TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Piriformis Syndrome and TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Dr. Sarno discuss ANYTHING about priformis syndrome?Does he think that is a form of TMS? I see how it could be but.......Ive halted much of the pains using the TMS theory so I beleieve that it could be and IS true in some bizarre way.Ive come very far with getting rid of pain since reading his book a week ago. My problem is this Sciatica like stuff is not subsiding as "fast" as the other pains.Crap, I dunno if its even real Sciatica. Im thinking of going to this Dr here in Los Angeles who is the newest Guru of nerve imaging to find out if I really HAVE something or not. I dunno should I just be convinced its TMS? Since Ive never had a nerve study should I go? Yes I believe that discs are very rarely the pain makers but does he mention Piriformis Syndrome? Good God back pain and sciatica suck. Ever since discovering TMS Ive had good results but Im still questioning it, and Im scared that if I neglect a REAL problem and just use TMS theories I could be fooling myself. LOL what a wild ride this is.

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  12:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I believe piriformis syndrome is considered a TMS equivalent.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  12:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't post here often, but check the boards quite a bit. Kevin T, just wanted to let you know that I was able to "cure" what a physical therapist called "piriformis syndrome" by listening to the audio book of healing back pain. (Now I have other TMS equivalents I'm fighting in place of it, what Dr. Sarno calls The Symptom Imperative) My orthopaedic surgeon told me he did not believe in piriformis syndrome and called it sciatica! My disks were normal on MRI which helped me to believe Dr. Sarno quicker and puzzled the orthopaedist. Then when I went to the PE guy, he called it piriformis syndrome. All I know is that it is gone and all I have done is increase my physical activity. My advice is to make sure you don't totally abandon physical activity and continue the TMS work. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Neil

If it is chronic, I will not believe it.
Go to Top of Page

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  00:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have a theory that movement itself "relieves" priformis syndrome (so called) just by the act alone.It would be understandable to believe that P.S. is another T.M.S.I dont have the usuall sciatica.It doesnt run down the backs of my legs and so on.It moves,changes,front and back,pins and needles.I sit for hours and it doesnt really get worse,its just"there".Anyways, I will try to remember the TMS principal even though its screaming at me for attention.

Thank You ......Kev
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  09:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From page 17-18 of Dr. John Sarno's THE DIVIDED MIND:

"...there are a number of soft tissue disorders that are also blamed for the pain of TMS. These misdiagnoses include:

...Pain in the buttock attributed to compression of the sciatic nerve by the piriformis muscle--a rather frivolous concept with no evidence of validity."
Go to Top of Page

kevin t

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  09:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to get the "Divided Mind" thanks for the info.Man Im pissed at pain today .LOL God this sucks BALLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000