapy to find out what it is about, and just say that having anger is ok...it is what you do with it that hurts you. Yes I do hate my kids and husband at times, yes I do love them!

Just read sarno, see a shrink, and stop reading and rereading these boards so much. It just keeps you obsessing on pain. Not on stopping it.

Merry Christmas!

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  19:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

X 2 Sandy

MERRY CHRISTMAS

tt
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  20:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the bottom line. Now we should brainstorm about a way of selftreatment so that it takes just one christmas to get better!

By the way, being an internet junkie and knowing many forums, I should mention that this forum has the most female members ever in (my personal) history. Why is that?

I'm Redsandro, and I'll see you next time here on TMShelp.com.

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  21:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quoteing RedS:

"By the way, being an internet junkie and knowing many forums, I should mention that this forum has the most female members ever in (my personal) history. Why is that?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Because Sarno is sexy.
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  03:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He does have a cool pair of glasses, but I only know him from the pic on TDM..

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  06:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well I ment this as a serious topic, but I have met Sarno, and he is NOT sexy. actually, I think he is a rather strange man.

But my point is that too many of you are still looking for other things as a cure! Even if you believe Dr Sarno, you are still reading a million other ideas that will muddle you all up!

anyway, thanks for remembering me, tennis tom!
Merry merry to you too...and everyone else!
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  08:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SSJS,

I am sorry, but your posting was more like a lump of coal than a gift from Santa Claus. The reason being is that you assume that your path is everyone else's also, and that is not fair. In addition, when one says they recovered quickly you must know what kind of impact that statement has those who do not recover quickly. Doubts, fear and anger begin to enter their minds and they being to question the whole diagnosis. "Since I am not recovering quickly, even though I have done the work, maybe I don't have TMS."

Dr. Sarno and Dr. Sopher clearly state that for reasons unknown to them recovery times vary greatly. Some on this board have had TMS for years and have had little or no success up until and telling them about quick recoveries can be really discouraging. It has nothing to do with them not understanding the concepts or not doing the required work as recommended by Dr. Sarno. You must realize the the intensity of some people's problem may be much greater than yours and that is one of the reasons that you recovered more quickly.

So I am returning your lump of coal and saying thanks but no thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  09:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn,
I never said that I recovered quickly! Where did you read that? I have reread my message and that was not part of it at all! You are reading things into my message that I never said! They are coming from you!

It took a few years till I finally realized that it was time to go to therapy and really listen to my therapist and do the hard work and take the pain and sadness that going deeper really brought. At first I hurt more and then not at all! It took time.

I was thwarted left and right, until I gave in to the idea that my feelings were valid! I had to get rid of any guilt I felt having the repressed thoughts I had.

I know what it is to admit I hate everyone and everything that they ever did to me...and then translate that into being pain free. And know that there is nothing wrong with my feelings!

I may be wrong in thinking that anyone can do it! But I think you can, and it is a gift!

It's how you take it.

And you are not a failure if it takes alot of time! But your relief will come.

Don't read things I haven't said!
Sandy
PS The hate I have doesn't fester in me because it isn't hidden in myself anymore. None of the offenders even know it, because I love them too!

Edited by - ssjs on 12/23/2006 14:04:42
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  14:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy,

Shawn has beaten me to it, but I want to say I perceived your first post as rather negative and unwelcoming. If all one had to do was read the book / go to a therapist there wouldn’t be much point in having this forum.

This forum is a great resource for exchanging ideas and I think members, including yourself, have made some very rich contributions which other people can benefit from.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  18:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sandy,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. One of my frustrations is that the title of the forum is TMSHELP and sometimes it's darn near hard to find any TMS on it. There's as much or more discussion of non-Sarno books as Sarno.

All anyone has to do is read the books. But if that doesn't help, see a TMS friendly psychotherapist. I think the board can be as much of a distraction to avoid TMS self talk--but then isn't that what TMS is all about, distraction from repressed feelings surfacing? What better proof of the power of distraction than posting about modalities irrelevant to TMS on a board devoted to TMS.

Trying to do psychothearpy over the board is a bust too. The minute you point out psychological inconsistencies, the person you are trying to help, puts up their defenses and feels ganged-up on.

I try to mainly just cite pages in Sarno that are relevant, or refer them to the links for TMS practitioners.

What I find most amusing is when people don't think Sarno presents enough scientific evidence--30 years of clinical evidence and thousands "cured" by reading a book or attending lectures is not enough?

Sandy, your post resonated with me. It was direct, honest and to the point. Candy canes in your Christmas stocking from me.

Cheers,
tt
Go to Top of Page

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  06:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tt
well I wasn't suprised by the reception at all! I know that this board is used as a distraction from people really finding out what the trouble is. i see the same people asking each week about a new pain, and a new book, and a new theory, but not actually doing what they need to do to get better.

Do I think the pain is their fault? NO. I know that what is stopping them from seeing is hard to overcome. But the mind is an amazing thing! Surely if they can read things in my post, that weren't even there, they can eventually try to see the things that are there!

So the question is... why do you hang out here so much if it is so frustrating? I pop up once every few months, mostly at time that I am bored and need to be distracted. Then i stop myself because I do not really see this as a helpful place. I start getting aches and pains suddenly that stop as soon as I stop reading the posts!

Think deeply. Why are you here so often if no one listens, and it is so frustrating?
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  09:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good and fair question Sandy. I'll give a few answers "off the top of my head". That phrase itself belies the character of TMS. I have an avid interest in life and living. Psychology is a big driver of human life. I have learned alot about life and "me, myself and I", by reading Dr. Sarno's books.

The TMSHelp Forum is the only place on the planet where it is actively discussed in a public way. There is a lot of talk these days about integrating the mindbody. The Good Doctor has taken the hyphen out of that term. I live in a vortex of the mindbody, NorCal. There is probably more Yoga done here than in India. 98% percent of it is body yoga, about 2% is mind yoga based on the ancient Indian tradition that some might view as a religion, (all those Gods).

I find very little discussion of what is going on in the "now" around here accept for discussion of food, wine, current movies, best-sellers, or the advatages of Priuses over Mercedes or BMW's. (By the way, BMW stands for basic Marin wheels, it's the starter car for most high-schoolers around here.)

When the docs, surgeons, and shrinks around here ask me what I'm reading in the hot-tub, and I answer: "I'm reading about psychosmatic medicine": END OF DISCUSSION. You would think there would be lively talks and debates on that topic. But au contrair, nothing. I think something in their sub-conscious is telling them the topic is off-limits. Neither the medicos nor the psychoPhds want anything to do with it. Their unconscius is probably telling them this is gonna' be a deal-breaker. There would be a sea-change, people would have to go back to school and wallets would be hurt deeply. It cost $18-24,000.00 around here for pre-school and $30,000.00 a year to send a kid to Stanford.

Most of what goes on in our mind-brain occurs on an unconscious level. Our actions and reactions are based on a lifetime accumulation of experiences, and sensory inputs, both good and bad. How we are in the moment depends alot on our "ice-bergs" of unconscious psychology.

Most all of our "in the moment" life is conducted "off the top of our heads". Our conscious mind-brain, has a little opening into the now-moment. We can be carried along in this moment clinging to the "ice-berg" of past pre-suppositions and react or we can learn how the game is played and steer our ice-bergs like a ship. The more you understand the functioning of the mind, the rules of the game, the more fun life can be rather than endured. The more connectinons you can see and the more epiphanies can be experienced.

Well Sandy, that's enough for now, but I'm sure more great reasons for me hanging out here will surface. It's time to make my coffee in my Melita #2, pop the Pop-Tart--there's a new flavor, Chocolate-Peppermint, (I'm off crumpets, too hard to find and too time consuming to prepare, now I'm stuck with a surplus of marmalade, yummy by the spoonful).

As i write this, TV Doctor Isadore Rosenfeld is on, (dare I say FOX NEWS,) answering a viewer question about Fibro and saying "the latest gov research on it and CFS finds that it's a real disease and "Don't accept the answer that it's all in your head and that you are NUTS". Thanks doc Izzy for that scientific sumation of psychosomatic medicine "You are not NUTS"...I'm greatly relieved.

I'm not saying doc Izzy is a bad guy, he tries to provide the latest update on structural medicine but it would be nice if they would ask Dr. Sarno on some Sunday morning. He's in NYC too. Or if Doc Izzy would discuss his colleague over at Rusk, Dr. Sarno, (but now that I think of it, he did, in that reference to "It's not all in your head", only mostly.)

Well I don't think more than 10% of what I posted addressed the topic but that's about par for the TMS par-course.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Cheers,
tt
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  09:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Addionally, this idea raised separately (not by you) that one should only talk about Sarno on a TMSHelp board seems a bit too simplistic, as well."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that would be me. How 'bout then, if we talk about TMS, on the TMSHelp Board, on ocassion; maybe Tu/Thurs could be dedicated to TMS and Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat other auteurs.

The Generalizer of Simplisity,
tt
Go to Top of Page

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  16:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually tt, I am not even sure you answered the question!
Why are you here?

Anyway, I am off. I really do believe that most of you are trying so hard to figure it all out, that you are missing what is right in front of you.

That is not to say that you aren't working hard to figure it out.

Just my observation.

Good luck to everyone and merry christmas.
Go to Top of Page

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  03:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the less I come here, the less Im in pain. I just stopped obsessing about it and I think its helping. Granted, Im obsessing about OTHER things, but better that than pain.
Go to Top of Page

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  09:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,
my point exactly.
so, as I have said, I will be on my way...I think.
Sandy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000