TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tooth Pain?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ktulu

14 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  19:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is any type of tooth pain part of TMS? I had a cavity drilled and filled last year and have had pain in my tooth whenever I bite down. I have been to numerous dentists that can't seem to figure out why I'm having pain. I have had it refilled 4 or 5 times but no relief, then they recommended I see an endodontist about a possible root canal. I went to an endodontist who said that the symptoms I have are not typical of what someone of a root canal needs.
Anyway the pain has been there for about a year now. I've had a lot of the TMS symptoms in the past-low back pain, neck pain, frequent headaches, vertigo syndrome, etc. Just wondering if this could be a symptom of TMS and also why I cannot conquer TMS!

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  20:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe you can't beat TMS cause you're so fixed on chasing the symptoms around. Make the stuff trapped in your head a priority, and accept the pain. Stop focusing and worrying about it and just focus on releaseing your emotions. The tooth is a diversion from the emotion, it's winning, you need to change that.

Darko
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  21:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darko x2
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  22:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your TMS may have you bruxating (grinding your teeth) when awake or asleep. The pain is real, but the cause is your inner rage. A lot of bruxating can irritate a lot of things (and give you TMJ too) and wear down your teeth.

If you have have been checked out and do not have an infection or a serious condition, then ignore the tooth and go after your TMS as others have said.

By the way, tell us, what's going on in your life? Have you located your anger?

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 09/08/2006 10:38:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  07:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, it's likely tooth grinding or simply clenching your jaw. You may do this while you are awake and not even realize it.

Every once in awhile I do a "tension check" and consciously relax my entire body. You'd be surprised what your body is unconsciously doing without you being aware of it. I often find my shoulders are tensed up and my jaw is clenched. It's all part of the bad habits due to TMS...
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  20:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I had pain while biting down on the left side- it sort of felt like my tooth was moving a little bit. The dentist said I had a small crack around my filling and he replaced the filling. Well, it got better briefly then came back exactly as before when I would bite down on something. After several more trips to the dentist and the discussion of a possible root canal because no other cause could be found, one night I noticed that it hurt in the same place on the OTHER side. For me that is a sure bet that it is TMS. Once I realized that, it has gone away and I needed no further dental work.
I think there probably was an initial cause that was 'real' but my body likes to hold onto pain patterns even when the source is fixed.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

ktulu

14 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  14:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I'm not too sure. I mean I am naturally a skeptical person who doesn't automatically accept radical ideas, but I was so sure I accepted the idea of TMS (Or at least as much as I could). I mean I would tell myself that it was TMS but usually back in mind I still had a lingering doubt that there was some physical abnormality, because after all, I'm quite a worrier and to just get rid of the idea that there is a possibility that something is wrong is hard to do.
I have only had the type of pain on this one tooth and I never had it before until the dentist drilled it for a cavity. I always blamed him for screwing it up but I've been to multiple places after that and everyone says it looks fine.
I wouldn't say anything major is going in in my life at this time, but plenty of little things that add up I'm sure. I journaled for a while this year but I didn't feel it was helping, so I have come back to only doing it when I'm really stressed. Plus I felt like everyday I was repeating the same thing. I usually spend some quiet time to reflect on my life situtations. I do realize that I do have a lot of physical symptoms induced by my emotional states, but as much as I tell myself that it is because of that, it doesn't seem to do much to rid the pain.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  14:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tooth pain is a tough one because for sure some of it is for real. Once you know you are TMS prone, it's just good to have a high level of suspicion for any chronic pain for which no cause can be found. If worse comes to worse, a root canal actually may help you. They will go in and clean out the nerve so that it is not possible for pain to be coming from the tooth. Of course if your pain is not coming from the tooth but rather somewhere in your jaw, it won't help you at all. It is an expensive and uncomfortable gamble so I'd try to treat it as TMS as long as you can stand to.
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  12:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say that just recently, I've had a bit of tooth pain (back at the mollars) and realized it was TMS. One of the keys was when I felt the pain on the opposite side from where I had it a day later.

Peace of mind, check with the dentist but don't fret if it doesn't go away with dental procedures, you may be just like me - it was TMS.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000