TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Help Me Accept It
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MRosenthal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  17:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am writing because I am desperate. I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in January of this year. When I first injured my back I had difficulty sitting at work all day. It would flare up. Once that went away I started experiencing these intense spasms that feel like the most intense dull pain you could imagine. During the spasms I can move or bend or whatever, but the pain does not subside for about 1 minute and a half. The pain usually happens when I get up from a seated position and start to walk. I feel it gradually flare up and then it becomes almost intolerable. I read Dr. Sarno's book a while ago and own the video of his seminar. I have trouble convincing myself that the disc is not causing this pain. I do fall into the category of being a pleaser and a "good" person. I do feel as though I am a perfectionist with friends and family, but not really with work ethic. I am also insecure with a lot of things in my life and have gone through lots of trauma since my injury including buying a house, losing a best friend to cancer, and job stress. Could someone give me advice as how I can make myself believe that I have TMS and not major structural damage? I am a pessimist in many cases so I feel I need to hear the TMS diagnosis from Dr. Sarno to really believe in it.

Thanks,
Matt

iyusaf

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  17:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The audiobook version of 'Healing Back Pain' is good way to hear Dr. Sarno if you are unable to visit him in person.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  09:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt-Your desperation and fear is the common thread in tms. When we all realize we have tms, we all must begin to work thru the fear. The pain is terrifying and the fear that we are doing the right thing by ignoring it is also frightening. You are not alone. We have all been thru this and are in various stages of recovery. Give Sarno a chance. You have nothing to lose. For me, the fear was worse then the pain. Reread sarno's book and then buy his other book and read it several times. Go thru the process of journaling. It is helpful. If you will use reason, Sarno makes sense. Your pain when you stand up is a matter of conditioning. If you can begin to accept tms,it is important to resume your life and do your best not to obsess over the pain. This is not easy as obsessing is usually one of our personality traits. Throw yourself into the Sarno process and you will see results. Don't be alarmed if you pain moves or the intensity changes. This is normal as you begin to heal. Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000