TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 I Miss the Old Board's Thread Tree Style
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  09:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss the old board's thread tree style. I thought I would adjust to the new style but it still isn't happening. The old syle, to my dimming memory, seemed more alive, current and timely. I could skim down the board in a linear fashion, peruseing current posts and bypassing the ones I had read, which had changed to a contrasting color.

The "bells and whistles", smilies, fonts, colors, etc, of the new board are interesting but I do not avail myself of them. I think the nature of TMS, dealing with stream of consciousness, negative emotions bubbling to the surface, displayed itself more graphically with the old style.

P.S. I think it may be very useful and more efficient for new comers to post their TMS bios in the their profile. Newbies often ask the old timers about their TMS history. This can be quite consuming a task especially if going on ten years such as mine.

I have a diabetic cat and ofren look at the FDMB.com site that deals with it. They require posting a profile of your cat's med facts. I am going to dredge up my TMS history and try to post it soon and then update it as it changes. Being a TMS perfectionist, thus a procastinator, this may be a while.

Dave, is there any way to give the reader the option of using the old style? This is not a critcism. It may be a reflection of my TMS brain, "where the heart is slow to learn, what the mind sees at every turn". I appreciate all the work it must take to create and maintain this board and it is an important and integral part of my day. I usually look at it first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Thanks for all your work and thoughtful help.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/26/2004 09:30:16

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  23:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say am quite the opposite .
I briefly looked at the old forum, and let me say I thought the format was horrible. In fact, back when the old board was active I never actually got into it because of its 'cumbersome' e-mail-like interface.
For a new user it was very confusing and hard to actually know where a thread was going and had come from(I had to click too many times just to understand the thread). My brain probably works differently hehe.
But I do think filling out the bio section is very useful. I was for a time adding a signature with my details but that kind of clogged up the board a bit.
Although regarding this forum I would like to be able to choose to list a hundred topics rather than the current 10-20 per page
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  13:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Tom.

I also spend a lot of time in the new board format re-reading replies that I have already read, trying to get down to new replies that I have not seen yet. The old format was very easy to just read new things.

I'm probably spending 2 to 3 times as much time as I used to. The purple folder notation works some, but if you don't happen to read all the replies for that login session, there is no way I have found to "hold" the remaining folders as purple during the next login session.

Also, like you said, this is not criticism at all, since I think everyone here is doing a great job.

Just my 2 cents, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 09/27/2004 13:24:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  14:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Show Newest Posts First option at the top of each thread may make it easier for you to scan for new messages.

As for the board's style, I agree that the tree view is a plus. We are now using a popular, open source bulletin board system that is always being enhanced. I hope to see this option soon. (I may even implement it myself if I can find some free time.)

Other than the tree view, I believe this board has many advantages over the previous software. Most importantly, it was necessary to move to a registration-based forum due to several instances of abuse that started to occur on the old board.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  10:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. I changed to "newest posts first" and I think that might help. I also miss the quick "NM" for a brief comment or congratulations. Do you have any suggestion on how to do that without a formal post?
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  12:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took a while to get used to it, but now I like the new format better.
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  08:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we still access the old board, and if so where is it located?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000