TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Meditation and Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Plantweed

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  06:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had success with either of these, in terms of getting your mind to relax which would result in getting free of pain and stiffness? I'm thinking of trying one or both of them and wanted to see how others have fared.

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  06:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent success. Yoga integrates mediation and overall body strength and flexibility in one discipline. It is a great supplement to any athletic activity or as an exercise in and of itself due to the balance it gives you mentally and physically.
Go to Top of Page

redskater

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  08:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you are thinking of using this to cure TMS, then you are still thinking structural.

Gaye
Go to Top of Page

Plantweed

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  08:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to "cure" TMS, but as an active way to reduce stress and become more balanced and calm, which I would think would help to fight the TMS gremlin from using your body as a punching bag.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  09:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, and I feel Yoga also helps you look inward, which is something we TMS'ers tend not to do. If anything, we repress that which comes from within.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  17:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gaye, I think you are barking a bit up the wrong tree here. Yoga is a mindful activity, and also physical exercise -- both things recommended by Sarno.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  20:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had some success with meditation for my pain before I ever knew about TMS. I think both meditation and yoga help to calm our minds and are therefore right in line with TMS theory. I wish I had the dicipline to do it on a regular basis because when I do either one, it makes me feel so much better overall. Definitely worth a try - along with, not instead of, the other TMS work.
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  20:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a couple of months with a shrink, I know for a fact that a lot of my anxiety comes from my mind being constantly in the past or future. These are things that cannot be altered so it can drive you nuts. Yoga disciplines you to filter that out and think in the present. That helps a lot. There is no structural problem. There is, however a mental problem.

It is easy if you haven't partaken in Yoga to see it as a physical only activity. On the contrary, however, it is more mental than not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000