TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 headache help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atg

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  12:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am feeling very torn right now. I am working part time for one of the most eminent headache neurologists in the country. I have had severe headaches for over a year, and for the majority of that time have believed unequivocally that it was a TMS manifestation. I have all of the traits. Several of his clients have tested with high CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) pressure, and the neurologist is 100% certain that that is the cause of their headaches. He treats them using a multi-disciplinary approach (the drug diamox is supposed to reduce CSF pressure) and he has about an 85% success rate.

When I saw him as a patient a year ago, he gave me a lumbar puncture and diagnosed me with having high CSF pressure as well. I discontinued taking diamox after only a minimal dose due to severe dry mouth as a side effect.

The TMS psychologist I've been seeing believes the headaches are caused by the enormous amount of pressure I put on myself, of which I certainly do. But I am being torn in the direction of the physcial seeing all of these other headache patients on a weekly basis who have the same "high CSF pressure" diagnosis that I was given, and seeing many of them be successfully treated.

I asked the neurologist what causes high CSF pressure and he said that it is unknown at this time. So I suppose that it is possible that high CSF pressure is simply the mechanism by which the TMS is working, but that seems like a bold assumption (not to mention a convenient one).

Does anyone have any helpful insight? I know there is a neurologist who frequents this board, drzzt or something like that. I'd appreciate any insight or information regarding my narrow understanding of the process.

Thanks

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  15:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be hard pressed to call that problem (Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, or Pseudotumor Cerebri) a TMS equivalent. You are correct that the cause is unknown, but it can have very bad consequences (blindness) if not treated properly, so this is one instance when I would tell you to go the usual medical route. This isn't to say you should ignore your emotional health, but you should listen to your neurologist as well.
Go to Top of Page

atg

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  14:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I know that extremely high CSF pressure can be dangerous, but mine was closer to the high range. I believe that the normal range is 10-20 Hg mm or something like that. And mine is around 22-23 Hg mm. So I thought that the neurologist might be (in an attempt to find a cause) assigning this slightly high CSF pressure as the cause of the headaches when it's really just a correlation.
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  15:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case, you may be right. If you have no evidence of papilledema, and the pressure you mentioned, a diagnosis of pseudotumor is a bit equivocal. I think that if that is the case, and your vision is normal, it would make sense to use the TMS approach if it makes sense to you as a cause of your headaches.

Naturally, you should consult with your physician before making any medical decisions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000