TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 prednisone question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tallpaul

15 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  19:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Sarnos book "Healing Back Pain" he says the prednisone typically works on TMS patients. It certainly does for me and typically temporarily cures 100% of my symptoms. Advil (an anti-inflamatory) also works to a lesser degree. I don't understand why this is if the pain is due to oxygen deprivation. It seems more reasonable to conclude that the prednisone is simply reducing the size of whatever is pressing on a nerve. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

Nor

152 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  21:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is my understanding that TMS conditions can actually cause inflammation but that this is a mindbody reaction. If you read Sarno's newest book, he gets into more detail about the relationship b/w symptoms and there emotional causes. Think about how your heart beats faster and your stomach turns when you are nervous.
Nor
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  12:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is difficult to believe that Prednisone would reduce the pressure on a nerve. Prednisone could be having a placebo effect.

Read the section in Dr. Sarno’s book about how a witch doctor took someone out 40 miles into the jungle, killed a bunch of chickens over a four hour period, ranted and raved, etc. and the guy’s pain went away. It went away because he expected it to go away.

Dr. Sarno comments in his books about so called pinched nerves, impacted nerves, etc. He maintains that such conditions are rare. When they do occur they normally do not cause pain.

They show up on a MRI and doctors conclude that they are the cause of pain such as sciatica pain, which I had. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, the vertebrae pressing on the spinal cord. I never had the suggested operation and I have been pain free for five years.

My I suggest that you also read Dr. Sarno’s Mind Body Prescription.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

tallpaul

15 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  13:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it could be a placebo effect, but it is hard for me to believe since it works so good - although I would like to believe it and I do believe in the placebo effect. I know the mind is a powerful thing, but I guess I have not learned to control it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  08:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe TMS can cause inflammation. It is consistent with other autoimmune reactions.

Prednisone is powerful (and harmful if taken long term) and affects the body in many ways. It supresses the immune system. If TMS symptoms are autoimmune, it is logical that prednisone would decrease them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000