TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Falling on the stairs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lizzie

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  14:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone

Being new to this forum I will tell you a little background before asking your comments. I read Healing Back Pain at Easter after suffering 4 years of low back pain and a couple of years of neck pain. I recognised myself in this book and TMs made sense to me then discovered Brady and journalling 6 weeks ago. After an emotional journey with some improvements I felt frustrated that I had not come on "leaps and bounds" like so many in the book, however each time I got a pain I would reassure myself that I was normal. Tonight though I fell on the stairs. I fell forward going up with such a jerk. Now I can feel myself convincing myself that have done something serious and as the evening progresses my back pain increases. I feel quite anxious and feel that same vulnerable, breakable image of my body that I have held for so long coming back to the fore. Has anyone else expereienced this? Is it just a trigger? Any suggestions? How long have others taken to move on/become pain free?

Newmom

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  09:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lizzie, this happens to me a lot. I feel a sharp pain and burning sensation in the same spot as I had an old injury. The funny thing is that I am usually doing something when it happens and not thinking about reinjuring myself. This is what scares me the most also. How do I know if I am hurting myself more or if it is my mind causing the pain. The pain is sooooo real!!

Since learning about TMS, I do not panic and ruin the entire day/night worrying about if I reinjured or hurt myself again every time I feel this pain. The pain usually doesn't go away until I wake up the next morning, but I try to push through the day/evening with the activities I need to do. It is hard. I feel that I am gaining control over the extreme panic and fear that comes with every twinge/pain/pull, etc but they will not disappear and constantly reappear several times a day. However, this is also the hardest part for me "did I hurt myself more." Do not panic. The panic is what caused the pain for me and sometimes I even think I create the pain - because it is what I have been conditioned to do.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  09:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Lizzie,
I feel for you..I just went through something similiar..I fell down a big step I didn't see (it was dark and I was in a new place..)..Right away I was worried about reinjuring my neck/back/knee/ankle..I did, in fact, twist my ankle but I put immediate ice on all areas that were affected..I kept icing and took some advil for a couple of days and I am fine..Chances are it is just a trigger or conditioned response..but putting some ice, just in case, couldn't hurt, in my view, since you did have a fall..
Take care,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you fall, you may be sore or stiff for a couple of days. You may get a bruise. It will take some time to heal but you should notice the pain subsiding.

If the pain increases, graduates to painful spasms, or becomes chronic long after the event, it is likely that TMS has siezed the opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Lizzie

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  14:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help. New Mom you sound so similar to me in your fear/pain which somehow helps.

I started to journal earlier and although my back pain did not go I suddenly got distracted by a sharp new pain in my ribs. I am trying to see this as positive as if I must have been onto something in my journal. Will keep battling. Know I have been particularly under pressure this week with work and children whilst husband away on business and mother who often helps out away for a couple of months. Sometimes it seems the fear of being incapacitated when there is no one else to help out makes me more anxious. Vicious circle so could have done without the fall on the stairs! Nice to be listened to here though!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000