TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Rolfing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I know the answer but am going to ask anyway:
Is rolfing considered a modality that would tell the brain something structural is going on? Just curious. If tendon connective tissue is deprived of oxygen, fascia would also be affected/tight. So is rolfing an acceptable form of helping get oxygen to the tendon in question? Thanks.

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  15:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got rolfed once a long time ago. That was enough to convince me. It cost a lot of money and didn't do anything for my TMS. Seems to me just another ineffectual physical therapy treatment.
Go to Top of Page

robbokop

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  15:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had it once. A load of nonsense in my opinion - had no effect on me, and if it does with others I'm sure it's a placebo.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  16:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having used a form of self-stretching designed by a Rolfing practitioner, I'm going to go with placebo here. Albeit an effective one for me.

It's basically a really deep form of massage directed at connective tissue, and massage is definitely a placebo, albeit a pleasant one.

But as I recall, you are uncertain about whether your current symptoms are TMS...so...maybe it would be a placebo worth trying? (Heretical suggestion, I know.)

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  18:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
11 years ago I was in a bad car accident (whiplash, spine yadayada), and rolfing was the thing that broke my cycle of pain. Yes it was pricey, but well worth it b/c it worked. It was a very painful experience, both physically and emotionally. I found my rolfer very compassionate and safe and I told him a great deal about my emotional trauma not only from the accident, but from my life at the time. I cried sometimes as I talked thru feelings I was experiencing. It was like psychotherapy while getting deep tissue massage. I think if you find a good practitioner who tries to pull you thru the emotional side of therapy, then you can work thru the physical AND emotional pain to reach wellness. Controversial like TMS, Rolfing's primary premise is that emotion gets locked into our cells and causes disease and pain.

>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  21:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did rolfing about 5 years ago. Had about 80-90 sessions. Concentrated on the physical not emotional aspects. It did nothing for MY right hip arthritis/"probably not TMS". I "enjoyed" the body-work but I'm somewhat masochistic.

I would do it again for the pure pleasure of it--but not to fix anything that IS TMS. It is an interesting experience in and of it's self--kind of like surgery without the cutting.

It has it's followers who pursue it for emotional reasons. They see auras and such. I have no doubt, when in such a "sublime" pain state, one could be induced into seeing most anything.

I just got an email from my old rolfer with an offer to his old clients before he raises his rates. He's getting up to close to $200 a session. I used to pay $90. I feel this is way too much for what is in reality really really deep massage. Then again you don't want anyone rolfing you who doesn't know their stuff.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  22:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eighty to ninety sessions? And pleasureable? Are you sure what you had was rolfing, TT? I had it back in the late 70's when it was the hip thing to do. I had ten sessions, which was considered the complete program.

In short, I thought it was an expensive and painful ripoff. It was oversold and underdelivered. In fact, it did absolutely nothing for me except to lighten my wallet at a time when it was already pretty light.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  23:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
did rolfing about 5 years ago. Had about 80-90 sessions

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page