TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hysteria article in New York Times
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hope808

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  09:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an article on Hysteria in today's New York Times. If you read it, you will see that Dr. Sarno is way ahead of the broader medical establishment on this topic.

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/26/science/26hysteria.html?8dpc

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  12:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the article and link 808 and Ralph!

My first reaction is: CAN YOU SPELL TMS . NY Times huh? I skimmed the article quickly, realizing if I got bogged down in the BIG Harvard words, dealing with "structural" mind physiology, I would never get through it. I have better things to do with my time today, like help get my 84 year old pappy into the hot-tub, which he enjoys so much.

Putting the article into "workingman's" terms, (sorry, workingperson's terms), would not cut it with the Pulitzer nominating board, so about 90% percent of those effected by the malady would never muddle through the aritcle.

The problem with the article is that it makes the "cure" complicated, when it it quite simple and needs no "new" research or clinical testing. Just give a call to the Good Doctor, he's been doing clinical research for 30 years. How much more scientific research does one need? Should we all wait around for the after-life, when it will all be better?

Great thorough research, on the Time's reporter's part...(Dave, is there a smilie for "sarcasm"?). The formost, contemorary proponent, of the topic, a humble doctor by the name of Dr. John E. Sarno, is practicing in the same Metropolis. Dr. Sarno has written 4 books on the topic, and done numerous media interviews, yet didn't apparently turn up in the journalist's research.

The writer is trying desparately to find a structural "switch", in the mind, to surgicaly or pharmaceuticaly "fix", rather than ever emphasizing such mundane causes as: the "human condition" and the emotional stresses creating psychosomatic dis-ease.

Maybe she can take the next step in finding a cure for such mind aillments: micro-lobtomies. Those Beverly Hills plastic surgeons could throw them in with the lipo--just suck out a little grey matter to reduce furrowing of the forehead.

While the author got much of it right, such as the large number of "un-curables" vexing clinicians, she missed the point. The cure is here, now, and it is within us--maybe with a little guidance by a TMS knowledgeable therapist.

Oh well, I can relate to the rigors of a stressed out reporter with a deadline to make and editors to please. On to the next assignment, maybe stemcell.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/26/2006 18:55:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000