TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 The Divided Mind Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  20:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been re-reading TDM and I saw something that confused me about the middle of p. 65: "The psychosomatic symptoms--whether pain, discomfort, depression, or whatever--are activated solely to reinforce repression and protect the person from mental pain or discomfort."

You have to read it carefully, but to me it seems to say something nonsensical; that, "DEPRESSION" is activated solely to protect the person from mental pain, eg. DEPRESSION.

Does anyone else read it this way?

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  03:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrldtrv

I have been re-reading TDM and I saw something that confused me about the middle of p. 65: "The psychosomatic symptoms--whether pain, discomfort, depression, or whatever--are activated solely to reinforce repression and protect the person from mental pain or discomfort."

You have to read it carefully, but to me it seems to say something nonsensical; that, "DEPRESSION" is activated solely to protect the person from mental pain, eg. DEPRESSION.

Does anyone else read it this way?

I believe he's talking about the mental pain of awareness.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  07:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art

I agree. Depression is a symptom, a numbing of the mind and body, serving to protect us from feeling the actual repressed emotions that we are denying, such as rage and fear.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  10:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree. When you're depressed over your pet dying, it's real emotion.

When you're just depressed, it's covering something.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  10:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, depression is a TMS affective (emotional) symptom, that serves the same purposes as physical ones, such as back, RSI, IBS, F, etc.
Having experienced a "significant" one within the past year, I can attest to it.

Funny though, I'm starting to forget, (repress), the experience, through the normal, day to day, attrition of memory.

I was hoping to remember and learn more from the experience, but time marchs on and the months of depression are fading. There were some good aspects to it that I miss. Plenty of time to do nothing, gives one an alternative life view,(a western form of meditaion), watching a lot of TV and staying up with current events.

Learned a lot from Mad Cramer on stocks. I'm actually loseing money by not being deprssed and watching Cramer. Lost all appetite and 30 pounds, but was too weak to take advantage of it--gained it all back, plus.

Being depressed gets you out of having to do things like a physical symptom would. Get to see docs, rx's, get to go to the brain gym for gray matter therapy, slough off tasks on others, gets you out of jury duty. Good TMS symptom for not having to engage in life. It's ok to have suicidal thoughts as long as you don't plan out the details and do it.

Have a nice day
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  12:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Learned a lot from Mad Cramer on stocks. I'm actually loseing money by not being deprssed and watching Cramer. Lost all appetite and 30 pounds, but was too weak to take advantage of it--gained it all back, plus.

I can get depressed just listening to that maniac scream...Why can't he just make his point like evryone else?
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  17:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes sense. Thanks all.

Actually, I have been in fairly good shape mentally and physically for the past couple of months at least, after many months of feeling terrible. I been doing a bunch of "14-ers" in CO lately, and doing so well at these was a confidence booster.

Still, there's always the day-to-day annoying little things. Last week it was "tinnitus" and this week--today anyway, my shoulder has been acting up (tinnitus gone). So many of these things are old standbys. They seem to rotate: leg/buttock, rotator cuff, tinnitus, hamstring, and on and on. The good thing is that I no longer react in great distress or panic as before. Things have been moving in the right direction.

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  17:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"I can get depressed just listening to that maniac scream...Why can't he just make his point like evryone else?"
------------------------------------------------------------------

When the money rolls in from his tips, he's no longer so annoying to listen to.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  18:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art
...Why can't he [Mad Cramer] just make his point like everyone else?

Because its infotainment and not news, but you knew that ;-) -Stryder
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000