TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Experiences with 'curing' Tinnitus?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  04:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm trying to get my mind to give up the RSI like complaints. It is more important than any other complaint in my world at the moment and I've not yet succeeded, but it made me think..

I've read that some cases of tinnitus (permanent ringing in the ears) can also be regarded as TMS. I don't really understand why because it's hardly any distraction from any emotions, but that doesn't matter. I have tinnitus since I was young, from back when I listened to a lot of ridiculously loud music and earphones. I can't recall exactly but I remembered it might have come to exist close to when my RSI started, but maybe earlier.

This makes me wonder two things:
Are there any people who succesfully cured tinnitus?
How do people who succesfilly cured a TMS related complaint think about the best approach, thinking off all problems that might be TMS related at once, or handle them one at a time?

My logic sais 'handle the whole TMS thing at once,' but my experience sais 'handling only RSI is hard enough.'

Maybe some die-hard TMS conquerers find this question amusing, but for me it's all new and weird and not yet working.

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  00:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I have numerous different symptoms and while my general body-wide pain has begun improving, some of the other stuff hasn't yet, including the tinnitus. I'm not sure if the ear thing is definitely part of TMS for me, because I did have a ruptured ear drum twice and was also around loud music a lot--my former husband played in a band and practice was at our house, plus I spent a lot of time in the bars where he played.

But, what I've read in books and on this board is that it's better not to think of treating TMS on a one-symptom-at-a-time basis, but to focus on the psychological and emotional, rather than focusing on the physical symptoms. Focusing on the physical has been compared to a whack-a-mole game, where you get rid of one symptom and another pops up.

If you haven't already done a search on the word "tinnitus," you might find some of the previous threads on that interesting.

Best wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  20:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - I have successfully (well 95%) cured tinnitus with a combination of TRT and TMS. Search "tinnitus" on this site and find the topic entitled "Tinnitus".
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  03:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be awesome.. I can cure my RSI and my tinnitus? lol
I will look into this TRT (don't know it) as soon as I am fully confident about TMS.

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  10:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not uncommon for people to get rid of a host of auxiliary complaints along with their main one. I killed off a whole bunch of random pains, including knees that had bothered me for 12 years!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  12:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My logic sais 'handle the whole TMS thing at once,' but my experience sais 'handling only RSI is hard enough.'

Logic is right, but so is your experience! I would advise you to just concentrate on the RSI until you're feeling confident that you've got it licked. Otherwise you might get overwhelmed. But it's up to you to judge, of course.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  13:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fox, if you should read this, I took your suggestion (finally) and read the TRT site. Could youplease explain to us fellow sufferers what steps you took on a daily basis in conjunction with this therapy. Thanks for any help.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  15:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to make this short as I have a big time TMS headache that I'm trying to talk myself out of - so my concentration is way off right now...My TRT/TMS routine was: I told myself repeatedly that the ringing was psychogenic rather than due to my history of exposure to loud noises. I believed the TRT doctrine that everyone can hear low background noises but most folks aren't aware of this, but I chose to focus on these noises because for me they represented a threat (I have many other sensitivities relating to hypervigilance as well)/were a convenient method for distraction from my unconscious conflicts and current stresses. I refused to avoid loud noises (unless they were REAL loud). I refused to wear ear plugs unless the noise was super loud - like the Rolling Stones concert I went to. I slept with a noise machine on for months and did other forms of sound conditioning advocated by TRT folks. I played my car radio extra loud whenever I got the ringing just to challenge my fears. I told myself that, yes, I had measurable hearing loss, but that there was no evidence that this should be associated with tinnitus. I told myself each time the ringing came on that it would pass shortly, and it did. I noticed how my ringing came on as soon as someone mentioned tinnitus or I read about it and realized what a bunch of BS the whole thing must be.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  16:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS - I also had to do what you always have to do with TMS disorders -I had to remind myself frequently to think psychological and to force myself to DO it - no matter how exhausting and time consuming this seemed to be...I had to think of why I might need the distraction of the ringing and its associated fear and anxiety. I thought of my current stresses (especially relationships at home and work), my predisposing personality, and my childhood traumas (and how they might make me susceptible and vulnerable to current environmental stimuli).
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  16:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more PS - I haven't had the ear ringing thing for weeks, but since I responded to the post by Joela late this afternoon, I've had it going on constantly - as loud, I suppose, as it would be if you'd fired a pistol next to my ear....I've got to laugh at my childish/primitive brain....I am so suggestible, and my brain will grasp for the most absurb distraction if it thinks it will work...At least my headache is better, now that I've go this new distraction for the time being ...By the way, the ringing is no problem if you don't allow the anxiety and fear to accompany it, and the anxiety and fear is only there if you think it's a physical problem - which it obviously isn't - at least in my case.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  16:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Fox. It's so hard!
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  04:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tinnitus for maybe 7 years now and yes I always thought it was physical, but I've never had fear or anxiety about it. After a while you get used to it. So the fear isn't keeping it alive.

Also,
quote:
Originally posted by Fox

I told myself each time the ringing came on that it would pass shortly
when I read that I can doubt a little.. my ringing has never been away to come back later.

Anyway like Hilary said, I have to focus on RSI first. It's coming back after only a week of success. I think I can focus on the whole TMS picture and other stuff only when I'm fully confident I got this nailed. Also the ringing is just annoying at times, but the RSI has already crippled a big portion of my life, and I can't allow it to continue.

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  09:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any time that I "check" for the ringing, it's there. If I don't "check" for it or don't encounter something in my environment that I expect to bring it on (loud noises [conditioning]), it's usually not. Which is compatible with TRT theory. I have a similar situation with my sciatica.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  11:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should add that my ringing was non-stop for about 4 months after attending a fireworks display (as I remember) - which was followed by 50/50 ringing/nonringing for about 2(?) years before I applied TMS and TRT....Give TRT a try. What else can you do anyhow? I've not heard of any other cure. Have you?
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  13:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will definitely look into it, when I got my RSI away. But to answer your question, yes I heard of LASER therapy to cure tinnitus, but I never really looked into it.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000