TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 anti-depressants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulcote

9 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  11:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the remedy for TMS is to think about what your issues are. When I do this and sense the inner anger the pain does subside some.

I have a limp now and that is really making me mad. I don't feel like excercising. My hip hurts when I want to tie my shoe or bend over or sometimes even walk. At other times, my hip does not hurt but I still Limp.

I decided after listening to the radio to try Aleve and it makes me feel better. I am thinking that taking this for a week as an experiment might break the pain cycle even though I know it is psychological. It does seem to help.

I have yet to go to a Doctor.

I don't want to have to train the doctor on TMS.

I think they are trained on drugs.

I saw on TV how antidepressants cure pain and am believing that unconscious anger is a form of depression and wondering if an antidepressant could help.

Even though I think psychological, there is still a huge reserve of repressed rage

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  11:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel Paul,
I struggle with this issue of taking something or not as well...Tonight is my big art reception for the exhibition at the library..So, I am taking hydrocodone..I took advil already today and sometimes take Aleve...But...those anti-inflammatories are sooo bad for the liver and stomach...Dr. Sarno does not recommend them..In his video he says if the pain is severe he will sometimes prescribe just a regular pain killer for a time...As for anti-depressants, I think some of the old timers who know alot more them me should answer that one...
Take care and feel better!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

paulcote

9 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  13:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cjbdrm

I used to take Ibuprofen every day. Haven't touched the stuff in months. I'm sending a message to my brain by not taking it.

Reject the physical. Embrace the psychological.

Yeah I do and I don't know that taking aleve means I think it is physical. It only means that I think if I get over this pain for a short period of time, I might not need to limp any more. I used to work at a factory where the nurse would prescribe Motrin for a week for back pain. So I think taking it for a week might work. I have had this pain for years and have not ever taken anything for it. This is the first.

Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  14:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took anti-depressants for a little while so I could just try not dwelling on so much negativity. It did help clear my head so I could come up with a better plan of action to get my life together. Part of that plan included getting off the anti-depressants.

If it's a means to an end, then it can help. What it can't become is a crutch that one turns to each time pain comes back. It's no better than drinking to "take the edge off." People feel the need to take the edge off because of repressed emotions IMO. Sooner or later it has the potential to become a dangerous crutch.

Good luck.

Jay
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  14:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anti-inflamatories are BAD. Especially if taken regularly. I took them for years to keep working despite my TMS.

I really suffered for it by having BAD stomach problems. Took me years to get over it, even after I stopped taking them.

Anybody who thinks they can "break the pain cycle" for a few days or weeks and then be "all better" isn't really understanding Sarno's theories, I don't think.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

paulcote

9 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  15:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have not taken aleve for anything until this week and now I am excercising and everything else. I have read all of Sarno's books. I have been reading his books for a couple years. I didn't get an understanding of how to think psychological till this year. I wake up in the middle of the night. I think that too is a TMS equivalent. I have taken to thinking about my psychological issues while laying in bed wide awake. I also think about them all during the day. Many times I notice subtle anger and fear below the surface which I am becoming more aware of.

Mostly I get upset when people comment on my limp and ask me questions. I don't have good answers. Everyone tells me to go to a Doctor. I don't want to because I don't know what remedies they might have and I just don't like them. I recognize most of my symptoms such as IBS episodes, Sinus, a sort of asthmalike thing I had, colds etc... were all TMS equivalents. Even Drinking. And I know what TMS is all about and I think my hip is psychological. Nevertheless, I have the pain, but the Aleve seems to make it go away.

I figure if I can get rid of hte pain for a week with the Aleve then the limp pavlovian reaction will diminish.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000